Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM

Round table interview with Nathan Camarillo on Gaming Nexus is part of a group phone conversation with the executive producer of Crysis 2, Crytek's upcoming first-person shooter sequel. Nathan talks about the game's change of setting, the HUD, whether gamers who skipped the first Crysis will be confused, and more. There's also a Crysis 2 interview on GameShark also talking with Nathan about how the game again demonstrates their technical prowess, a bit on the leaked version, and on a related note, his feelings about Digital Rights Management:

"I know there's a lot of negative feelings toward DRM. But, I mean, what are we supposed to do? The actions of a few are causing maybe a mild inconvenience for others. If I'm playing a game and it has DRM on it, do I notice? Not really. I just know that there's something going on, but doesn't really enhance (sic) my play experience. So, it's something that we'll have to look at in the future."

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 24, 2011, 01:40 OldScho0l

I was wrong! There aren't any cracks or installers yet.

I was at my brothers today and he was playing the PC version. He's really enjoying the game. I may pick it up in order to MP with him.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 23:57 OldScho0l

I have to lol! There are already cracks available for Crysis 2. DRM FAIL!  

45. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 12:30 Jerykk

This is really to try to make sure gamers know that devs aren't going to look the other way with piracy and that they think piracy hurts them. I'd guess it works, too. I'd wager that if people felt piracy wasn't a big deal they'd buy fewer games.

If that's the case, wouldn't a rudimentary disc-check and/or CD-key suffice? Both are about as worthless as online activations and limited installs since they all inevitably get cracked, usually on day one.

I'm pretty sure pirates don't care about the public perception of piracy. The amount of DRM you slap onto games is also largely irrelevant to them, since the cracked versions aren't hindered by any such limitations. They know full well that piracy is illegal but legality obviously doesn't hold much value to them.

44. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 10:49 Matchstick

I can't really comment on the US being on the other side of the pond but there did seem to be a reasonable PC game resale market a few years ago but it is basically dead now.

Which suits the devs just fine IMHO.

As for DRM as a way of emphasising how naughty piracy is, that's an interesting idea, but then why do developers & publishers seem to like DRM mechanisms with features like restricting the number of machines the software can be installed on ?

That inconveniences paying customers but would seem to add nothing of benefit if the aim is to get the word out that copying games is bad.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2011, 11:50.

43. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 10:38 Beamer

The PC has never had much of a resale market, anyway. Has anyone ever seen more than a handful of PC games at GameStop? Even those 10-12 per store disappeared 7 or 8 years ago.

DRM is in part just a thing of perception. If people see PC devs going out of their way to prevent piracy they'll know piracy is frowned upon. They'll know it's very bad. It sounds elementary and stupid but there have been boatloads of studies that people act worse when they think that it's acceptable behavior, even if they know it isn't. This is really to try to make sure gamers know that devs aren't going to look the other way with piracy and that they think piracy hurts them. I'd guess it works, too. I'd wager that if people felt piracy wasn't a big deal they'd buy fewer games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 10:30 Matchstick

What is the point of DRM ?

It doesn't stop the game being cracked and spread round (I know of only one game that hasn't been cracked - Steel Beasts PE - and that's so niche no-one cares) so, what do developers feel they get from the money they have to spend to implement it ?

I suspect that DRM has absolutely nothing to do with combating piracy and everything to do with killing the resale market, but if any publisher or developer was to actually admit that the PR firestorm would be fatal.

It's much easier and safer to claim you are doing this to block the pirates than to admit that you are restricting the rights of your paying customers.

41. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 09:59 KilrathiAce

Instead of talking about DRM, which does nothing to improve or sell the game for me, lets talk about game itself. Will the PC version be tweaked with more real options so that the actual game looks more like a PC game? Will the full SDK be released for free?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

40. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 09:03 Acleacius

Yes poor, poor ea and crytek. Cry  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

39. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 08:56 InBlack

Arithon wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 04:58:
  • DRM costs money to implement.

• DRM costs money for each unit sold for licensing.

• DRM is not a "mild inconvenience" it's a royal pain in the arse and now (next to price) the biggest reason for skipping a game.

• DRM doesn't stop piracy, it just punishes the buying customer for paying.

• Drop DRM, pass on the cost saving and sell more units as a result.

After the demo of Crysis 2 was deactivated (although still listed on Steam) I find it unlikely that I will buy this game anyway. Blame piracy if it makes you feel better.

QFT. I have a feeling that some people would believe anything regardless of the facts.

The fact remains that DRM costs the developers as well as the paying customer. Pirates end up with the game in any case.

The only ones profiting from DRM are companies that make and implement DRM. Its bullshit, but some people eat it up like its chocolate chip ice-cream.

Its pointless to argue logic with people who are unable to accept it. And most people will stick to their belief regardless of the evidence against it.

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 04:58 Arithon

• DRM costs money to implement.

• DRM costs money for each unit sold for licensing.

• DRM is not a "mild inconvenience" it's a royal pain in the arse and now (next to price) the biggest reason for skipping a game.

• DRM doesn't stop piracy, it just punishes the buying customer for paying.

• Drop DRM, pass on the cost saving and sell more units as a result.

After the demo of Crysis 2 was deactivated (although still listed on Steam) I find it unlikely that I will buy this game anyway. Blame piracy if it makes you feel better.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

37. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 04:54 Mac

@AnointedSword - I completely agree

One thing you should not do is make legit customers jump through more hoops and game/pc breaking issues than the pirates have to. It could be argued that the pirates get the best version (without malware, etc)

36. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 21, 2011, 00:49 Sempai

Yawn..  

35. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 20, 2011, 23:54 necrosis

Humm lets see. What was it... last week? Ubi's servers fucked up and I could not play AC2 for 2 days. Yeah, DRM is fantastic.  

34. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 20, 2011, 20:45 Jerykk

You want to put more on the people that create games by telling them to make two versions? Come on man. You have no argument. Your reasoning is invalid. I bet you want a check for the work you do don't you? If not, send me your check. I apologize, sick of Hypocrites.

Your logic is flawed. It doesn't require any extra work to make a version without DRM because, well, you don't actually have to do anything. Games don't have DRM by default. It has to be added. Well, after it's licensed, of course. But before that, the publisher has to decide which DRM scheme to use first. Also, after DRM is implemented, the publisher and developer have to deal with the inevitably negative PR and tech support issues. So yes, adding DRM does cost money and add more work for both developers and publishers. It would be cheaper and easier to not implement any DRM at all.

As for getting paid for my work, sure, I want that. Except I don't think you know how professional games development actually works. Non-indie developers get paid by publishers throughout the course of development. Specifically, they get paid when they deliver milestones that show the progress of the game. These payments happen regardless of how the game sells once it is released. Truth is, most developers never see another penny after their game is released because publishers don't pay royalties until after they've recouped their costs. With development budgets routinely exceeding 10-20 million dollars and marketing budgets doubling that, a game has to sell millions of units before there's even a chance of the developer getting royalties.

33. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 20, 2011, 20:27 Prez

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 20:01:
    Ok Mac, let us assume you care. Who are we blaming then? I say go after the people that crack these games and take them down.

Anyone can make a crack. If you mean go after people who download and use the cracks, you're talking a massive portion of your user base. The music industry already tried that; we all know how well that worked out. I don't think anyone would argue that the whole "landslide of lawsuits" (a.k.a "Sue 'em all; let God sort 'em out!") campaign against their user base wasn't an utter disaster and back-fired enormously. Who would have thunk it? Being belligerently hostile to your user base is actually bad for business! Dozey

The bottom line is that the only people who end up having to put up with these completely ridiculous DRM schemes are paying customers. Pirates are busy laughing their asses off at people stupid enough to get treated like shit while paying for the privilege. DRM does not stop pirates - it makes pirates. I would never think of downloading and playing a game without paying for it, but I still add to the torrent numbers every year because I flatly refuse to put up with the bullshit DRM restrictions for a game I legally own. And no, I don't give a shit that some pansy might get his or her knickers in a twist because I'm "part of the problem". I pirate. It's publishers' fault. Deal with it. Maybe, if you get your way, I can get "taken down" by anti-piracy crusaders and their IP-trolling lawyers. Who cares. I'll settle up with whatever asshole I need to, and keep doing what I've been doing. I just don't give a shit anymore.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2011, 20:34.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 20, 2011, 20:11 Zavy

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 20:01:
    Ok Mac, let us assume you care. Who are we blaming then? I say go after the people that crack these games and take them down.

Yeah good luck with that.. they have tried and failed pretty badly at it. You simply cannot stop the piracy it will always happen.

31. No subject Mar 20, 2011, 20:01 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

30. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 20, 2011, 19:54 Mac

Because Crytek's DRM won't be cracked within 24 hours of release will it?

All DRM does is break the second hand market - it does sod all to prevent piracy.

29. No subject Mar 20, 2011, 19:52 AnointedSword

Here is a thought. No money, no developers, no publishers= no games. It is that simple. Sorry, the government is not the answer to better gamers either. Pirating is selfish, period!

You cannot defend stealing. You want to put more on the people that create games by telling them to make two versions? Come on man. You have no argument. Your reasoning is invalid. I bet you want a check for the work you do don't you? If not, send me your check. I apologize, sick of Hypocrites.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

28. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2, DRM Mar 20, 2011, 19:49 Jerykk

Show me the numbers to back your claim that it has no effect on sales and only hurts the paying customer.

Firstly, that's the whole problem: there are no numbers. There is no reliable way to prove that a pirated copy would have otherwise resulted in a sale had piracy not been an option. Publishers can cite the number of torrent downloads but again, that doesn't prove anything in terms of lost sales.

Secondly, the vast majority of DRM-infected games get cracked within a day. These cracks are included with the games that get seeded on torrents and torrents represent casual piracy because anyone with a modicum of technical ability can use them. Therefore, the only pirates which DRM would stop are those who have no technical savvy whatsoever and don't know how to overwrite one file with another, even with the explicit instructions included in the pirated game's nfo. Realistically, how many pirates are that dumb?

If publishers really wanted to prove the efficacy of DRM, they would release two versions of each game: one with DRM and one without. The one with DRM would clearly list all the limitations imposed by its DRM, while the one without DRM would clearly state that it has no such limitations. Then we'd see which one sells more. I'm pretty sure the DRM-free version would sell more.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo