Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer

A new trailer on the Star Wars: The Old Republic Website shows Jedi Knight progression in the upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. Word is: "In this video, you’ll get a sneak peek at how the Jedi Knight can evolve in The Old Republic. This is just a small sampling of the armors and skills available, but we hope this gives you a taste of how the Jedi Knight will look as he develops through the course of the game."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 14:09 Cutter

As I keep saying the MMO thing is done or needs a serious reboot for all too many too obvious reasons. That's why I think the future are going to be games like Neverwinter with Cryptic...not saying they're going to pull it off, but that's the direction the genre needs to take. Not so MMO so real communities spawn, player created content along side what the devs do, etc.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 13:55 Fion

What I don't get about this game is why they are playing it so safe. It really does look like WoW in space and there are dozens of 'reviews' from people in the media industry who've gotten a chance to play the game for a short time who confirm this. Does EA think if they change the formula one ounce the game will fail immediately and they will lose tens of millions? Don't they realize that if the game is 'just' like WoW, it is sure to fail as it certainly won't be able to compete. I mean if you watch like Angry Joe's stuff, he got to play several hours of the game and says the first thing you do in the game as a Jedi is get a quest to 'go kill 10 rats'. That is just pathetic. In today's MMOG world, it just isn't enough.

It is rumored to be the most expensive game production of all time. So why on earth are they playing it so safe? It won't be the next wow clone that beats wow, it will be a game that goes in a totally different direction. And the 'only' MMOG that looks to be doing that in the near future is Guild Wars 2.

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 11:44 Yifes

Asmo wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 07:32:
The whole freaking game is so 'ewok' (my term for introducing muppets in to an otherwise dark storyline to lighten the mood and make it kid friendly).

People have been calling TOR 'ewok' since the first screenshots were released. And hate to break this to you guys, but just like the movie ewoks, Star Wars has been kiddie themed ever since Lucas fired all the good people behind The Empire Strikes Back to make Jedi into a movie that could sell children's toys. The idea of a mature Star Wars universe died in 1980, and TOR's children friendly design fits Star Wars perfectly.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 10:56 Techie714 ©

The whole freaking game is so 'ewok' (my term for introducing muppets in to an otherwise dark storyline to lighten the mood and make it kid friendly). The original Star Wars movies, particularly Empire, all had dark tones to them that were aimed at a decidely older audience (which didn't deter me in the slightest from watching them as a kid at the time). It's so damn sanitised for mass consumption.

Commenting on the actual content of the vid, all I'm seeing is fanboi wank candy. Glowy wow-esque raid tier armour, check, dual sabres, check...

And reading the comments on the side just makes me die a little inside. I'd really love to be wrong about this game but it just keeps getting worse the more information they put out there...
Excellent post & I totally agree with you!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 10:50 Rossafur

If the WH40K mmo looks this tame I'm going to cry. And if the World of Darkness mmo goes for a T too... I don't even know, haha.  

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 09:40 Creston

entr0py wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 01:59:
I do really like your idea of giving people the option though. I don't know why some developer couldn't produce two versions of an MMO with two ratings. All of the gore could be client-side, and not effect people with the T-rated version.

I don't think that's how the ratings system works, though. If a game exists in M format, it's always going to be possible to turn the T version into the M version somehow. So I think that if a dev did that (develop two versions,) the ESRB would just rate the game M?

And another thing is that no publisher is ever going to okay the development of two different versions. After all, it's added overhead (probably quite a bit too) for likely little to no difference in sales.

I agree it'd be a nice option, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

Creston

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 08:39 Jonny

And reading the comments on the side just makes me die a little inside.

It's mixing MMOs, a genre known for spawning rabid fanboys, with Star Wars, an IP known for spawning rabid fanboys. Made by Bioware, a company known for... you get it.

I really wouldn't expect anything else from the comments.

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 07:32 Asmo

The whole freaking game is so 'ewok' (my term for introducing muppets in to an otherwise dark storyline to lighten the mood and make it kid friendly). The original Star Wars movies, particularly Empire, all had dark tones to them that were aimed at a decidely older audience (which didn't deter me in the slightest from watching them as a kid at the time). It's so damn sanitised for mass consumption.

Commenting on the actual content of the vid, all I'm seeing is fanboi wank candy. Glowy wow-esque raid tier armour, check, dual sabres, check...

And reading the comments on the side just makes me die a little inside. I'd really love to be wrong about this game but it just keeps getting worse the more information they put out there...

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 07:01 Jonny

Acleacius wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 23:36:
Wonder how SWtOR will do now that Rift is out, doesn't seem like it has a chance.

I've not played Rift, but there are a lot of people who prefer sci-fi over fantasy. Apart from Hyboria, WoW is the most tolerable fantasy setting out there for me, possibly because I grew up on Warcraft 1,2 & 3, so I'm not going to swap WoW for a slightly different WoW with different elves and dwarves in it. The only other fantasy MMO I played for a decent amount of time was AoC, and I let my subscription slide after Rise of the Godslayer turned out to be nothing but a collossal grind for tokens.

However I will swap WoW for a decent Sci-fi setting. I'll try TOR out then if it delivers, unlike STO or Fallen Earth, then I'll swap my subscription over. Got to be plenty more like me who aren't great fantasy fans.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 03:37 Zavy

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 03:05:
Sempai wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 00:36:
Seriously, atleast give the player the option to play the game like an adult. The WoW and Disney syndrome.
I swear to God no one has the balls to go past PG13 anymore and it's so tiresome. Well I guess Conan did but that isn't what ruined their subscriber base.

It's not something new. I suspect Age of Conan was the ONLY premium M-rated MMO that has ever been made. I have no doubt that getting an M-rating would hurt sales. It's not just a matter of younger teenagers with protective parents; MMOs are also popular among women, who tend to be less enthusiastic about gore.

I do really like your idea of giving people the option though. I don't know why some developer couldn't produce two versions of an MMO with two ratings. All of the gore could be client-side, and not effect people with the T-rated version.

Exactly. Why can't they have adult or mature servers in that case?

Good question.. I suspect it must have something to do with cost or some lame excuse.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 03:05 Cutter

Seriously, atleast give the player the option to play the game like an adult. The WoW and Disney syndrome.
I swear to God no one has the balls to go past PG13 anymore and it's so tiresome. Well I guess Conan did but that isn't what ruined their subscriber base.

It's not something new. I suspect Age of Conan was the ONLY premium M-rated MMO that has ever been made. I have no doubt that getting an M-rating would hurt sales. It's not just a matter of younger teenagers with protective parents; MMOs are also popular among women, who tend to be less enthusiastic about gore.

Exactly. Why can't they have adult or mature servers in that case?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 02:17 Snapdad

I have no doubt that getting an M-rating would hurt sales.

I do. This is Star Wars. I was seven when it came out originally. I and the rest of the first wave of the gamer generation who literally grew up with the franchise before the final three films(?) were made can handle it, and we're a big part of the audience this game caters to. We've already done WoW, and LoTRO and WWII online and MUDS, and a myriad of others in the last couple decades. It could be counter-argued that sales would in fact increase if it were made a bit grittier.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 01:59 entr0py

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 01:10 Techie714 ©

I swear to God no one has the balls to go past PG13 anymore and it's so tiresome.

BEST Comment of the WEEK! I completely agree with you!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 01:00 StingingVelvet

Acleacius wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 23:36:
Wonder how SWtOR will do now that Rift is out, doesn't seem like it has a chance.

Still haven't played Rift yet, waiting for Corsar to send my damn RAM, damn it. This backup PC can't even do Shader 3, bleh.

I doubt Rift will make any bigger splash than all the other WoW rivals over the last 5 years. Aion, Conan... they all had a lot of hype at launch and it didn't last long. The next big MMO will do something really different, not be WoW again with small changes.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 26, 2011, 00:36 Sempai

Where's the dismemberment, scorch marks and blood? That's what happened to bum face when Obi Wan hacked his arm off.

Also the animations still appear to be stiff and shitty.
Bioware need to take some lessons from Blizzard.

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 25, 2011, 23:36 Acleacius

Still haven't played Rift yet, waiting for Corsar to send my damn RAM, damn it. This backup PC can't even do Shader 3, bleh.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 25, 2011, 23:18 Bumpy

Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 22:38:
Where's the dismemberment, scorch marks and blood? That's what happened to bum face when Obi Wan hacked his arm off. And weren't the lightsabers originally more saberish looking, kind of a flat with just a hint of a curve to the blade instead of the light tubes we see now?

That's my main beef with all LA games, they are all uber tame, pre-teen oriented. Bring on the harsh realities of combat and futuristic fighting carnage.

Nope, we get.... sparks. Whoopie!!!!

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 25, 2011, 23:11 Lorcin

I was only slightly "MEH" until the bad guy who really really wanted to be Darth turned up. Now the game holds as much appeal as Star Wars Galaxies for me.

They need to merge Lucas's franchise with their games - not try and cater for the die-hard fans. Catering has been tried so many times in mmos and it's never worked (matrik, warhammer, D&D etc etc)

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 25, 2011, 22:38 Cutter

Where's the dismemberment, scorch marks and blood? That's what happened to bum face when Obi Wan hacked his arm off. And weren't the lightsabers originally more saberish looking, kind of a flat with just a hint of a curve to the blade instead of the light tubes we see now?

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo