Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NPD Plans Monthly Digital Sales Reports

After coming under increased criticism that retail game sales reports do not accurately reflect the industry, the NPD Group reveals plans to begin including digital sales in its monthly reports in the future. NPD's Anita Frazier tells GameIndustry.biz (registration required) the group is investing in its online consumer panels so it can increase the frequency of its digital reports from quarterly to monthly, and these reports will include revenue from subscriptions, DLC, mobile, social, and rental businesses. "We are expanding the number of digital retailers we have relationships with in order to develop a digital POS (point of sale) service," said Frazier. "The goal is to provide our clients with a total POS games tracking service that incorporates the growing digital channel as well as the currently predominant physical format, and to deliver this at the same frequency as we currently do for new physical retail sales (monthly)."

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: NPD Plans Monthly Digital Sales Reports Mar 17, 2011, 06:40 osage no onna

"The goal is to provide our clients with a total POS games tracking service [...]"

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: NPD Plans Monthly Digital Sales Reports Mar 17, 2011, 03:57 Dev

Yeah I know, valve isn't about to reveal the numbers, and its the gorilla in the room. I doubt d2d will either, as I recall they don't release numbers either. Without the top players the digital numbers are pretty worthless. NPD really is only useful for trends (like whats the top selling of the month), and sometimes not even that. Heck, I trust the steam top selling list more than I do the NPD. Its weekly and while steam doesn't reveal numbers, I trust them to rank the top selling 10 accurately.  

2. Re: NPD Plans Monthly Digital Sales Reports Mar 17, 2011, 00:45 ldonyo

They'll provide a monthly report based on the digital sales data they're given, which won't be a lot since they aren't getting it now. None of the companies that do not provide digital sales data currently aren't going to change their minds about providing it now.  

1. Re: NPD Plans Monthly Digital Sales Reports Mar 16, 2011, 22:17 Cutter

And any of this can be validated how?  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo