Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer

A new trailer from Deus Ex: Human Revolution offers a walkthrough of the first mission in the next installment in the Deus Ex series of action/RPGs, conducted by Eidos Montreal's Mary DeMarle. The clip demonstrates the game's multi-path/multi-solution gameplay based on two of the game's "pillars," combat and stealth (the other two being hacking and social). The clip shows three different approaches to the same scenario. The embedded version follows.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 23, 2011, 16:15 kylania

Well, it's officially a console port, not even from the same developer:

Nixxes partnering with Eidos Montreal

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 23:39 Jerykk

Once you had that aug in DX1, it was the most convenient, and often most efficient, way to heal up. I see this as an extension of a system that worked. It's a lot more believable here than it is in Call of Duty.

In DX, you actually had to find and install the regen augmentation, at the expense of any other aug you could have placed in that slot. In addition, the regen aug actively consumed energy during use and energy did not regenerate unless you used a bio-electric cell or recharge station.

That's a pretty substantial difference from the regenerating health system that this and pretty much every other game these days uses.

The ladder climbing is unimportant in the grand scheme, the cover system is not really doable in an entirely first person view, and I assume you have two gripes with the takedowns: 1) that they're third person (they'd look awkward as hell from first person with some of the spinning moves), and 2) that they're automatic takedowns (in which case I ask whether you'd rather have some kind of QTE equivalent?).

The ladder climbing is trivial, yes, but still annoying. I really don't see the point of seeing my character in third-person while climbing ladders and the sudden break in perspective hurts the immersion.

As for first-person cover, it's worked in plenty of games. Traditionally, you just have keys assigned to leaning left and right, allowing you to lean around any corner at any time. This worked fine in Deus Ex, Thief, No One Lives Forever and pretty much every single game that has used it. Conversely, you could do for an actual cover system like Killzone 2, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood or the upcoming Red Orchestra 2. Basically, when you're next to an object that has been flagged as cover, you stick to it and can lean around the sides and the top, all while maintaining a first-person perspective.

Finally, my first issue with the automatic take-downs is that they're in third person. Other games have had first-person takedowns, like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and I think Chronicles of Riddick. I didn't find those implementations awkward at all. My second issue is that the actual take-downs are completely non-interactive and watching the same animations over and over will grow tiresome very quickly. I'd much rather have an actual melee system ala Deus Ex where I can manually swing my weapon whenever I want. In DX, you could knock guys out by hitting them on the back of the head with a baton. It was quick, efficient and kept the player fully involved. In addition, I believe the take-downs in DX3 don't even have to be performed from behind. As soon as you get within range and push the appropriate button, the takedown will commence regardless of whether you're sneaking around or right in the middle of combat.

48. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 17:10 Creston

Why do people keep saying Ubisoft? Seriously, it's published by Eidos. It even says so in the freaking blurb.

Anyways, I'm skipping the trailer because I don't want more of the game spoilered. I'm sold enough that I'll buy it. All I gotta hope for now is that it'll be worth it. (The devs talking about 15-20 hours of campaign pretty much made me weep with joy.)

Creston

47. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 15:48 space captain

rocketship wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 13:59:
If a lot of people would sign a petition to get a full first person view with an DLC-pack,
maybe that would happen.

I don't think Ubisoft would want to miss an opportunity to make extra money.
And we gamers would get what we want.

win-win.

sometimes i wish i was still a teenager

Go forth, and kill!

46. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 15:30 DG

Um, this is the beginning of the "very first level". Of course the solutions are going to be very obvious, it's pretty much a tutorial.

I'm also confident the highlighting is going to be removed, or tweaked so that you have to be pointing and almost touching it, on anything above normal difficulties.

I do hope the cover system is indeed optional though. Or at least a 'natural' one rather than "press button to lean into wall".

45. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 15:01 Surf

GLOWING OBJECTS AND ITEMS?!?!?!?!

FUCK
YOU!

44. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 13:59 rocketship

If a lot of people would sign a petition to get a full first person view with an DLC-pack,
maybe that would happen.

I don't think Ubisoft would want to miss an opportunity to make extra money.
And we gamers would get what we want.

win-win.

43. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 13:45 Bumpy

Sketchy yet fun looking gameplay aside, will not buy till I hear PC version contains proper PC adjustments for the platform.  

42. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 09:35 Shataan

Dated. And horribley so.  

41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 09:12 J

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the triangle in the game name looking like Playstation consolitis yet, or the schwing icon on the pre-video screen.

Joking aside, the only thing which irks me about the video is the highlighting of interactive objects and the lack of blood from a fatal takedown. Wasn't the whole point of that blood to let a guard who is wandering by know that something was afoot?

Oh, one other thing which irks me... AUGUST!!!!

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 07:30 Beamer

3rd person takedowns are the type of things that look impressive for the first 10 times but then get so annoying that you stop doing it.

Like looting in RDR; after a while I stopped altogether. I was so sick of seeing Martson lean down to loot a dead body. Redundant animations that just serve to waste time...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 07:15 InBlack

Looks interesting, as long as the rest of the game is not as simple as this but like some others have said before this is probably for demoing the gameplay style to people who have never had any previous experience with a crossgenre title like this.

With that said any FPS which isnt developed on the PC as the lead platform has a rather large chance of ending up a total clusterfuck.

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 05:04 Sho

Guys, you are overreacting. This is an 8 minute promotional video that is supposed to get the point across, to a mainstream audience (i.e. not us, we don't need to be told - but the CoD losers do!), that this is a game that allows for the same situation to be handled in multiple ways. They needed to pick something straightforward so they can repeat it three times in 8 minutes.

A single situation != a full level. Others have said that the full level is much bigger than DX:IW-size. You can pick similar two-minute-thirty sequences out of DX1 to make the same sort of demo video.

I agree the AI is too stoic for my tastes here, but they might have deliberately toned it down for a more controlled experience for the video, dunno. In one hands-on piece by some site I read pretty good things about the AI, supposedly it's quite sim-heavy, i.e. does unexpected and emergent things (sometimes resulting in funny quirks though as that sort of AI is bound to, but I'd rather have quirky than predictable). I would have liked to see more of that in this video, but I still have some hope it's there.

There was some positive news in there too for me: Cover is optional. YAY.

And finally, for some perspective: A game touting, in terms of its PR, multi-choice level design and doing that in a way that is targeted at and digestible to a mainstream audience is a good thing! We want the mainstream to wake up to that message and demand more than CoD.

They still have until August to polish, too. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, mkay?

37. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 03:46 ELITE

Well - before they released this - I thought "maybe" we'd see something new and special if they were really going back to DX1 format but I'm guessing this will be user friendly (console) game...

I do hope that this level was straight forward because it was a tutorial - but I didn't even see anything to think that even the AI was functional.

Actually I think Splinter Cell Conviction was more impressive...

36. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 03:19 Sho

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 22:58:
Looking forward to this, as usual haters are gonna hate.

Yeah, ditto. I see this, and I want to play it. Certainly the most interesting big-budget FPS I've seen in years. I had fun with BioShock, but this just rubs me in a righter way.

It might not live up to Deus Ex, but then it's my favorite game of all time, so I'm used to games not measuring up ;). I'm resolved to not let that spoil the fun that might be had anyway.

35. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 03:08 mag

Lorcin wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 02:55:
I found the switch to 3rd in cover jarring too - but I'm sure that was because I wasn't expecting it. I'm sure if I was actually pressing the key that triggered that transition it would be fine.

I agree about the takedowns having to be 3rd person - Mirror's Edge proved the problems with 1st person melee.

What to do when you have to add jarring, immersion-breaking transitions to add an unnecessary element: don't add it.

34. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 03:07 saluk

Not bad. I don't care if it's as good as DX (it wont be). I'm just thrilled to have a chance at a game like this, as long as it is decent. If it's better than IW, and is an fps with a decent story for a change, I'll be happy happy joy joy. They just dont make enough games like this  

33. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 03:00 eRe4s3r

lottery = You can only win by not playing.  

32. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 02:56 Dmitri_M

why is the ladder highlighted

why are boxes highlighted

why

31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 02:55 Lorcin

I found the switch to 3rd in cover jarring too - but I'm sure that was because I wasn't expecting it. I'm sure if I was actually pressing the key that triggered that transition it would be fine.

I agree about the takedowns having to be 3rd person - Mirror's Edge proved the problems with 1st person melee.

Pritchard's voice is dreadful - I'm guessing he turns out to be a bad guy later in the game and we get to shoot him which will be nice.

Does electricity actually look like that in water?

Oh none to keen on the highlighting, the regenerating health or the fact that the so called stealth takedowns were far from silent - are the other guards deaf or just don't hear a heavily armoured full grown man hitting the deck?

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo