Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 23:58 ledhead1969

"America has long been on its way to a fascist oligarchy."

Did you even finish high school? The president is a Dem. The congress was Dem until they got an ass-kicking in Nov. If you are going to say conspiracy nut-case BS, at least provide some examples. I guess you are also being attacked by satellite weapons? Being followed?

Crank this up, Brother!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1Xt3T9ZnY&feature=related

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 20:49 avianflu

Anti-trust was practiced diligently in the USA 1980's (remember the big deal over the Time/Warner merge?) but corporations rather effectively killed the topic in the 90's.  

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 16:16 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 15:22:
Hate to break it to you, but anti-trust started to die with Nixon and Reagan was the guy who really gutted the hell out of it. And not just picking on the GOP here because Clinton sure helped it along too and its not like Obama is any different for all his rhetoric.

No, make no mistake. America has long been on its way to a fascist oligarchy. All they need to do is just keep chipping away at it slowly so as most people are unaware untill they wake up one day and that's all there's left. Perhaps that's what's needed for the people to shake off their apathy and start a new revolution.

Thanks for the laugh, sir. Next time, understand the words you use before throwing them out, as it's clear you have no clue. In any case, here's your tin-foil hat, compliments of me.

Having actually studied the economics of antitrust, market share consolidation is not the major trigger point of action. In fact, it's pretty low on the list, if it's there at all. You could very easily have a monopoly in a private-sector industry in the United States or in the European Union and not have it face any serious antitrust scrutiny, and there's two major reasons for that.

First off is evidence of the use of market power. There is very little, if any, evidence that AT&T has been able to affect prices of cellular phone plans or restrict entry; if anything, several regional carriers have done a decent job of undercutting them on a handful of services. I don't see how the acquisition of T-Mobile would necessarily help them unfairly block out competition. To wit, AT&T might suck to kingdom come as a cellular carrier (okay, okay, no "might" about it), but they seem to have, now or in the future, little to no market power on rates, much less actually using it.

Secondly, the telecommunications industry is about the furthest thing from a "free market" that you have in the United States, apart from government services and health care (I'll spare you all the zinger of "but I repeat myself"). If anything, what you're going to see from this merger is the FCC looking the combined company over and going "okay, we have no problems... so long as you do A, B, C, ... hell, do we have enough letters in the alphabet for this list? Maybe we have to use other alphabets as well?" Expect terms to include certain consumer protections as well as mandating a selloff of surplus cellular spectrum and redundant towers in the combined system, as well as extracting commitments to an expanded rollout of their backhaul lines. Even once this thing goes through (and I see nothing that would kill it on its face), expect the US government to have their nose in it for several years (beyond what they have their nose in any other telco, I mean).

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 15:22 Cutter

Hate to break it to you, but anti-trust started to die with Nixon and Reagan was the guy who really gutted the hell out of it. And not just picking on the GOP here because Clinton sure helped it along too and its not like Obama is any different for all his rhetoric.

No, make no mistake. America has long been on its way to a fascist oligarchy. All they need to do is just keep chipping away at it slowly so as most people are unaware untill they wake up one day and that's all there's left. Perhaps that's what's needed for the people to shake off their apathy and start a new revolution.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 14:53 Verno

More than half of that is probably the capital assets alone, cellular infrastructure is incredibly expensive once you factor in all of the costs.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 14:31 Shooman

$39 BILLION dollars! Holy crap!

You could rebuild Christchurch 30 times with that kind of money...

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 12:31 Beamer

Well, T-Mobile was exiting, anyway. Not sure what people here expect. T-Mobile wasn't overly profitable and the value is in the customer base and the infrastructure, so long as you already have customer base and infrastructure to leverage against it.

So when a player wants to exit there are pretty much only 3 options to buy.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 12:25 Ozmodan

Nerian wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 11:26:
Anti-trust regulation is in place to prevent monopolies, not customer inconvenience. I believe they said that 18 of the top 20 markets currently have at least 5 providers covering their metro areas. This means that there will still be competition in those areas.

In the areas where ATT would be left as the only provider, they are generally going to be required by the feds to divest themselves of a portion of their assets in said areas to another company before the merger will be approved.

There's a reason they expect this to take a year or so to go through the works. You're blowing it a tad bit out of proportion. There's plenty of ways for this to get approved without causing a monopoly anywhere.

What complete nonsense! It basically leaves 3 providers in most areas which DEFINITELY falls under anti-trust consideration. If the government lets this go through, expect your phone bills to reach the stratusphere!

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2011, 15:36.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 11:57 Lit_Reflex001

Just seems kind of fishy that they're able to buy Cingular and now TMobile...  

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 11:26 Nerian

Anti-trust regulation is in place to prevent monopolies, not customer inconvenience. I believe they said that 18 of the top 20 markets currently have at least 5 providers covering their metro areas. This means that there will still be competition in those areas.

In the areas where ATT would be left as the only provider, they are generally going to be required by the feds to divest themselves of a portion of their assets in said areas to another company before the merger will be approved.

There's a reason they expect this to take a year or so to go through the works. You're blowing it a tad bit out of proportion. There's plenty of ways for this to get approved without causing a monopoly anywhere.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 11:26 Shineyguy

There's still 2 other major cell service carriers out there, not quite sure how it's anti-trust...  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2011, 10:45 Creston

If the anti-trust commission approves the AT&T/T-Mobile deal, they might as well just fire themselves, and scrap every anti-trust law and regulation there is on the books.

This kind of insanity is exactly what the anti-trust rules are in place for.

Creston

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo