Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

DasReviews - How Crytek doomed Crysis 2's PC version. Thanks Ant.
All in all, the PC version of Crysis 2 is a console port and nothing more. We haven’t discussed the gameplay as we wanted to focus on specific PC features that are present in Crysis 1 and everyone would expect them to be still present. After all, this is not a review of the game. It is also funny witnessing Crytek’s employees wondering why PC gamers need ‘Advanced Settings’ when they can edit the cVar files to change whatever setting they want. How about it’s easier to find out what settings can impact the framerate with the in-game advanced settings?

We are pretty sure that Crytek will be blaming PC piracy if the PC version sales don’t meet their expectations. Instead of the PC piracy however, Crytek should blame themselves for letting down their PC fanbase and offering them a simple console port that lacks features that made Crysis what it is today. Maximum disappointment!

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2011, 00:30 Dev

Jdrez wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 17:39:
There is no money in PC games any more other than MMO's / The Sims. There never will be a return investment in AAA titles for PC again. Hence, all AAA games will be console ports from now on.
You don't seem to have bothered to check the financials of the major publishing companies. For instance with EA, last I checked the PC income equals or exceeds any platform its compared to, including xbox, ps3, and even mobile.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 22:40 Draugr

Whiny article. He sounds like me when I was freaking sixteen. I'm thirty-one now and this stuff is boring.

Of course they didn't make the sequel the PC-hardcore-nerd paradise the first one was. They lost their ass on the first Crysis.

There is no money in PC games any more other than MMO's / The Sims. There never will be a return investment in AAA titles for PC again. Hence, all AAA games will be console ports from now on.

Why can't people get this through their heads and stop whanging about a return to 1998 that will never happen.

Cripes. Forget games, the PC as we know it is gonna be non-existent outside of guys like this's houses in 10 years anyway.

I love how Crytek and console kids always pretend that crysis didn't sell well, even though it sold over 3 million copies... How anyone would consider that a failure is beyond me.

As for AAA titles not worth the investment. BF3 is coming out and has a lot of features that will be tailored to the PC crowd, so clearly there is money to be made, for if things are as bad as you say, that'd mean the businesses were doing it as a charity, which wouldn't be the case.

All you need to do is look at valve to see PC industry doing fine.

36. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 19:08 Prez

Why can't people get this through their heads and stop whanging about a return to 1998 that will never happen.

Yeah. Publishers release games on PC because they like to lose money. And Steam must be losing Valve buckets of money; it's a wonder why they persist. Maybe they're masochists? And that Sid Meier guy - what a fool! Selling 10 million copies of the PC-only 'Civilization' series... Dunce

I don't normally do sarcasm, but this console-fanboy post was so ignorant it didn't warrant a serious response. At least try to argue the correct point - not a single person expected Crysis 2 to be a PC-only title; what they did expect for 60 bucks was at least a token attempt to do a proper release for PC. It's like we are saying "The sky is blue." and a bunch of blowhards are shouting over us, "NUH-UH...Apples are RED!!!!!!!!!!!"''

I'd pay cash money to see the resulting nerd rage if the 360 version of Crysis 2 referenced the PS3 controller in the manual or tutorial

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 18:28 Verno

Dragon Age and Bad Company 2 both outsold console SKUs on a platform to platform basis, those are just the two that we know about as other companies are tight lipped about their digital numbers. There is profit to be made on the PC, these companies wouldn't be doing it for charity or something. The truth is that you can't just shit out any old game and expect it to do well on the PC whereas publishers can sometimes get away with that on the consoles. More and more though the consoles need to find rapidly increasing sales ceilings to keep up with development costs. It's simply unsustainable for every title to perform like Call of Duty in order to make a buck and the industry is slowly discovering this. The industry in general has long been built on 20% of your catalog sustaining the other 80% and that needs to change, not the PC platform.

The doom and gloom naysayers will likely be the people crowing about how consoles will die in five years because of cell phones.

all AAA games will be console ports from now on.

That is just silly, most titles will simply be multiplatform from now on and the definition of AAA offerings is starting to blur due to smaller studios springing up all the time now that digital distribution is taking hold.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

34. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 18:13 reisub

Didn't Dragon Age sell better on PC?  

33. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 18:07 TheEmissary

Whiny article. He sounds like me when I was freaking sixteen. I'm thirty-one now and this stuff is boring.

Of course they didn't make the sequel the PC-hardcore-nerd paradise the first one was. They lost their ass on the first Crysis.

Cripes. Forget games, the PC as we know it is gonna be non-existent outside of guys like this's houses in 10 years anyway.

No one is going to deny that PC gaming has an image problem but that doesn't mean there is no money in it. Digital platforms have been growing steadily each year but while retail is dropping off on a race to the bottom. Aggregate companies like NPD have no clue whats going on in the digital sales space and EA recently called them out on it.

If you compare all of console sales for all the platforms against PC sales sure its not going to appear like its doing well. The age of exclusives for 3rd party companies are over and when you compare individual SKUs from the publishers data themselves the PC is holding its own quite well. If this wasn't the case I really doubt you would even see any effort at all at multi-platform ports for PC.

Just look up the sales figures for Bad Company 2 for PC or StarCraft2 and or any Valve game and come back to finish discussing this.

32. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 17:39 Jdrez

31. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 16:35 Dev

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 09:34:
Sounds like some PC elitist is upset because he's getting the same visual experience on his $5000 PC that some kid with a $200 Xbox is getting.
I've said it a number of times, you can build a gaming PC for $500ish. Computer components are getting quite cheap (2TB drives for $50ish, 4gb RAM for $40, intel i3 multi core cpu for around $100ish). Anyone who spends $5k on a gaming PC either doesn't have much common sense, or has more money than they know what to do with.
Even doing triple monitor with SLI kinda setup is going to be less than $5k.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2011, 16:46.

30. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 16:20 Agent.X7

How Crytech really doomed the PC version:

Multiplayer servers are mostly broken. Finding one that will actually launch a game requires more luck than Slevin.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 15:39 Prez

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 13:43:

The guy with the $5000 computer isn't asking them to do anything special really, he just wants a game that obviously wasn't made for another platform and pooped out with minimal effort on the PC.

Exactly. Can we give the obnoxious (not to mention self-evident) "they're not obligated" strawman argument a rest for the love of superman?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 14:12 TheEmissary

There is a flaw in your argument is that other consoles are each their own platform and generally have to be treated as such. This is because of the underlying architecture and graphics APIs.

The PS3 for instance has a cell processor which for sake of simplicity is a set of multiple sub-cores and all around different architecture. A lot of people forget that PS3 had lot of resistance by developers at first because of the structure and difficulty learning the architecture to make quality releases. Another thing that is forgotten is the fact it is only able to use OpenGL ES and its own proprietary APIs.

The Xbox360 you only have a version of DirectX as the only API available. So any multi-platform game that wishes to target different platforms be it PS3, Xbox360, Wii, or PC it will have to build separate render paths anyway.

Now getting to the fact the Cryengine 2 (crysis 1 engine) had a DX 10 render path and 64bit binaries out of the box is reason for the complaints now. They have already done the research and have code base to work off of if they choose to.

With all that said I have played and beaten Crysis2 for all its faults it still looks great but I still have to imagine a bit how much better it could have been. I can live with what was released but they could have pushed the limits easily if they wanted.

27. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 14:08 Kxmode

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 09:57:
Which is quite something when you consider the average writing skill in the gaming and tech press these days.

Howw dare u innslut me! I woon;t stands for et!

26. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:59 Tumbler

Better with a controller??? Was that guy just stupid or is the game really that bad?

I was suprised he said this, he was very clear he liked the game best on the PC, but the way the powers were mapped to the bumpers and you need to jump between them all the time while shooting he made it sound like moving your index finger up to the bumper, toggling what you needed, firing, then right back up to toggle it off was a better experience than using Q and E to do the same thing on the keyboard.

I won't be able to play it until friday and it won't be on the PC so anyone who has it and can try both methods I'd be curious to hear what you thought about this.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

25. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:51 Tom

Ok I can understand playing something like Assassin's Creed on the PC with a controller... it's third person.

BUT THIS IS AN FPS.

Better with a controller??? Was that guy just stupid or is the game really that bad?

24. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:50 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 13:44:
It costs more to develop a "separate game" designed to take advantage of the increased power and versatility on the pc versus designing the same game to work on 3 platforms with the same controls.

We can split hairs about what is or isn't a PC game all day but most reasonable people are satisfied with some long running PC centric features and UI tweaks that don't take an unreasonable amount of manpower to implement. Publishers are simply profit-driven and working on the console deadline takes precedence over everything else despite them offering the product for sale on the PC.

23. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:44 Tumbler

While the idea in general is actually pretty good, why would the PC Gamers have to pay extra money just to get a decent gaming experience? 30 bucks extra? Fuck that. The game is already 60 bucks. That's not enough money for Cevat to make an actual PC game?

It costs more to make them. I think the general complaint about most PC/Console games is that the game isn't tailored to the PC...but it is a $60 gaming experience. If you want one tailored to the PC it costs more... If it didn't you'd see everyone making them, instead companies seem more and more willing to make an experience that is easy to pick up and play with a controller regardless of the platform. Was listening to podcasts this morning and someone was talking about playing this on the PC and they chose to use a controller because everything seemed to work better, they said the game was obviously designed around using that device and the experience you get on a controller is preferable. (to him) He still said the PC version was the best version of the game but the differences in the end are minimal.

It costs more to develop a "separate game" designed to take advantage of the increased power and versatility on the pc versus designing the same game to work on 3 platforms with the same controls.

22. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:43 Verno

Yifes wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 12:59:
The problem with that expectation is that none of that $5000 went to Crytek, so they have no obligation to you to provide anything other than the standard experience.

The guy with the $5000 computer isn't asking them to do anything special really, he just wants a game that obviously wasn't made for another platform and pooped out with minimal effort on the PC.

The standard experience would be sub 720p with framerate slowdowns and no keyboard or mouse support in this case, assuming we're using the console versions as the baseline for standard here.

21. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:39 DDI

I kind of expected them to understand their role as one of the leaders in PC game graphics.

For the longest time, everyone compared their systems to what specs it could run Crysis at.

Now, we have the console port and it's missing stuff that was in Crysis 1 like destructable terrain, wider spaces, etc. What a shame.

I'm still having fun with the game but it seems like a sequel made by a different company.

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:29 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 13:25:
The problem with that expectation is that none of that $5000 went to Crytek, so they have no obligation to you to provide anything other than the standard experience.

Perhaps Crysis should have a PC graphics upgrade DLC pack that costs $30 or something and improves the look of the game and in general just makes it a better experience all around.

While the idea in general is actually pretty good, why would the PC Gamers have to pay extra money just to get a decent gaming experience? 30 bucks extra? Fuck that. The game is already 60 bucks. That's not enough money for Cevat to make an actual PC game?

Creston

19. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:25 Tumbler

Perhaps Crysis should have a PC graphics upgrade DLC pack that costs $30 or something and improves the look of the game and in general just makes it a better experience all around. (Unlocks sandbox mode where all of manhattan is explorable, etc.)

Like how Imax showings of movies will cost $15 when the normal showing costs $10.

They did this with old PC games at one point with Sound packs. Wing Commander had a $15 add on that you could buy if you had a sound card. ((I think?)When the first one came out the idea of having a sound card in my computer seemed like a huge waste of money...by the time Wing Commander 2 came out I was willing to pay the extra money for the sound packs and buy a sound card.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo