Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW

Gamasutra has word from Blizzard's Frank Pierce, who says that their upcoming Diablo III may cannibalize World of Warcraft before the release of Titan, their next MMORPG. "It's hard to say. I think even a shorter-term concern is whether or not we might see cannibalization of WoW players from Diablo III when we launch it, because it's a similar type of experience. Not exactly similar, but it's that RPG feel," he tells them in response to a question about Titan cutting into WoW. "For us, I think it's really important that we recognize that somewhere, sometime it's likely that someone is going to cannibalize World of Warcraft players. So it's better we cannibalize them ourselves than let someone else do that, because if we cannibalize them ourselves, they're still a Blizzard customer."

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 22, 2011, 11:03 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 22:01:
Rift, eh? LOL! Yeah, sure. See you F2P this time next year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 22, 2011, 09:39 bhcompy

Yifes wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:52:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:35:
Which is why adults play EVE instead of WoW. We leave WoW to the kids who are bored with their 360s

You can play EVE for 1 hr a day? I've always thought that EVE was an even bigger timesink and waste of your life than WOW.

Sure you can play EVE for an hour a day. One of the biggest benefits of EVE is that character advancement occurs whether or not you're logged on(as long as you queue it up). Same goes for manufacturing(crafting), buying/selling(you can place standing market orders that sit for hours/days/weeks/months), and other things. The actual business of fighting can take as long as you want. If you want to earn some cash mining or mission running or killing pirates(ratting) or PVPing, you can do all of that in an hours span of time.

54. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 22, 2011, 00:36 Teddy

Talisorn wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 20:55:
Trion are already chewing away at Blizzard's ankles. There have been lots of MMOs that have tried to woo WoW players, but so far Rift is the only thing that's come close to satisfying the disaffected masses who craving the days of WoW vanilla and not have to rely on addon, meters and "press this button now" addons or play the casualised game that has become WoW.

But for everyone else, there's always LotRO.

Chewing at blizzard's ankles? They refuse to even release sales numbers, with all outside accounts suggesting that retail sales are only sitting around 170k worldwide with an estimated 40% more sold as digital downloads. That puts them at just shy of 250,000 players. Other estimates have put them as high as 340,000 players but compared with WoW's 12 million, they've not even reached blizzard's ankles. Hell, they still haven't gotten out from underneath the soles of blizzard's shoes, yet.

I wish them well, but let's not try to make them out into world conquerers just because you and your friends jumped over. There's a reason they're refusing to release their own sales and subscriber numbers, and chances are good that it's not because they want to suprise everyone with how awesome they're doing.

53. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 22:01 Cutter

Rift, eh? LOL! Yeah, sure. See you F2P this time next year.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

52. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 20:55 Talisorn

Trion are already chewing away at Blizzard's ankles. There have been lots of MMOs that have tried to woo WoW players, but so far Rift is the only thing that's come close to satisfying the disaffected masses who craving the days of WoW vanilla and not have to rely on addon, meters and "press this button now" addons or play the casualised game that has become WoW.

But for everyone else, there's always LotRO.

51. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 18:29 Kxmode

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 17:27:
kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:48:
Icewind wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:22:
Activision-Blizzard only makes kiddie console crap.

I hate to burst your bubble but video games are made mostly for kids. Just saying...

Pacman , Frogger, Tempest, Poleposition may have been made for kids like me back then, but I vow to play videogames until the day I die

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I think if William Shakespeare were alive today he'd probably be avid gamer. I think he would dig Donkey Kong.

50. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 18:20 Creston

kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 13:27:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 11:51:
Right. But if the games really aren't very similar, why would players jump?

Boredom with WOW. Sick of the same old, same old. Tired of Ghostcrawlers constant tweaks. Constant retcons. Weird story telling. Lots of "jump the shark" stuff.

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 11:51:
At most, I'd expect people to play Diablo 3 AND to keep playing WoW. The only way people would dump WoW for Diablo 3 is if Diablo 3 is an improved version of WoW. Right?

You suggest that only people who like WOW would play Diablo 3. I say gamers aren't afraid to cross genres. You have gamers that will play StarCraft 2, then play Fallout: New Vegas, then switch over to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, then back to WOW, and they might sneak in an occasional Sins of the Solar Empire every now and then.

Exactly. People who are bored with WoW will go play something else. Yet Blizzard seems to indicate that Diablo3 is going to cause a drastic shift from WoW to Diablo, and I'm kind of wondering why.

Creston

49. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 17:44 Theo

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:51:
That hasn't been true for a long time now, the largest demographic are 18-35 male IIRC. We can argue that still qualifies as a child but that aside..

I think he was talking mental age, you know like most of the folks in this topic.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

48. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 17:27 Optional nickname

I hate to burst your bubble but video games are made mostly for kids. Just saying...

Pacman , Frogger, Tempest, Poleposition may have been made for kids like me back then, but I vow to play videogames until the day I die

47. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 15:43 Cutter

The major problem for Blizzard here is that Diablo 3 will obviously take away players from WoW because it has the same sort of Pavlovian formula. So how do you deal with a franchise that - in effect - does the same thing as WoW but without a monthly fee attached to it? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Blizzard doesn't permit LAN play and charges a nominal $5 per month fee for Bnet for "infrastructure costs". Obviously there will be a huge backlash and people will scream bloody murder to the high heavens, but I believe Blizzard will at least test the waters with this. That or do the free and "premium" models where your fee nets you more bankspace and other things. It's like the Joker said in Dark Knight, if you're good at something never do it for free.

I wouldn't even factor into Titan into this because it's probably another 3-5 years off at any rate. And by that time WoW will really start to see some serious attrition and everyone will be waiting for the next big thing (i.e. Titan). Obviously Diablo 3 will see huge numbers, but the feeling I'm getting here is it's more of a stop-loss to fill the gap between WoW and Titan.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

46. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 15:01 Kxmode

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:54:

If you truly believe that, then you are clueless. Or a kid. Same difference, really.

According to the ESA Essential Facts: Computer and Video Game Industry on page 2 "the average game player age is 34". I stand corrected then.

45. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:54 Agent.X7

If you truly believe that, then you are clueless. Or a kid. Same difference, really.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

44. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:52 Yifes

bhcompy wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:35:
Which is why adults play EVE instead of WoW. We leave WoW to the kids who are bored with their 360s

You can play EVE for 1 hr a day? I've always thought that EVE was an even bigger timesink and waste of your life than WOW.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2011, 14:58.

43. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:51 Yifes

Diablo 3 has already been proven to be consolized. Why we are wasting our time reporting about a console baby game like D3 I have no idea.

A console version in the works with the PC as the primary platform not= consolized. Besides, I don't see how Diablo 2's hack and slash clickfest can get any more "kiddie" and "consolized".

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2011, 15:00.

42. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:51 Verno

That hasn't been true for a long time now, the largest demographic are 18-35 male IIRC. We can argue that still qualifies as a child but that aside..  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

41. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:48 Kxmode

40. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:35 bhcompy

Yakubs wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 13:03:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 12:04:
InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 12:00:
Maybe because Diablo can be played 15 minutes at a time (a quick boss run or something) and WoW raids are a major pain in the ass for the majority of adult gamers?
You dont have to raid. Most WoW players just play "normal" PvE and sometimes easy instances up to an hour a day. The majority of WoW players never sees endgame content.

You're forgetting about adult gamers who aren't mentally disabled. You can spend an hour a day and get up to level 85. Then what? As of Cata, you cannot reliably do PvE content for an hour a day at 85. Many of the 5-mans take 90+ minutes to complete with pugs. Nonetheless, you can power through, anger your wife, and do the 5-mans enough times to get Heroic items. I did this in a matter of a few weeks.

Then what, again? You can't raid. 5-mans STILL take 60 minutes minimum and now you don't get anything out of them. What are you supposed to do? Craft crap?

Level 85 WoW is designed for raiding/PvPing and for people who never tire of dressing their character in neat outfits. There's very little content for those in between. I outlined this argument to Blizzard when I canceled my account like a month after Cata came out.

39. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:22 Icewind

Diablo 3 has already been proven to be consolized. Why we are wasting our time reporting about a console baby game like D3 I have no idea.

38. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:12 Vex

Really? This is the only logical reason? I guess we know why people voted the way they did in 2008. You guys do not look at history or facts? Blizzard has a LONG HISTORY of taking their time on games and you guys want to say this crap without any proof? Laughable. Wow is not going anywhere until Titan. Save this post and when I am right...you can cut and paste it.

Woah, easy there fanboi! D3 has been in development since 2001, which is a hell of a long time even by Blizzard standards.

Here's another reason: they are working on the console port.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas

37. No subject Mar 21, 2011, 13:55 AnointedSword

"The only reason D3 isn't out is because they haven't wanted it to cannibalize their other products....they can sit on the damn thing like a golden egg if they wanted to."

Really? This is the only logical reason? I guess we know why people voted the way they did in 2008. You guys do not look at history or facts? Blizzard has a LONG HISTORY of taking their time on games and you guys want to say this crap without any proof? Laughable. Wow is not going anywhere until Titan. Save this post and when I am right...you can cut and paste it.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo