Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Homefront Sells 375K in One Day

In spite of news that THQ stock has dropped in value due to reviews of Homefront, this story says the first-person shooter sold 375,000 copies in the U.S. in its first day of sales. This figure, which does not include Europe, seems pretty respectable, though they note that juggernaut Call of Duty: Black Ops sold 5.6 million copies on its first day in stores in North America and the United Kingdom. "We are delighted with first day sales for 'Homefront' and are already fulfilling re-orders for the game from multiple retailers," Brian Farrell, THQ's chief executive said in a statement.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 20, 2011, 02:19 sc4r4b

17 hours into the multiplayer and I like it a lot.

It's BF with CoD in the mix. I always felt BF was slow and clunky but loved the maps and vehicles. While and I liked the twitch skills of CoD but I always wanted large maps and vehicles.

I have had more fun with this one than most of the games I've bought in the past year which includes BFBC and Blops. My friends and I tear shit up!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 17:56 Trevellian

After getting to spend some time in the Multiplayer portion of this game, wow.
What a load of garbage this game is in multiplayer.
(I loved the Single player, finished it earlier today and decided to give multi a shot)

What a fucking mess this game is. Snipers spawn camping on hill tops right off the bat in every map, the air vehicles control like shit (Compared to Bad Company 2 which i find the Heli's to be great) And forget about even getting to fly one or drive a tank cause the round is almost over by the time you get the points for it. It's literally like a Call of Duty team death match round with someone who goes on a kill streak getting to pilot a vehicle for like 30 seconds before a match ends. Pass on this if all you care about is Multi.

Might as well stick with Bad Company 2 until Battlefield 3 comes out if you like your Infantry/Vehicle combat games to not suck.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

36. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 17:27 DangerDog

Krovven wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 14:20:
I also didn't care for the way they didn't have a true delineation between having a home base for both teams

I thought this was a great change. It greatly limits spawn camping that is so prevalent in CoD.

But you still have spawn camping in this game on some maps where you have clear line of sight from one side of the map into another.

It eliminates one team completely dominating another team clear back to their main spawn, both arguments are more an artifact of poor map design though.

35. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 14:20 Krovven

I also didn't care for the way they didn't have a true delineation between having a home base for both teams

I thought this was a great change. It greatly limits spawn camping that is so prevalent in CoD.

34. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 13:48 DangerDog

Tumbler wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 09:58:
I like the way you purchase vehicles as well, there is no sharing where you have to wait, if you have to points then you can spend them on spawn. It's also nice that vehicles have to be purchased from the spawn menu because people won't be camping the vehicles spots if they are ready to drive a tank. It's better to charging into the enemy and see if you can take a few of them out, then you spawn in your tank.

They should have implemented both forms of vehicles, light vehicles that spawn and are team shared and others that you need to purchase.

The way they designed the maps, having the capture points so close together more or less negates needing any vehicle for transport.

I also didn't care for the way they didn't have a true delineation between having a home base for both teams, you just spawn in clumps around the edge of the map, or near your pseudo squad mates.

The squad system in the game is horrible, for a team based shooter they dropped the ball big time - especially considering Kaos made Desert Combat mod it's perplexing how they didn't make this work similar to Battlefield. You can choose a squad but from there you just autospawn near other members without being able to choose who you want to spawn near.

They only made minor improvements to the visuals during the beta, the sounds - which I had hoped were just placeholders because they're so poor - ended up being the final versions.

Vehicle physics was generally awful (most unreal engine games are though), I recall the cockpit view of the APC was like someone smeared Vaseline all over the screen making it useless, 3rd person view was clear as a bell.

Overall, I think another three months of spit and polish would have done a world of good. As it is it felt more like a semi-decent mod for Unreal Tournament III (the multiplayer anyway).

33. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 13:04 SpectralMeat

Tumbler wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 11:59:
. No you don't. There is actually a "perk" that enhances your accuracy to fire from the hip. It depends on the distance of your enemy also of course

Most weapons unlock a scope after 5 kills, a silencer after 25 and red dots after 50, so if you are just talking about iron sites u aren't forced to use them long.

I thought he was asking if you have to use the iron sight, aim with your weapon before you shoot or can you just pull the trigger and spray as soon as you see an enemy soldier.

To answer that no you do not have to aim every single time, depending on the distance of your enemy if they are close enough you do not have to use the aim, and there is a "soldier ability" thingy also in your soldier customization that helps with the shoot from the hip so you are more accurate with your weapon without aiming.

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 12:26 Krovven

Yes but pretty much every review has made a huge deal about it being 5 hours long, though they never complain about that with Call of Duty.

I agree, it's very hypocritical. I have no respect for reviewers making an issue of Homefront being 5 hrs, but never had a problem with it with CoD games. At least Homefront story flows and tells a real story...whereas the last CoD SP I played MW2 I didnt even finish because it was an MTV ADHD mess of a story that didn't know what the fuck it was doing or where it was going.

With that said, I am in total agreement the Homefront SP game isnt complete and ends just as it was beginning.

31. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 11:59 Tumbler

. No you don't. There is actually a "perk" that enhances your accuracy to fire from the hip. It depends on the distance of your enemy also of course

Most weapons unlock a scope after 5 kills, a silencer after 25 and red dots after 50, so if you are just talking about iron sites u aren't forced to use them long.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

30. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 11:56 Tumbler

I sure liked Frontlines and would buy Homefront really quick if it's similar.

Homefront Mp is very similar to frontlines but much improved. To begin with the experience is rough, countering what the enemy is doing can be confusing. It would help a lot to have a video explaining how you work together with your team, how you counter air, and in general how each item is used effectively. The parrot drone in infantry 101 but judging by how many ppl use it this isn't clear. Basically if there are 3 or 4 guys together one of then should be flying a parrot drone and trying to find people in the immediate area.

29. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 11:29 SpectralMeat

Anonymous wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 11:23:
do you have to bring up the iron sights to shoot people? I hate that except in DICE games...
No you don't. There is actually a "perk" that enhances your accuracy to fire from the hip. It depends on the distance of your enemy also of course

28. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 11:23 Lit_Reflex001

So has anyone who liked Frontlines played this game? Is it similar in gameplay (MP)?

I sure liked Frontlines and would buy Homefront really quick if it's similar.

Also, I just want to know... do you have to bring up the iron sights to shoot people? I hate that except in DICE games...

27. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 09:58 Tumbler

I'm enjoying the MP side. The SP side feels a little like I'm fighting robots, the ai is something we've seen from older games where enemies spawn, run to a location, then fire. Your job is to shoot them. The story does make it more tolerable but I've played maybe the first 30 min or so and it's just kind of blah. They definitely put in some screwed up @#$@% though. I'm not sure I think it's appropriate yet, if you're going to put stuff like that in I'd hope the experience would justify that and so far it hasn't. (for me)

The MP is fun. When you spawn you have a birds eye view of the battlefield, above your solder, then you zoom down quickly and start playing, while you're up there you can see everyone's location which is great at getting you adjusted to the situation. It's saved me from being spawn camped a few times and for the most part makes it easy to find the action. Spawning is handled well, spawn camping is very unlikely as the terrain makes it next to impossible without being behind the enemy lines where you'll stick out like a sore thumb at spawn.

The gameplay offers a lot of choices, one minute you can be running to take an objective, then change to controlling a little robot with a machine gun, or change to a robot that flys above the battlefield and spots enemies.

I like the way you purchase vehicles as well, there is no sharing where you have to wait, if you have to points then you can spend them on spawn. It's also nice that vehicles have to be purchased from the spawn menu because people won't be camping the vehicles spots if they are ready to drive a tank. It's better to charging into the enemy and see if you can take a few of them out, then you spawn in your tank.

And the killstreak like attacks are awesome so far. The first is the Hellfire missile, using it requires you earn 1200 points in the game, then spend them and you immediately are taken to a view from a predator drone looking down on the battlefield. If you're lucky a vehicle will be stopped somewhere and you can zoom in and fire your missiles on him (2), if not I try and use it to defend objectives or kill snipers. The hellfire missiles cause a big enough explosion that the enemy is thrown into the air for a bit, very satisfying on the loan sniper driving you crazy.

I like that the game has so many options to fly over the battlefield, it's a lot of fun between the predator, the drones, the helo's, it keeps the gameplay changing so you don't get bored. It's also nice to see 32 player games for a change, lot of chaos, guys killing you from the left while you're killing guys in front, the enemy seems to be everywhere at once. Sniping is done really well imo, not overpowered, but there are a ton of opportunities for snipers. I'll fly my parrot drone above a hill and will find 4 or 5 snipers from the other team up there, tag them all so my team can see them and watch as they get killed.

26. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 09:40 xXBatmanXx

Wow. Pretty impressed with what I have seen in the first 10 minutes. have to tweak some settings to run better, but I am thinking I will enjoy this one....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 09:30 Prez

Because it's safe to bash Homefront for it, being a smaller title from a lesser know Studio. So-called "Triple A" games from big publishers who pay a ton for ad space get all kinds of concessions in reviews from just about every gaming medium I have seen.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 09:11 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 07:50:
I don't know why CoD games get away with 5 hours of scripted singleplayer with no points deducted from the score but Homefront obviously didn't.

The complaints seem to really be that Homefront isn't well polished, does nothing new, and fails to live up to potential.

For me, I'd rather a shorter game than a padded game (obviously) but five is just too short. And it doesn't surprise me that, even before launch, THQ was talking about moving Kaos to a larger studio. Aside from the costs of NYC and difficulty of finding talent, it seems like Kaos needs some help. They've got good ideas but just can't pull everything together, if even just in amount of content. Put them in Montreal as part of a much larger studio and you can pull people off of a just-completing project and staff them temporarily with Kaos to increase/polish content.

Yes but pretty much every review has made a huge deal about it being 5 hours long, though they never complain about that with Call of Duty.

23. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 08:57 SpectralMeat

Mcboinkens wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 00:02:
Anyone try the multiplayer yet? A couple of friends and I were debating if it was worth trying. If someone could compare the style to other current games that would be appreciated.

I've been playing the MP pretty much exclusively because I do not have much interest in the SP.

The MP is kind of mediocre. It is sort of a mix bag between CoD and Bad Company however it is a little rough around the edges. The graphics look dated, physics of vehicles are pretty much none existent and the sound effects are pretty weak compared to BC.
It is still fun to play it though if you are more interested in gameplay and not much graphics/sounds/physics. Most games I've played online were fun but I did join into some games where there were a few apachies and 2-3 tanks were camping the spawn point.

The cockpit view in vehicles are annoying imo. The controls needs some tweaking, reassigning buttons and stuff, I was getting on screen messages of "press button 3 to ascend" the fuck is button 3? I am still tweaking the mouse controls, because it feels choppy. Just for shits and giggles I've plugged in my wired xbox controller to see if the vehicle controls are any better and the whole control feels much more fine tuned with the xbox controller then with the joystick.

So all in all the whole experience is kind of mediocre. The game tries to be BC2 and CoD at the same time but fails to surpass either of those games in the MP department. I don't regret buying it for $40 but if I had a chance to try the demo before I bought it I probably would have skipped this game and went back to play BC2 instead.

22. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 08:43 Luther

I'll get it when the price goes down on Steam. Am I right in my belief that the people behind this were also behind the excellent Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942? If that's true then I'm going to get it just so that I can give them some money for something.
The brutality looks harsh but it looks like they are trying to convey the tragedy and horror of war in a manner than the intended audience will have no problem empathizing with.

21. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 07:50 Beamer

I don't know why CoD games get away with 5 hours of scripted singleplayer with no points deducted from the score but Homefront obviously didn't.

The complaints seem to really be that Homefront isn't well polished, does nothing new, and fails to live up to potential.

For me, I'd rather a shorter game than a padded game (obviously) but five is just too short. And it doesn't surprise me that, even before launch, THQ was talking about moving Kaos to a larger studio. Aside from the costs of NYC and difficulty of finding talent, it seems like Kaos needs some help. They've got good ideas but just can't pull everything together, if even just in amount of content. Put them in Montreal as part of a much larger studio and you can pull people off of a just-completing project and staff them temporarily with Kaos to increase/polish content.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 07:46 Beamer

What an utterly stupid question. I simply tend to question more than most. I'm a firm believer of the old adage, 'don't belief half of what you read and none of what you hear.' On the other hand people like you were a favourite of men like P.T. Barnum.

"Question?" You called a PR bullshit, that isn't "questioning."

And all they said is that they're pretty well anticipated and pretty massively pre-ordered game had decent but not mind-blowing first day sales.

This is what you called bullshit on. I think if you polled most people on this site and asked them how many first day sales this game would have most would probably have come up with "a couple hundred thousand," which ends up right on the money, and you don't "question" this but call it an out-right lie.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Homefront Sells 375K in One Day Mar 17, 2011, 07:07 StingingVelvet

I do get enjoyment out of the faux-military scripted shooters, I cannot lie, but a b-list one like this is not worth $50 on day one for 5 hours of singleplayer.

From what I have heard most people are buying it for the multiplayer though, which all those 70-ish reviews actually praise if you read them. I don't know why CoD games get away with 5 hours of scripted singleplayer with no points deducted from the score but Homefront obviously didn't.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo