Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up

Though the story of the Dragon Age II player who was unable to play his game when he was banned from the BioWare forums was fairly quickly resolved when the player's ban was lifted, an odd element of the original story remained. It was noted at the time that the EA Community Terms of Service were said to include the possibility that such a game ban was valid, explained like this: "EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC." Rock, Paper, Shotgun (thanks Joao) has a follow-up on this, reporting other incidents where players lost the ability to play their games as a result of T.O.S. violations on the forums, including a player claiming he was locked out of the PS3 edition of the game last weekend. We asked EA for definitive word on whether their policy meant players could be banned from a single-player game based on forum postings, and they repeated their explanation of this being due to a bug:

As noted last week, we have identified an error in our system which can suspend a user’s entire account when our terms of use policy has been violated. We are working to fix this and expect to have the issue resolved by the end of this week. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience -- it is not our policy to prevent customers from playing a single-player game. Any registered player who feels they have been banned inappropriately is urged to contact EA Customer Service at http://EA.com/support.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 19, 2011, 17:10 7.62WorldOrder

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:53:
7.62WorldOrder wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:10:
So I take it you would have no problem with, say, GM repossessing your car because you're being a dick on the road to other people? People behaving in ways you don't approve of is not legal grounds to steal their property. Give me a break.

Its called a drivers license. If you are a dick on the road, it will be taken away. Of course, that depends on how you define dick. If you're driving around flipping people off, that's one thing, but if you are causing accidents, then yes, you no longer should have the right to drive. You can own a car, but you sure as hell can't drive it.

That argument is a red herring. A driver's license is given by the government for access to public road infrastructure. That has nothing to do with whether the manufacturer of your car has the right to repossess what you own.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 17, 2011, 18:37 JoeNapalm

Erebus wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 20:19:
Darn it, I forgot to read through the whole thread to see what it was ok for me to say.

Well, based on the position you are supporting - that an individual should lose property rights for speaking out - maybe you SHOULD read and carefully consider what it is "okay" for you to say.

Please back up the statements of your running mouth by standing in the middle of Wal-Mart next time you're there (which I'm sure won't be more than 24 hours from now) and starting a 4-letter-word rant trashing the company and their employees, running down their products and services and doing so ad nauseum in a manner the other shoppers can't avoid. That's the kind of behaviour that most of these ban-clowns participate in, and I'm *perfelctly* comfortable with them losing their game privileges altogether.

1. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, as a personal choice. That said, I wouldn't imply that shopping there is somehow derogatory, as that would make me a self-important elitist prig, now wouldn't it?

2. Being kicked out a store for being disruptive is one thing - having them take back my purchased items before doing so? That would be a crime.

A git I may be, but I don't go around telling people what they can and can't think or call them names for expressing their opinion.

No, you want companies going around telling people what they can and can't think. That's MUCH better.

And if being called a "total git" for expressing an asinine opinion expressed without a moment of thought as to the repercussions of the position you choose to support is going to upset you, get under your skin, keep you up at night, or in any way impact your emotional well-being, may I suggest that you avoid posting on the interwebs?

I'm not trying to censor you - I'm just thinking that your skin might not be thick enough to endure the ridicule that even a well-considered, reasonable opinion would receive...let alone a bone-headed anti-consumer sheep opinion.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

43. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 17, 2011, 03:49 Prez

I came in here to say "bug my ASS!", since as Creston noted, it's in the actual forum terms of service that they themselves feel they reserve the right to do this very thing.

But what really strikes me are the ... um... let's just say "weird" posts actually defending an absolutely indefensible action. Can people really be this naive, this clueless? Or are we just seeing an abnormal surge in troll posts lately?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 21:32 Verno

A git I may be, but I don't go around telling people what they can and can't think or call them names for expressing their opinion.

No of course not, you just want to ostracize them Rolleyes

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

41. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 21:07 StingingVelvet

Darn it, I forgot to read through the whole thread to see what it was ok for me to say.

Please back up the statements of your running mouth by standing in the middle of Wal-Mart next time you're there (which I'm sure won't be more than 24 hours from now) and starting a 4-letter-word rant trashing the company and their employees, running down their products and services and doing so ad nauseum in a manner the other shoppers can't avoid. That's the kind of behaviour that most of these ban-clowns participate in, and I'm *perfelctly* comfortable with them losing their game privileges altogether.

Sooooo... the only rights you care about are the ones you personally use? As long as it doesn't effect you it's a-okay? How very... ignorant. I'm not saying that to make fun of you, I just really think that's the best word.

40. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 20:37 ASeven

Wrong analogy there, chump, or rather, idiot who don't mind being stripped of every single right you have.

Let me add something to that, first you purchase products on Walmart and then you run around like a retard within. I'm betting that what will happen is simply they will throw you out, ban you from the store but you'll keep possession of the products you bought.

Damn, too many shill retards here who love swallowing corporate semen. Waste of humanity when you find people who are so willing to lay down and be stepped upon and have their rights taken away. Quite sad really.

39. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 20:19 Erebus

Impressive.

Even after so many have clearly illustrated how the last guy to post this is a total idiot - there you are to pile on with your support.

You actually believe it is a good idea to let a company revoke someone's rights (in this case a game they paid money for) simply because they "criticize and run down the establishment and its employees"?

So, if I don't like a game, and say so, the company should be able to prevent me from playing it? Even though I paid for it?

What if I give it a bad rating on a user review site? Or a mediocre one? Or just fail support it with every fiber of my being?

For crissake, go buy 1984 and have someone read it to you, then explain why you're being a total git.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

38. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 20:13 Icewind

space captain wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 19:07:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 18:46:
The bottom line is you need a license to drive a car and that privilege can be taken away at any time. You certainly have the right to own a car, but unless you are licensed to drive it, you can't.

bullshit, its quite easy to drive without a license

there is a massive difference between physical law and man-made law

Comparing it to a Driver's license is a huge leap of (non)logic.

Sure, both are privileges, but with a Driver's License you can walk into the DMV and call the lady at the counter a C-word or a B-word and not have that license taken away. She might scratch you with her 3 inch razor sharp nails, but she can't take your license away.

The problem here is that someone is doing the *equivalent* of cursing out the DMV lady, and they are getting their "License revoked".

I could see having your privilege to play the game removed due to something like pirating the game or even hacking it to get achievements you didn't earn (Starcraft 2 did it!) but for just mouthing off in a forum?

That's why I have sockpuppets on every forum.

37. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 19:07 space captain

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 18:46:
The bottom line is you need a license to drive a car and that privilege can be taken away at any time. You certainly have the right to own a car, but unless you are licensed to drive it, you can't.

bullshit, its quite easy to drive without a license

there is a massive difference between physical law and man-made law

Go forth, and kill!

36. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 18:46 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 18:34:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 17:34:

You still need a license to drive a car, and if you misbehave when in your vehicle, they will take your license to drive away. You still own the car, but you can't legally drive it anywhere.

If only this was actually true. You need to be a complete and total retard to have your license taken away, in most places they practically let you get away with murder before doing that because it prevents most people from making an income.

I don't know where you live Verno, but I live in California, and they are pretty hardcore. Driving on a suspended license will get your car impounded for 30 days automatically, and you know how easy it is to get your license suspended? Its as easy as not paying a parking ticket. DUI's are an automatic 6 months no license, and there are plenty of people in CA getting busted for DUI. And all that includes not being able to drive to work.

Regardless, the laws exist, whether they are enforced or not, so your car analogy is still a fail. The bottom line is you need a license to drive a car and that privilege can be taken away at any time. You certainly have the right to own a car, but unless you are licensed to drive it, you can't. Hell, someone could buy a car at the age of 12, but no one would even give them a license to drive it.

35. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 18:35 derelict koan

Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 12:56:
So how is it mentioned in their Terms of Service as being possible, then at the same time being explained as an error in their system?

It's either one or the other. Unless they're saying that you can lose access to MP games, rather than SP?

Creston

Aye I'm with you, what the hell is that convoluted pile of Lindsey Naegle he spewed when asked for a definitive word?

Try "Yes" or "No" next time chief.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

34. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 18:34 Verno

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 17:34:

You still need a license to drive a car, and if you misbehave when in your vehicle, they will take your license to drive away. You still own the car, but you can't legally drive it anywhere.

If only this was actually true. You need to be a complete and total retard to have your license taken away, in most places they practically let you get away with murder before doing that because it prevents most people from making an income.

33. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 17:34 Dirwulf

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 17:22:
Erebus wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:16:
While it's amusing to see the publishers running scared over this issue and un-banning left and right, as fas as I'm concerned one of the biggest problems with internet gaming is people feeling they can act like a horse's ass with no repercussions.

Name one "real life" business where you can stand in the middle of the store, act like a jackass, criticize and run down the establishment and its employees, and literally cause damage to the business with no repercussions. With the exception of a WWE wrestlish match or the Republican National Convention, I can't think of too many.

Ban 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

Well obviously you've never had a job in your life because that happens everywhere all the time. It boggles the mind that some of you just don't seem to fully grasp the situation here and/or really enjoy being a victim of a greedy corporation. I can only assume it's like some sort of Stockholm syndrome you have with these corporations. Seek professional help.

No one has a problem with EA banning the guy from the respective forum. The guy even said himself that he went overboard and deserved a temporary ban. Banning him from enjoying the game he purchased is something else entirely. As others pointed out it's like your car's manufacturer not allowing you to drive it after you've paid for it. I don't see how that we can make any more clear what's wrong with that.

32. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 17:22 Cutter

While it's amusing to see the publishers running scared over this issue and un-banning left and right, as fas as I'm concerned one of the biggest problems with internet gaming is people feeling they can act like a horse's ass with no repercussions.

Name one "real life" business where you can stand in the middle of the store, act like a jackass, criticize and run down the establishment and its employees, and literally cause damage to the business with no repercussions. With the exception of a WWE wrestlish match or the Republican National Convention, I can't think of too many.

Well obviously you've never had a job in your life because that happens everywhere all the time. It boggles the mind that some of you just don't seem to fully grasp the situation here and/or really enjoy being a victim of a greedy corporation. I can only assume it's like some sort of Stockholm syndrome you have with these corporations. Seek professional help.

No one has a problem with EA banning the guy from the respective forum. The guy even said himself that he went overboard and deserved a temporary ban. Banning him from enjoying the game he purchased is something else entirely. As others pointed out it's like your car's manufacturer not allowing you to drive it after you've paid for it. I don't see how that we can make any more clear what's wrong with that.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 17:07 nin

as fas as I'm concerned one of the biggest problems with internet gaming is people feeling they can act like a horse's ass with no repercussions.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 17:00 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:29:
I don't know what kind of world you inhabit but I see people being assholes in stores all the time without repercussions. Seriously where are you? People will want to move there. To name a few - Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Any Grocery Store, stores that sell lottery tickets to old people and so on. Contrary to what you may think, people don't need anonymity to be dipshits.

I was a manager at a Blockbuster many years ago. I had a customer who parked in the handicapped spot in front of the store. He was very not handicapped. I told him to leave the store, I would not help him, and he was not welcome to come back. As a store manager/owner/whatever, you certainly have the right to refuse service to anyone who is acting in a manner with which you don't agree.

Aseven will disagree, but when you "buy" a game, you are buying a license to use the intellectual property that someone else owns. If they set out certain rules, and you violate those rules, they have the right to revoke the license.

Of course, in this case, EA won't enforce it because of all the bad press one would get for banning someone from playing a single player game.

29. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 16:53 Dirwulf

7.62WorldOrder wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:10:
So I take it you would have no problem with, say, GM repossessing your car because you're being a dick on the road to other people? People behaving in ways you don't approve of is not legal grounds to steal their property. Give me a break.

Its called a drivers license. If you are a dick on the road, it will be taken away. Of course, that depends on how you define dick. If you're driving around flipping people off, that's one thing, but if you are causing accidents, then yes, you no longer should have the right to drive. You can own a car, but you sure as hell can't drive it.

28. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 16:32 JoeNapalm

Impressive.

Even after so many have clearly illustrated how the last guy to post this is a total idiot - there you are to pile on with your support.

You actually believe it is a good idea to let a company revoke someone's rights (in this case a game they paid money for) simply because they "criticize and run down the establishment and its employees"?

So, if I don't like a game, and say so, the company should be able to prevent me from playing it? Even though I paid for it?

What if I give it a bad rating on a user review site? Or a mediocre one? Or just fail support it with every fiber of my being?

For crissake, go buy 1984 and have someone read it to you, then explain why you're being a total git.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

27. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 16:29 Verno

I don't know what kind of world you inhabit but I see people being assholes in stores all the time without repercussions. Seriously where are you? People will want to move there. To name a few - Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Any Grocery Store, stores that sell lottery tickets to old people and so on. Contrary to what you may think, people don't need anonymity to be dipshits.  

26. Re: More Dragon Age II Ban Follow-up Mar 16, 2011, 16:16 Erebus

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo