Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible

A post on the Steam Users' Forums recaps a visit to the Valve offices by Political Gamer, who posts revelations of some of Valve's future plans, an audio interview with Robin Walker, and photos of some of what he experienced. He says that Steam will get a video recorder "very soon," Valve is looking to expand Steam onto the iOS/Android platform, and the next class-specific video from Team Fortress 2 will be "Meet the Medic," which he describes as one of the best in the series. Thanks PC Gamer.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 23, 2011, 10:04 Verno

I originally bought Fraps for like $10-15, I'm a bit shocked they are charging $37 for it now considering development hasn't exactly proceeded at a decent pace. Half of the time it feels like they are releasing new versions just to break cracks.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 23, 2011, 09:27 SpectralMeat

MattyC wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 21:42:
Dev wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 12:08:
I'm not going to pay $40 for FRAPS. I'd pay steam $15 for it though. I bet if they integrated it and offered it as a product for sale through steam, lots of people would buy it.

Of course it would be great if valve offered a recorder for free instead.

Fraps is $40 now? Shesh. I am pretty certain I didn't pay that when I got it, though that was years ago. It was more than $15, but not $40.

Yeah I think I've paid $20 or $25 for it a couple of years ago.

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 23, 2011, 08:44 KilrathiAce

Basically steam is doing everything xfire already did as far as picture taking, overlay, video recording, next step after that will be ability to broadcast streams live on steam. Its a shame Xfire was bought out recently by some company with 0 brains, because xfire advanceement and development totally stalled. Xfire is now basically dead, but it had a lot of great ideas and potential. RIP Xfire, gj steam on doing everything xfire already did.

Oh and it would be nice if there was a 64bit steam client too, something that xfire did as well...

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

24. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 21:42 MattyC

Dev wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 12:08:
I'm not going to pay $40 for FRAPS. I'd pay steam $15 for it though. I bet if they integrated it and offered it as a product for sale through steam, lots of people would buy it.

Fraps is $40 now? Shesh. I am pretty certain I didn't pay that when I got it, though that was years ago. It was more than $15, but not $40.

23. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 19:50 Verno

killer_roach wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 19:17:
Most of the rest of the world has data caps as well... although in some areas they're more implicit than explicit.

If you mean a maximum capacity ceiling sure but not actual caps. Japan technically has a cap if you can call 1TB a day that with a straight face. France, England, Germany, Sweden and etc don't that I know of. Most companies have a generic catchall about usage disrupting other users but not set caps. North America also pays some of the highest prices for Internet incidentally.

Also, it'd be an uphill climb to get to 150GB of transfer a month on 1.5-3Mbit DSL, but maybe that's just me. (Regardless, am a bit worried about approaching the cap for U-Verse, as I'm on an 18Mbit connection)

That's about a weeks worth of usage at full speed. For your U-Verse connection with 250GB thats a few days, factoring overhead and some error % into it. I don't see how either one is very reasonable to be honest though the latter borders on ridiculous. Point being that the caps are not due to congestion or infrastructure issues, they are solely rooted in profit.

22. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 19:17 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 15:23:
That's for UVerse, the DSL caps will be 150GB IIRC and caps in general really aren't reasonable in the first place considering the rest of the world manages just fine without them for the most part. It's simple greed and nothing more.

Most of the rest of the world has data caps as well... although in some areas they're more implicit than explicit.

Also, it'd be an uphill climb to get to 150GB of transfer a month on 1.5-3Mbit DSL, but maybe that's just me. (Regardless, am a bit worried about approaching the cap for U-Verse, as I'm on an 18Mbit connection)

21. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 17:30 El Pit

Okay, Valve, great job. What I'd like to do now is recording myself playing "Half-Life 2: Episode 3". Do you copy, Valve? DO YOU COPY?!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

20. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 15:23 Verno

necrosis wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 15:13:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 13:06:
Oh ... look. Yet another 'new internet thing' which will require bandwidth. Too bad places like Canada, and now in the US(AT&T and Charter) are putting heavy, punitive bandwidth caps in place.

Maybe steam should get involved in this.
I dont know about Charter but AT&T's caps are no worse than Comcasts (250GB).

That's for UVerse, the DSL caps will be 150GB IIRC and caps in general really aren't reasonable in the first place considering the rest of the world manages just fine without them for the most part. It's simple greed and nothing more.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2011, 15:53.

19. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 15:13 necrosis

J wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 14:33:
On the screenshots front, I just noticed that if you take a screenshot in the game then Steam uses it as a background picture when you select the game
Small mode 4tw.

18. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 15:13 necrosis

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 13:06:
Oh ... look. Yet another 'new internet thing' which will require bandwidth. Too bad places like Canada, and now in the US(AT&T and Charter) are putting heavy, punitive bandwidth caps in place.

I dont know about Charter but AT&T's caps are no worse than Comcasts (250GB).

17. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 14:33 J

On the screenshots front, I just noticed that if you take a screenshot in the game then Steam uses it as a background picture when you select the game  

16. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 14:17 Tom

^Drag0n^ wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 14:09:
License? Nah, they'd just buy them and hire the programmers. ;-)

Perhaps, and that was my first thought. They certainly have the cash. But it might be better for the world if they did a licensing deal instead of an outright purchase. I would hate to see standalone FRAPS go away with the requirement that Steam be used instead. FRAPS is useful in many situations where Steam cannot be used or would not be appropriate.

Of course, Valve could buy them and still keep standalone FRAPS alive.. but for how long? I think chances of its survival might be better with a licensing deal. Not sure though.

Btw in response to some other comments here.. broadband competition and availability sucks in the US as well. I live in a high income town not far from major cities yet I have exactly one broadband option, cable, with the company rated worst ISP in the US for customer service. But at least it still beats dialup (when it's not down).

15. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 14:09 ^Drag0n^

Tom wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 11:25:
Valve should just license FRAPS for integration into Steam. But I guess they've already done a good chunk of the work by making the overlay work with a wide variety of games (despite the best efforts of those morons at Even Balance).

They did a great job with the new screenshot feature. I'm sure tons of people looked at that and said wow, wouldn't it be great if they took it to the next level and did the same thing for video.

License? Nah, they'd just buy them and hire the programmers. ;-)

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

14. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 14:05 Elf Shot The Food

A video recording feature would be nice. At least it would cut down on people using free recorders that have the sound disabled and then "compensating" for the lack of audio by setting the action to a Linkin Park song.

FRAPS is good and the recorder that XFire uses isn't bad, although I haven't tried it out in a while.

13. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 14:01 Animals for Crackers

Steam on iOS PSN? that's ambitious. I highly doubt that Apple Sony will allow something like that.

If the iOS version of Steam has limited functionality with features that don't directly compete with Apple's own, I don't see why not. This would have the potential to attract/give incentive for new customers who otherwise wouldn't bother with their platform.

12. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 13:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Verno wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 13:16:
Valve, Microsoft and so on can't solve all of the worlds woes, consumers need to stop taking such obvious bullshit lying down. Heaven forbid they speak with their money and cancel though, how would they check Facebook?!

Sorry, you hit a nerve
No but they can state that it's punitive to their business practices which would help. Much like what netflix has done. But sadly in a lot of places in Canada, you have two choices. Bell(or some other incumbent DSL), or Rogers(or incumbent cable co). That sure doesn't make it easy to switch, especially in newer subs where either bell or rogers or whoever buy up the local installs. I know of 2 new subdivisions in my city where you can only get rogers for hi-speed, because bell refused to install a remote.

Don't worry on the nerve, it hits mine all the time(18 days to get a dry loop installed oh fucking yay!)

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 13:16 Verno

Steam already places CDNs all over the world and unfortunately there isn't much else they can do beyond funding some political donations to get the ball rolling. I would bet they already do that anyway. Some internal Bell memos leaked this week that show they know there is no real network congestion and the only goal is increased revenues for the shareholders so if that doesn't enrage Canadians into action then nothing will and they deserve what they get. Valve, Microsoft and so on can't solve all of the worlds woes, consumers need to stop taking such obvious bullshit lying down. Heaven forbid they speak with their money and cancel though, how would they check Facebook?!

Sorry, you hit a nerve

10. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 13:06 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 12:23 Jay

Jivaro wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 11:19:
I am not sure what you mean, there are competitors to Gamecenter already available. What would Apple have trouble with?

Apple wouldn't allow services that eats into their appstore profit. If we ever see Steam on iOS, it will be a vastly limited version of it that doesn't allow you to purchase games, or let you play games purchased outside appstore.

8. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 12:08 Dev

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo