Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hitman 5 Hints?

Hitmanforum has the latest hints that Hitman 5 is on the way, outlining what seems to be an ARG related to IO Interactive's assassination series. This is the latest discussion of the continuation of the series following rumors going back to 2009. The latest news involves an Agent 47-styled barcode and a string of deductions leading the Official Xbox 360 Magazine to speculate the game will be revealed at E3 this year. Thanks Gamer's Hell.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 20, 2011, 00:44 Jerykk

Oh, now that you bring it up, I vaguely remember that level. It was pretty small and forgettable though and not a good representative of the rest of the game.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 19, 2011, 21:21 Sepharo

After looking at a walkthrough the level I'm talking about is "THE BJARKHOV BOMB" it takes place on a military base with ice.

In the walkthrough for the next level the author starts out, "Now we're talking. This is what the game's about..." So maybe I was right on the edge of having fun and just didn't make it.

20. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 19, 2011, 20:09 Jerykk

I'm guessing I didn't make it very far but I do specifically remember a large icy level that was just boring. I much preferred Blood Money with it's focus on interesting non-military themed locations.

It sounds like you're talking about Hitman 2, not Contracts. In Hitman 2, there's a level where you're in the snowy Japanese mountains and have to deal with ninja snipers in guard towers who can somehow recognize you even if you're wearing a full-body disguise and your face is completely covered. In fact, most of the levels in Hitman 2 had a very distinct military feel and it was really hard to actually be stealthy. Contracts was much more down to earth and made you feel like a hitman, rather than a mercenary.

19. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 18, 2011, 23:00 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 04:01:
beginning of the series' focus on actually being a hitman, rather than the elite commando you feel like in the first two games.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought Contracts was the opposite of what you stated here. It was wide open uninteresting levels with more of a focus on action and pew pew.

I'm guessing I didn't make it very far but I do specifically remember a large icy level that was just boring. I much preferred Blood Money with it's focus on interesting non-military themed locations.

I liked 1 and 2 a lot but Contracts felt like a departure from interesting locations and kill possibilites whereas Blood Money was a triumphant return to the gameplay I liked.

But it's entirely possible that I'm way off base with these concerns since it's been a long time but I do distinctly remember not liking it.

18. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 18, 2011, 04:53 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 04:18:
Eh, the entire movie was bad. There was no need for a love interest and no need for humor. 47 should not be smiling or cracking jokes. He shouldn't be doing kung fu or having sword fights either.

If they do make another Hitman movie, they should forget the first one ever existed and start fresh with a much darker tone that's more faithful to the character.

Apparently the original cut was quite a bit different, but Fox wanted a PG-13 move with more action, so they fired the original director/editor and brought in a new guy to reshoot several scenes, and they ditched the whole clone part of the storline. At least per IMDB.
Personally, I'd like to see the original cut.

17. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 18, 2011, 04:01 Jerykk

What was so bad about Contracts? I felt it was better than Hitman 1 and 2. Granted, most of the levels were remakes of levels from the first game but those were good levels so I'm not complaining. Contracts also marked the beginning of the series' focus on actually being a hitman, rather than the elite commando you feel like in the first two games.

Oh, and the Meat King level was awesome.

I don't really understand how you can hate Contracts if you enjoyed the other games in the series. It was just more of the same, only better.

16. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 22:39 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 04:48:
Oh also, where is Hitman Contracts? They have the other 3 hitman games on steam, why not that one?

Because it was god awful. I got a chuckle out of the collection the first time I saw it lacked Contracts. Rightfully so in my opinion.

I was working at GameStop when it released and I remember reserving it for myself and buying it full price (with a 10% employee discount). It was one of the fews games I actually felt angry about buying. (another was Oblivion)

15. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 22:32 siapnar

Aero wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 23:55:
Hitman 1 was the first game I specifically remember implementing ragdoll physics, and I probably spent about as much time making a game out of just trying to blast bad guys out third floor windows with a shotgun as the length of the single player campaigns in all the Modern Warfare games combined.

I remember being absolutely blown away by the fact that I was able to strangle a guard while he was pissing, and then dump his limp ragdoll body into the nearby sewer. I must have done it 27 times.

And that was only the demo of Hitman: Codename 47

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

14. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 06:50 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 05:33:
All these scenarios you talk about are great, but in reality they're pie in the sky and it'd turn into just another GTA clone.

Maybe. Blood Money was released 5 years ago so IO has had plenty of time to work on a Hitman game. I'm pretty sure they have multiple teams so perhaps they've had one team dedicated to Hitman while other teams worked on Kane & Lynch and Mini Ninjas.
3dr had even more time to work on duke, isn't going to make it an amazing game. Most of the time with these long waits, the companies aren't working on the game the whole time, because they can't afford to. Only some of the big independently wealthy companies like blizzard and valve can do that kinda thing. Companies that work with a publisher usually have to get it out within a reasonable time too, or else they aren't going to get funded. More likely they've been working on it less than a year.

13. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 05:33 Jerykk

All these scenarios you talk about are great, but in reality they're pie in the sky and it'd turn into just another GTA clone.

Maybe. Blood Money was released 5 years ago so IO has had plenty of time to work on a Hitman game. I'm pretty sure they have multiple teams so perhaps they've had one team dedicated to Hitman while other teams worked on Kane & Lynch and Mini Ninjas.

12. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 05:17 Dmitri_M

I get your point. But I'd prefer a standard FPS (scripted I suppose?) corridors and crafted mission approach than yet another open world title.

11. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 05:10 Jerykk

Let's rather have some quality missions like the previous games. Open world = open arsehole to every STD riddled cock worldwide.

The problem with the individual levels was that the AI was completely scripted. They never did anything dynamic or surprising. In an open-world game, there's a lot more flexibility as to what they can do. For example, if you go in guns blazing, a target can retreat to their car, escape and then hide. Hell, maybe even turn themselves depending on how many targets you've already taken out, forcing you to get to them in a police station. While individual levels allow for a wide variety of settings, an open-world would allow for much more dynamic gameplay and a much greater emphasis on planning, rather than memorizing the limited scripted AI patterns in individual levels.

In addition, an open-world would make escaping much more difficult. A target's guards would pursue you and cops would hit the scene soon after the gunfire started. Not only would you have to put more thought into finding and eliminating your target but you'd also have to put more thought into getting away with it.

Finally, an open-world would allow for even more ways of killing your targets. For example, you use your money to gain intel that a certain target has a dinner reservation at a fancy restaurant at 8 PM. At 7:45 PM, you drive along and intentionally run a red light in front of a cop. The cop pulls you over, you take him out, steal his clothing, get in the car and wait in front of the target's house. As he drives away, you follow him until you reach a neglected part of town, at which point you turn on the sirens and pull him over. Then you kill him, dump the body in his trunk and trash the car in a scrapyard. Or, you could arrest him instead of killing him, put him in the back of your cop car, then drive the cop car into a river. Or you could skip the cop part entirely and just go directly to the restaurant, knock out a cook or waiter, disguise yourself and poison the target's food when he arrives. If you want to be more subtle, maybe just put a diarrhetic in his food so he has to rush to the bathroom where you strangle him and leave his body in a closed stall. Or maybe you wait until he's driving home, at which point you rear-end his car into incoming traffic and cause him to get into a fatal accident.

An open-world provides so many more possibilities.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2011, 05:29.

10. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 04:48 Dev

Oh also, where is Hitman Contracts? They have the other 3 hitman games on steam, why not that one? I hate how companies put the "whatever" collection on steam and its missing a game. When I buy a collection I want it to have ALL the games from that series. Same thing with the "all games from random company collection." Rarely does it have all of them, I want them to have all of them.  

9. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 04:43 Dmitri_M

Jerykk wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 23:19:
I hope the next one is open-world where the targets have their own daily schedules and routines and adapt to the choices you make throughout the game. That would certainly justify the lengthy dev cycle.

Sarcasm I hope
Let's rather have some quality missions like the previous games. Open world = open arsehole to every STD riddled cock worldwide.

8. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 04:18 Jerykk

Eh, the entire movie was bad. There was no need for a love interest and no need for humor. 47 should not be smiling or cracking jokes. He shouldn't be doing kung fu or having sword fights either.

If they do make another Hitman movie, they should forget the first one ever existed and start fresh with a much darker tone that's more faithful to the character.

7. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 04:01 Dev

Faceman wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 02:38:
I think Jonah14's on the right track. I bet this is related to the sequel of that annoyingly shite movie with Timothy Olyphant.
While the movie wasn't that great (especially towards the end as the story devolved into crap), it did have some good scenes in it. Like many average rated action movies, after the first time through, I don't mind watching some of the scenes again.

Its too bad the movie only scratched the surface of what it was like playing the games. I think they would have had a hit if they would have focused it more closely on the games and redone the entire last 30 mins or so to be totally different.

6. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 02:38 Faceman

I think Jonah14's on the right track. I bet this is related to the sequel of that annoyingly shite movie with Timothy Olyphant.

Although a 5th installment in the Hitman series of games would be awesome (Blood Money rocked) I seriously doubt it's coming any time soon - if at all

5. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 01:09 Jonah14

No, it's hinting Hitman 2, the film, which is coming out 2012.  

4. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 17, 2011, 00:05 Cutter

Try as a Imight I could just never really get into the Hitman series.
I'd always play a mission or two and than just forget about the game. I guess I wanted something more akin to The Mechanic (the real one with Charles Bronson, not the POS they just released).

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 16, 2011, 23:55 Aero

Hitman 1 was the first game I specifically remember implementing ragdoll physics, and I probably spent about as much time making a game out of just trying to blast bad guys out third floor windows with a shotgun as the length of the single player campaigns in all the Modern Warfare games combined.

Though there were ups and downs and were never quite as good as they could have been, these really were brilliant games on the whole, and it was disappointing that IO has since sunk to the depths of developing the Kane and Lynch games (which I haven't tried but understand are awful).

In short, another Hitman would be splendid. So far as stealth/shooters go, there hasn't been a game that had the replayability and, more importantly, genuinely allowed the player a degree of actual creativity in how they play the game in quite a long time.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo