Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Knocks DirectX

Farewell to DirectX on bit-tech.net hears from Richard Huddy, head of GPU developer relations at AMD, who states that DirectX is holding back game performance. He blames this on consoles, though it seems logical that this would probably be less of an issue for AMD if they manufactured CPUs or GPUs for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Though programming more directly for the hardware on two different GPU architectures would be more difficult, he claims the most common request he gets from developers is to "make the API go away." Here's a bit:

'It's funny,' says AMD's worldwide developer relations manager of its GPU division, Richard Huddy. 'We often have at least ten times as much horsepower as an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in a high-end graphics card, yet it's very clear that the games don't look ten times as good. To a significant extent, that's because, one way or another, for good reasons and bad - mostly good, DirectX is getting in the way.' Huddy says that one of the most common requests he gets from game developers is: 'Make the API go away.'

'I certainly hear this in my conversations with games developers,' he says, 'and I guess it was actually the primary appeal of Larrabee to developers not the hardware, which was hot and slow and unimpressive, but the software being able to have total control over the machine, which is what the very best games developers want. By giving you access to the hardware at the very low level, you give games developers a chance to innovate, and that's going to put pressure on Microsoft no doubt at all.'

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

5. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 10:56 Acleacius

I maybe reading it wrong but think he means directx design is being based on what consoles can and can't handle. In other terms he means "Dumbing Down" of directx the same way we all complain about game development.

Which of course if he does mean this, he would be correct or I'm just giving him too much credit.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 10:36 baltar

The last time devs had such low level access to the OS, they used Starforce DRM and fucked shit up.  

3. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 10:27 Arithon

He's got a short memory. Like most older gamers, I remember DLL hell, games not running simply because you had the wrong make or model of video card and the constant tweaking needed to get games to work at all. I remember having a very powerful PowerVR video card but not being able to run most games because they all ran with 3DFX.

DirectX has many flaws, but they are more than compensated for by the advantages of a unified development platform for the PC, regardless of video hardware.

Performance issues are more likely caused by code being developed to run on Intel or AMD and not optimised for just one. Innovation is being "limited" in games by politics not hardware matters, such as the decision to NOT have a battlefield commander in BF3, as DICE says they want to "Simplify" which in my opinion means "Dumb down". That's not caused by restrictions of the DirectX API, or the hardware limitations of consoles, but an attempt to appeal to the lowest common (console) audience.

I think Huddy has it wrong.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

2. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 10:17 InBlack

Maybe from the few people like John Carmack who actually know how to access all that low level stuff, and dont give a shit how well their game sells or not.

The rest (99.9999999999%) all want to their games to reach the broadest possible audience and to be as simple to program as possible and maybe make a buck on the side, well those devs really love DirectX.

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 10:11 nin

Huddy says that one of the most common requests he gets from game developers is: 'Make the API go away.'

What a fucking liar.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo