Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Game Reviews Mar 26, 2011, 06:13 Jerykk

I don't like the waves of enemies, but it's not that big of a deal either.

That depends on what difficulty you're playing on. If you're playing on Nightmare, having waves of enemies spawn out of thin air right next to your mages and archers is a very big deal. A single hit will interrupt your mages and archers and usually stagger or knock them down. Once they get back up, they're interrupted and staggered/knocked down again. Rinse and repeat until your mages and rogues are dead. Your rogues have various evasive abilities but they're pretty useless because they don't trigger instantly, so enemies just interrupt them. And don't even get me started on the enemy rogues who cloak, then uncloak and backstab you for ridiculous amounts of damage, usually resulting in one-hit kills on your mages and rogues.

I really have to wonder if anyone at Bioware or EA was actually able to beat the game on Nightmare. The combat encounters are obviously designed for Normal difficulty, where no single enemy poses any real threat so they throw waves of them at you. The bosses are especially bad, though. They have like 50,000 HP and can usually kill everyone except your tank in one or two hits. Not only that but they spawn extra enemies during the fights. I'm fighting the boss in the Deep Roads right now and at three points during the fight, he spawns a bunch of dudes that shoot electricity that basically stunlocks your rogues and mages until they die.

I don't have a problem with the combat mechanics introduced in Nightmare mode. It's just very clear the combat encounters were not designed with them in mind.

EDIT: Finally beat that bastard. Only took me four hours. I ended up switching my rogue to use ranged attacks, which made a big difference. With two other ranged companions, I was able to keep my distance and slowly whittle away at the boss while my tank kept it distracted. I'm pretty sure this fight would have been impossible if my party was comprised primarily of melee.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2011, 23:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Game Reviews Mar 26, 2011, 02:19 Prez

Verno wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 12:29:
That review of DA2 on RPG Codex is nothing short of savage. Still fair, hilarious and most importantly totally deserved. He touches on almost every single problematic aspect of the game and unlike most other reviews seems like he has actually played the game.

I read that review as well, and was like, "DAY-UMM!". He tore that game a new one - hopefully Bioware and EA are listening and spend a realistic amount of time making a real sequel next time. Did DA2 actually get 1/5th the dev time of the original? That's embarrassing.

Chalk me up as annoyed at 360 reviews being in the PC review section as well.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Game Reviews Mar 26, 2011, 01:07 Acleacius

RIFT: Planes of Telara on AtomicGamer
a configurable (but not moddable, at least, not for a while) user interface
Any idea what this means, aren't most/all mmog GUI moddable, does this mean the devs are specifically preventing modding of the UI?

PropheT wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 21:03:
I don't see how the protagonist not being from the first game matters even a little, and that's not really new territory for RPG sequels anyway.
Really have to disagree here, not only are ties important, (hell they named the damn game the same and added a 2) but it's one of the reason Baldur's Gate was so successful just as one example. Not that I've played it, haven't and probably won't due to being a ea game, I'll wait 6 months or a year.

No way in hell, I'm helping ea's initial sales bottom line.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 21:54 Dades

You're basically saying you have fun with repetitive things that have big production values, good for you. What anyone had fun with is totally subjective and besides the point. Many people did not enjoy the game judging by the overwhelming negativity this game has garnered and EAs silence on sales figures. You said it was not a rushed sequel when in fact that is exactly what it is. People don't care that they accomplished a lot in a year, no one asked them to rush out a sequel in a year in the first place.

I love how people like you are always telling us how the industry is a business but when the developers and publishers fuck up then we're supposed to just appreciate all of the hard work. You can't have it both ways. Bioware failed its customers, making decent dialogue doesn't make the rest of it ok. That's reflected in the user feedback and sales.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2011, 11:44.

13. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 21:03 PropheT

Dades wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 19:36:
Dragon Age 2 was finished in 1 year, features over fifty kill quests using the same 7 environmental templates, a dull storyline with a voiced protagonist not even mentioned in the first game and finally has poorly designed combat with enemy waves and spawns.

How is that not a low quality, rushed cash grab? Big studio doesn't always mean good game.

Because it still works despite the flaws it has.

The redundant areas do suck, and seem lazy. I can't argue that one and I wish they'd done something different, but given the development time I understand why they did it. I don't like the waves of enemies, but it's not that big of a deal either.

I don't see how the protagonist not being from the first game matters even a little, and that's not really new territory for RPG sequels anyway.

The voicework is as good as it gets in gaming, so I don't think you can fault it for that; the dialog options don't seem as diverse as the first game's as a result, but you're much more free in DA2 to react to a situation without choosing the Good/Funny/Evil option than in ME2...it's not as black and white for the choices.

Verno wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 16:51:
As for the "fun" strawman, everyone has a different definition of that. DA2 overall was not fun or enjoyable to me, it was a very unsatisfying experience. Whether that's expectation or execution who knows but at the end of the day they were the ones who decided to rush to market with a ridiculously repetitive sequel that's only tangentially connected to the first game.

I don't think I was mentioning fun as a strawman, but rather that it's the entire point of all of this. We can talk about what's good and what's bad and we'll disagree on that just as much, but in the end if it's fun to play I just don't personally feel it matters. The game didn't get good reviews from some places because they were paid to, but taken for what it is it's still a good game once you get past the flaws it has.

With development costs being what they are now and studios looking for cheaper ways to get games to market, we're not going to see 5-year developed RPG's that almost never sell through anymore. They're my favorite kind of game, and I hate that more than I can say, but it's still true. If Dragon Age 2 was an experiment in what can be done with shorter development cycles and reduced budgets in an effort to get to market faster, well, it succeeds and it fails...but it's still enjoyable if you take it for what it is. If this is what it takes to get a game like this on the shelves these days, then you could do a lot worse.

12. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 19:36 Dades

a low-quality cash grab dumped on the market to capitalize on the first game's success...and it's just not

Dragon Age: Origins was finished in 5 years, features dozens of carefully designed environments, an epic storyline which deeply involves the player in almost every facet and tactical combat that was tested by humans.

Dragon Age 2 was finished in 1 year, features over fifty kill quests using the same 7 environmental templates, a dull storyline with a voiced protagonist not even mentioned in the first game and finally has poorly designed combat with enemy waves and spawns.

How is that not a low quality, rushed cash grab? Big studio doesn't always mean good game.

11. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 19:22 Sepharo

PropheT wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 16:47:
a low-quality cash grab dumped on the market to capitalize on the first game's success...and it's just not

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is.

10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 19:05 nin

Glad to see DA2 get the review it so deeply deserves.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 17:10 Marvin T. Martian

wrlwnd wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 11:36:
Why are the Xbox reviews of Crysis 2 put here instead of the appropriate section?

Agree---You would think the a long time and valued game site like this one could find a PC review.

8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 16:51 Verno

You say Bioware is fine but they don't even seem to understand what they got wrong with this game, they've been almost fervent in their defense of almost every negative aspect in its design. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but sorry DA2 is definitely one of the worst things Bioware has ever produced. I'm not even sure I can rate it above Jade Empire because at least they had the sense to make that an original IP and it had a much more modest scope. It is absolutely deserving of the scathing criticism it's receiving, especially after the press reviews basically came off sounding like press packets which hadn't even finished the game.

As for the "fun" strawman, everyone has a different definition of that. DA2 overall was not fun or enjoyable to me, it was a very unsatisfying experience. Whether that's expectation or execution who knows but at the end of the day they were the ones who decided to rush to market with a ridiculously repetitive sequel that's only tangentially connected to the first game.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2011, 16:59.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 16:47 PropheT

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 14:59:
If people want games to improve and not feel ripped of (like Iím sure I lot of people do who bought DA2) then the ONLY thing you can do is speak with your wallet. Stop preordering or buying without reading the objective and honest reviews. Make sure that the developers know that if they want your money they are going to have to earn it by producing a quality product. If nothing else, EA/Bioware has shown that itís a mistake to trust a gaming company based on reputation alone. Face it; the Bioware that made the classic RPGs of the past is dead and gone.

Frankly, I don't care if games improve. I don't have any problem with the way they are, and I love playing them. Innovation and new technologies aren't just going to disappear because I buy and enjoy a game that doesn't break new ground or make the heavens split and pour angels onto the earth.

All I want is for a game to be fun and entertaining. Isn't that the point? When did it stop being the point to so many people?

I get what you're saying. I get what the review is suggesting, too, even though it doesn't seem realistic (or any different than the first game did, for that matter). I don't expect that everyone will be happy with the game.

But, it's a good game. It's fun, it has some great characters, and despite its flaws it's nowhere near worth the hate that the gaming public has decided to dump on it. The way you make it sound the game is a pure abortion and an affront to gamers, a low-quality cash grab dumped on the market to capitalize on the first game's success...and it's just not.

Bioware is just fine. The game could have done much better if it had another year in the oven, but given what it had it's still better than any other RPG in its class that you're likely to get this year and that says something about the people making it.

6. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 15:28 Verno

Well said.  

5. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 14:59 Pineapple Ferguson

That DA2 review by RPG Codex pretty much confirmed my worst fears for the game, and made me glad I resisted the urge to buy it. I was planning on buying it on the cheap whenever they GOTY bundle it, but I may not even bother with that.

What it does illustrate though is one of the biggest problems in gaming today: the circle jerk of gaming sites and magazines that have traded the objective critique for the inexplicably positive day zero review in order to stay in the good graces of the big devs/publishers and maintain the cycle of bullshit, favoritism, advertising revenue, etc.

By now people should know that a real review doesnít come in until someone has had time to actually sit through the game, organize their thoughts and offer some real analysis on the pros and cons of the games Ė in other words, a review that may not come in until a month or so after the game is released. But the way it is now, that review Ė as honest and accurate as it may be Ė doesnít matter. The developers already have your money, and if you donít like it, tough shit.

If people want games to improve and not feel ripped of (like Iím sure I lot of people do who bought DA2) then the ONLY thing you can do is speak with your wallet. Stop preordering or buying without reading the objective and honest reviews. Make sure that the developers know that if they want your money they are going to have to earn it by producing a quality product. If nothing else, EA/Bioware has shown that itís a mistake to trust a gaming company based on reputation alone. Face it; the Bioware that made the classic RPGs of the past is dead and gone.

4. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 13:16 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 12:29:
That review of DA2 on RPG Codex is nothing short of savage. Still fair, hilarious and most importantly totally deserved. He touches on almost every single problematic aspect of the game and unlike most other reviews seems like he has actually played the game.

But I suppose you can't blame the NPCs for not wanting to mess with the once and future Champion of Kirkwall, can you? You can hear them whispering as you go by.

"Don't mess with that dude, he presses a button and something awesome happens."

Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaahhaahaaaa. Rotfl

Creston

3. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 12:55 avianflu

that Drakensang review was odd -- the editor should have never allowed it to post. There are actually 2 games released in that series and he makes no reference to that. Lots of general statements made. Looks like a quickie review for quick pay.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 12:29 Verno

1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 25, 2011, 11:36 wrlwnd

Why are the Xbox reviews of Crysis 2 put here instead of the appropriate section?  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo