Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

The Crysis 2 reviews are for the Xbox 360.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2011, 15:31 Verno

I've only played for 3 hours last night but it was quite enjoyable overall. I noticed a few issues with the AI but beyond that I had a great time with it which is surprising because I wasn't super happy with either of the Crysis games in the past.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2011, 14:26 Krovven

The user metacritic score of 75% is telling enough for me to skip this game alltogether.

Did you notice the majority of those negative user reviews are 0 (immediately not to be taken seriously), and from mouth breathing morons that can barely form a coherent sentence?

This isn't to say that some of the 10's arent just raging fanboys either.

Either way, you can't just look at the percentage and use that as a proper basis for judgement.

The game is awesome, a lot of fun, and I'm just over halfway through the game. They had some launch day hiccups with MP, but it is solid, had a blast last night and stayed up too late.

20. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2011, 07:26 Beamer

The user metacritic score of 75%

After being out for a day.
Which means most of those scores are people throwing out stupid opinions they shouldn't be voting on ("OMG! CONSOLITIS!" Maybe valid, maybe not, play the game, first) or voting on the leaked beta.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2011, 06:42 InBlack

Verno wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 11:22:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/crysis-2

Give it a playthrough and tell us what you think. The user metacritic score of 75% is telling enough for me to skip this game alltogether.

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2011, 02:23 Jerykk

Check points discourage exploration and creativity. You're less likely to try something new if you're afraid of dying and have to remember exactly where the last check point was.

Both checkpoint and quicksave systems have their own pros and cons. Checkpoints amp up the intensity, since you're guaranteed to lose progress if you die, making death much more meaningful. Conversely, quicksaves destroy intensity because you can quicksave right before you do anything risky and right after you make any sort of progress. Death holds little meaning because you never lose any progress. However, as you mentioned, the lack of risk does allow for more exploration and experimentation which is better suited to large, open-ended games.

I don't really have a problem with checkpoints in linear shooters. There isn't really any meaningful exploration or experimentation to be done anyway. Crysis 2 looks to be a lot more linear than Crysis 1 and neither game is really open-ended enough to promote exploration or experimentation.

17. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2011, 02:07 Cram

Painkiller had the best of both worlds, quicksaves at your command and an excellent checkpoint system. It can be done.....  

16. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 20:01 Krovven

Prez wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:50:
From what I'm reading, the SP in Crysis is pretty dynamic, lending itself to multiple play-throughs, in which case I'm probably going to buy this at or near full price.

I pointed this out in the Patch thread earlier. I can easily see myself playing through multiple times just to change combat tactics.

As for the save vs. checkpoints...hasn't bothered me in the least. I recall having this discussion when FarCry first came out too.

15. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 17:50 Prez

I'm always going to fall on the side of wanting a save-anywhere feature, but some checkpoint systems are decent enough to mitigate the lack. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it is frustrating. I'm tired of the "design choice" excuse - why not just let the player decide if he/she wants to use them? It's the whole choice thing - we PC gamers always prefer it.

From what I'm reading, the SP in Crysis is pretty dynamic, lending itself to multiple play-throughs, in which case I'm probably going to buy this at or near full price.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 17:47 Tumbler

Check points discourage exploration and creativity. You're less likely to try something new if you're afraid of dying and have to remember exactly where the last check point was.

Exploration maybe, but with checkpoints difficult areas encourage creativity if you keep dieing trying to pass an area. You have to adapt and try different weapons, different tactics...assuming the game plans for that and actually has those...

I think a well designed game with a checkpoint system is a lot of fun because I'm not just cranking through fights, saving, then going in guns blazing without a care in the world because I know I reload if it doesn't work.

Checkpoints get a thumbs up from me.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 13:43 Quboid

From the Game Revolution review:
This is the new FPS, the thinking man's FPS, and I can't wait to get my second playthrough started.

Seriously? I haven't played anything more than the MP demo but ... I doubt it. I strongly doubt it. In fact, at the risk of pre-judging an all time classic ... thinking man's FPS? Hahaha!

- Quboid

12. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 13:41 Verno

RPS pointed out yesterday that PC review builds were code locked until the launch to "prevent piracy".  

11. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 13:22 the_culture

born2expire wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 10:13:
Its a sad state when its hard to find a PC review for a game.

This might explain why there are no (or very few) PC reviews [from IGN]:

So why isn't there a PC review up yet?
Well, because as of 6:00 PM PST on March 21st (the day before release), we haven't had access to a full, reviewable build of the game.

10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 13:16 Ratty

SHIT. I just read last night's comments and saw Crysis 2 has no quicksave, just fucking check points? I don't ever play games anymore that don't have quicksave. I only played Far Cry after I learned the console savegame command and even then you had to be careful where you saved because it was unsupported. Check points discourage exploration and creativity. You're less likely to try something new if you're afraid of dying and have to remember exactly where the last check point was.  

9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 12:00 Bill Borre

lol  

8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 11:56 Dmitri_M

These days even the reviews are ports.

7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 11:48 Ratty

I come here to Blues News for my trustworthy reviews from actual PC players, thank you very much. I hope Blue posts some Crysis 2-related news every day for awhile so people can attach their experiences in the comments. I'm definitely waiting until after the DX 11 patch until I decide whether to buy or not. No, not for DX11 but for any other PC changes they may decide to make.  

6. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 11:23 Marvin T. Martian

InBlack wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 10:34:
Crysis 2 reviews:

Actiontrip: 8.6/10 User reviews: 6.6/10

Armchair General: 96% User reviews: N/A on page

gamrReview: 9.4/10 Exemplary User reviews: 8.4/10

Strategy Informer: 8.4/10 User reviews: NYA

I hope these guys got more than a free game from Crytek for these raving reviews. Excuse me while I go and throw up a little bit....

Did you see that these are all console reviews only!!! Of course they would give high ratings. "Look at the pretty colors---9 out of ten, you can use a game pad--9.5" LOL

No PC review links-console only reviews- BLUE's NEWS-score-0 out of ten! No Soup for you!

5. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 11:22 Verno

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/crysis-2

Although I do question reviews from a site like Vandal Online where they talk about what the game "looses".

4. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 11:19 Marvin T. Martian

born2expire wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 10:13:
Its a sad state when its hard to find a PC review for a game.

No kidding!! C'mon Blue,there has to be a PC review of Crysis 2.

3. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 11:10 Verno

Maybe the game's actually good? I only had a chance to play a bit last night before going out but it seemed pretty fun.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo