Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Eidos Montreal is co-developing the PC edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution with Nixxes Software, the Netherlands-based developer that has assisted on ports of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, and Tomb Raider Underworld, reports Shacknews. They learned this as part of an interview they will publish soon discussing the upcoming action/RPG prequel with Jean-François Dugas, who explains the Windows edition "was done in-house, but with a partnership." Dugas, who says he is currently playing the game exclusively on the PC, explains the reason for the collaboration: "It was more of a logistical problem more than anything else and having enough people to make sure it's all on the same level, all the time. So, yeah. It was more about manpower and logistics."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 22:45 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 14:41:
Something I heard a developer say in an interview recently was quite offputting. One of the leads on Dragon Age 2 said that he didn't really care for the "game" portion of videogames. He just wanted to see the story and the characters without having to do all of that tedious stuff. I think the terminology he used was "guided experience" which is the type of industry buzzword crap that people hate. Push A to do a bunch of stuff then cutscene is what people are potentially worried about.

Yeah! All that fucking GAMING in videogames nowadays is just plain fucking annoying!

Oh Bioware. How far you've fallen. But hey, at least you're selling shitloads of copies, right?!

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 14:41 Verno

Something I heard a developer say in an interview recently was quite offputting. One of the leads on Dragon Age 2 said that he didn't really care for the "game" portion of videogames. He just wanted to see the story and the characters without having to do all of that tedious stuff. I think the terminology he used was "guided experience" which is the type of industry buzzword crap that people hate. Push A to do a bunch of stuff then cutscene is what people are potentially worried about.

Now to bitch about visual outlines on items? Who cares, that's fucking help stuff. I'm sorry, not all of us want to randomly interact with every potential object in the environment. There's nothing intelligent about mashing the E key on everything you see until you discover what things the character can pick up, that's just as mindless as the alternative.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

38. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 14:25 Beamer

Of course not, they view everything as an improvement(streamlining is the key word here)

I think the whole "press A to do something" thing is pretty well indicative of this.

It's not always necessarily dumbing down. Take, for instance, Bulletstorm. You can only kick certain things and only jump over certain things. As games start looking more realistic this is no longer as easy to identify visually as it once was. Fine. And you don't want people able to do it over everything because, at some point, you need walls. Fine. So you need some way to call out what can be kicked. Fine. None of this is dumbing down to me. Yet. So you actually put "kick here" in front of things. I'm still mostly with you. And, since you're putting language there anyway and nothing is very concise "press A to kick" works as well as anything else. Inelegant, but not necessarily dumbed down.

Take Deus Ex, though. Now it's "Press X for Silent Takedown, Press Y for Fatal Takedown." An extension of the above, but now something more common and, honestly, you know you can do this to anyone you're behind. It isn't telling you something you don't know, at least not after the first time you do it. It's handholding to a stupid degree. I can't think of a time in gaming when games on ANY platform regularly did this. Even arcade games used to give you a few seconds to think before giving on-screen hints.

As for the whole highlighted outline thing, I think that's more a visual decision than anything else. It makes the future look cleaner and more streamlined. And futuristic. It's like all the concept cars in Geneva with LEDs running down every major line (Verno will love that.) It's just the current vision of the future. It does have the benefit of dumbing down, but I think this was an art decision first. And it isn't like there haven't been PC games where items on the ground flash so you can better see them, although typically that's been in games where seeing things on the ground has been difficult, often due to a zoomed out perspective.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 14:15 Verno

I also think that some of the simplification techniques are not seen as dumbing down by developers

Of course not, they view everything as an improvement(streamlining is the key word here) and typically only admit fault when forced to by widespread condemnation. There are certain design trends that have become user expectations, decent checkpointing is a good example of something that the industry has adopted for the general good despite some old users preferring quicksaves. That kind of thing isn't what people usually complain about though.

You say people are just jumping to complain but the reality is that many genres have not evolved and there is a lot of follow the leader mentality and sequelitis these days. Publishers generally play it safe and developers have to as a result. Acting like all of the impact from that is positive is disingenuous in my opinion.

People aren't necessarily angry at consoles or even developers or publishers. They're just as often upset about design trends and other things that are hard to specifically label so it gets put under the console blanket because let's be honest here, most of these things proliferated in the console marketplace.

36. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 13:36 swaaye

I really think that blaming consoles is mostly wrong. The biggest problem with consoles is that they have a limited control scheme but that is their only major gameplay disadvantage these days.

No I think that the various "accessibility" enhancements and simplifications being done to modern game sequels and such are just to try to appeal to the largest possible audience so they can sell enough to break even on their game that cost $10-20 million to make. That's the real deal. And the cause of this is ever prettier graphics.

I also think that some of the simplification techniques are not seen as dumbing down by developers. I think it's a bit of group think going on and that some of these game mechanics are actually preferred and expected.

Jumping at the opportunity to bitch about consoles just shows that a person hasn't really thought out why things happen in the game industry.

35. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 12:20 Ratty

ASeven wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 04:47:
This game is definitely becoming a wait-and-see affair.
For fuck's sake. What game isn't a wait and see affair anymore? There is no AAA developer that you can trust to make a good PC game. All the old reliables have sold their soul.

34. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 10:59 Creston

Both Tomb Raider ports were pretty good, as far as I could tell, so that's a positive. Furthermore, them actually hiring another developer solely for the purpose of the PC port/edition is a good sign, imo.

99% of all devs "focus" on the PC edition by having one intern copy the code over and making sure the installer comes up when he clicks on "Setup.exe"

Creston

33. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 10:41 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 10:09:
I guess what I am trying to say is don't blame the hardware, blame the market. Also don't blame companies, blame the market. The people I look at with my eyes all squinty for dumbing-down my games are all the gamers who started Morrowind and were like "I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO HELP ME!"

There's plenty of blame to go around, I don't limit it to one particular source. I blame stupid gamers just as much as I blame companies who want to turn the gaming industry into the creative equivalent of a cardboard factory.

32. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 10:29 Elessar

Acleacius wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 22:51:
PC development fail.
Given the choice of having a development team co-develop the console version along with the PC version or have a dedicated team to each platform, I'd hope for the latter. Especially considering so many devs consider consoles to be the main platform and the PC version is an afterthought. In this case a full team is dedicated to make sure PC mechanics are in place and working well. I understand that's no guarantee, but it improves our chances. So I don't get why anyone would be entirely negative about this.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

31. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 10:09 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 08:56:
Golwar wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 07:44:
Yes, consoles have limitations, but they ain't the cause of everything that is bad in this world.

No but they are more often than not the cause of streamlined games seeking stupid audiences to attempt to replicate the success of the Wii and Halo.

I prefer to look at that as the fault of mainstream gamers and the booming market of gaming over the last 8-10 years. Yes, for the last 10 years those more mainstream gamers chose to play on consoles, but that's because they are easier to use. Over the next 10 years I bet they choose phones and browser services, because those are even easier (and cheaper).

I guess what I am trying to say is don't blame the hardware, blame the market. Also don't blame companies, blame the market. The people I look at with my eyes all squinty for dumbing-down my games are all the gamers who started Morrowind and were like "I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO HELP ME!"

30. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 08:56 Verno

Golwar wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 07:44:
Yes, consoles have limitations, but they ain't the cause of everything that is bad in this world.

No but they are more often than not the cause of streamlined games seeking stupid audiences to attempt to replicate the success of the Wii and Halo.

29. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 08:33 Zoom

There is a HUGE difference between having a successor that doesnt meet expectations due to lack of improvement, and a so-called successor that is only "in name" and is actually a dumb shooter for retarded, attention-span-challenged 14y old kids. Not speaking specifically about Deus Ex:HR here, but in general (looking at all former console ports).
To say it in another way, there is a difference in not providing a clearly superior experience to a previous "best of all times" product (which can be expected), and actually REMOVING whole parts of what made the said experience, and wrap it in debatable eye-candy.

28. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 07:44 Golwar

I wonder what people would complain about, if consoles didn't exist and yet the successor of a cult game would fail to meet their expectations.
Movies might be a good example. If a successor or remake, those often fail to impress because someone simply makes dumb decisions. Why should game developers be smarter?

27. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 07:13 J

Am happy that the highlighting is optional. Still irked that I have to wait until August.

Keeping a shrewd eye on all the feedback

26. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 07:00 wonkawonka

Zoom wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 06:03:
[Forget all kind of deeper stuff requiring the customer to actually think.

I gotta tell ya, the real problem here is the gaming environment. Lounging on a couch, meters away from the screen, won't do anything good for your brain.
Get that person to sit straight on a chair, on a desk, with a screen mere inches away, with the exact same console hardware, and the brain will kick into higher gear, and the perception of the game will completely change. You'll then see the "console" player start blasting the game as being "dumbed down" for idiots.

25. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 06:03 Zoom

Rockn-Roll wrote:
<(about controls from console ports)>
That's right often controls are foobared, but that's not the main problem for games developed for consoles first.
Consoles have a very limited RAM, and console customers have also a very limited intellect.
This leads to several major problems.
First, due to hardware limitations, the game world has to get a lot smaller, translated by either a major loss of detail in 3D models, or smaller "maps" with loading times in between and a break of continuity, which disrupts the immersion and experience of the game.
Counter example is Risen where you can go just anywhere without any break. Of course textures also get a hit, and model animations too.
Also due to reduced complexity, the "open gameplay" designs are out. This means streamlined, or "on rails" game play. Counter example was the first Deus Ex, Gothic 1/2 or Thief series. Perfect examples of "on rails" are CoD, Gears of War, Gothic 4 ("Arcania") etc..
And then there is the impact of target customer base. The average 14y old boy that is the usual target has a diminishing level of intellect, and anything requiring his neurons to fire up is out. Expect a lot of hand-holding, very obvious scenario clues, even repeating stuff in case you didnt understand. Forget all kind of deeper stuff requiring the customer to actually think.
Since the console gamer has also a short attention span, anything requiring more concentration and slower gameplay (typically stealth gameplay ala Thief and such) is out. The action->reward schema has to be immediate. Forget any long term consequences of your gameplay actions.
This is so far, all console ports. Note that i have nothing against many console / arcade games (actually i like a lot of them, i enjoy Street Fighter 4 for instance) but they ARE NOT good design canditates for a proper Deus Ex follow-up.

24. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 04:47 ASeven

This game is definitely becoming a wait-and-see affair.  

23. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 02:45 Jerykk

Good news about being able to turn off the highlighting. I just wish you could turn off the third-person cover system (and all other third-person sequences), as well as the regenerating health.  

22. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 01:50 StingingVelvet

Pumas wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 22:11:
On the downside...a true PC icon such as Deus Ex shouldn't even have the word "port" mentioned in the same sentence unless immediately followed by "from PC to consoles".

That kind of pie-in-the-sky "is it still 1999?" thinking really doesn't do anyone much good. Multiplatform development is not going anywhere.

21. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 01:49 StingingVelvet

NicklePop wrote on Mar 24, 2011, 01:34:
Consoles ruined this game. There is no way a straight PC game would have yellow highlights over interactive objects.

This game is banned until a Steam sale, unless reviews from multiple PC sites prove its worth.

Yellow highlights were confirmed as optional on the Eidos forums.

So there's one less thing you can freak out about as you move forward in life.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo