Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 20, 2011, 18:30 avianflu

Funny I thought about mentioning Pet Sounds as an exception but that would have made the post too long. Now you take all of the _other_ Beach Boys albums and listen to those. Those albums stand out for all time because they are so filled with crud. I am not exaggerating.

Rolling Stones are the worst == they 100% exploited the album format right into the 1990's with tons of terrible tracks that everyone conveniently forgets. Made them very rich.

I do not lament the death of the full length album. It was a marketing ploy much more than an 'artistic opportunity' to explore a theme.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 17, 2011, 12:25 Bodolza

avianflu wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 09:29:
Take the Beach Boys albums for example. 2 hits and lots of terrible filler.

You couldn't have picked a worse example. Pet Sounds is one of the best albums off all times

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 17, 2011, 09:51 nin

Albums too often forced the consumer to buy lots of filler tracks that everyone knew werent that good.

Well, back in The Good Old Days, I'd like to think an album was based around a theme or sound, and the artist wanted it experienced as a whole, good or bad.

Today, an album is X number of singles and then, like you said, filler.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 17, 2011, 09:29 avianflu

True, though it has to be said "rock and roll" since the 1950's all the way to the time of audio CD's has largely consisted of hit singles on otherwise so-so albums. There are very notable exceptions like The Wall but those are the exceptions. Take the Beach Boys albums for example. 2 hits and lots of terrible filler. Likewise Rolling Stones. The Who. So, I dont mourn he loss of the 'full release' and 'full price' album. Albums too often forced the consumer to buy lots of filler tracks that everyone knew werent that good.  

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 16, 2011, 22:17 PropheT

I actually agree with the point Jon was making there, which was more that iTunes was responsible for the decay in artist creativity than the business (although the two are related, I suppose). If artists are only setting out to pump out hit singles rather than really creating albums we get music as it has been rather than some of the great stuff that came out in decades before; it's hard to believe that a complete album like Pink Floyd's "The Wall" would even exist if it was produced today.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo