Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"In PC days people were used to swapping out video cards, putting in their own memory, formatting your own harddrive... you were kind of your own tech support so the idea of having an unfinished product to play with and be involved with it was exciting. But when you move to the black box of the console it was sealed, and if you opened it you voided the warranty and so it was much more hands-off," says Gears of War 3 producer Rod Fergusson on the topic of beta testing. "The idea of a console beta that's an unfinished product is really foreign to that audience and so their expectation is that this is representative of the quality of the game and they have to judge it on this. It's really hard to do betas then because you have to make it so polished and so far along that it's hard to get the feedback you want."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 23:43 xXBatmanXx

Sooo....he is just reinforcing what we already know.
Console only people are morons.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 19:02 Grokk

I'm gonna go with the "If you want the game beta tested, then pay the testers to do it as a job."

That way you can require them to fill in the feedback, and they would be well aware of the fact that it is not a finished product.

Companies nowadays are using public beta's as the demo. They know it and we know it, so it's fair to say that it should be a near finished product. If they happen to lose sales from this process then they can only blame themselves for releasing to the public a shitty lump of game.

Maybe they can cut back on the pre release hype a little and spend some more time making better games.

15. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 16:55 space captain

Rockn-Roll wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 15:16:
I'm sure if they paid the Beta testers they wouldn't expect a finished product. I worked as a game tester for Nintendo before and some of the testers had never played a video game before, and many of them that had were losers. If gaming companies really wanted to test their product then they would hire good players with proven experience...with the economy what it is today there's a whole lot of experienced players that would appreciate a job even if it's just minimum wage.

beta testing is not nearly the same as a QA job, which is hellish and absolutely requires pay

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 15:16 Rockn-Roll

I'm sure if they paid the Beta testers they wouldn't expect a finished product. I worked as a game tester for Nintendo before and some of the testers had never played a video game before, and many of them that had were losers. If gaming companies really wanted to test their product then they would hire good players with proven experience...with the economy what it is today there's a whole lot of experienced players that would appreciate a job even if it's just minimum wage.  

Let's Rock!

13. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 14:53 ASJD

How about not selling betas as a product, then.  

12. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 14:46 The Half Elf

When the hell has their ever been a 'real' console beta? Wasn't it Microsoft that started the idea 'Hey if you buy this crappy game, we'll throw in the "beta" for our new awesome came that you really want to play!'?

And when was the last time Epic had any sorta game on the PC, let alone Beta?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 14:26 Dirwulf

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 11:13:
How much worse can it really be than for the PC?

For the PC you tend to get, and I'm obviously making gross estimates, here, 1% people that give valid feedback, 10% people that constant gripe about things far outside the scope of the test, and 89% of people just there to play the game. This is why many beta tests are just done as stress tests, compatibility tests and balance tests - the types of things that can be determined without getting any feedback at all. All the extra stuff you get is just gravy.

I got in the Beta test of Old Republic. They did something I haven't seen in a Beta test before, although others said they had. After every single mission, a feed back screen popped up asking you to fill out a survey about that mission. I thought that was a great idea, not that you were forced to fill it out or anything. But having that come up on the screen I'm sure gave them a lot more feedback than hoping someone might post something on a forum or send in an email.

10. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 13:02 Lit_Reflex001

They shouldn't be beta testing on consoles anyway.

Stupid console gamers... expecting a finished product out of what's **SUPPOSED** TO BE A BUGGY, CRASHING, INCOMPLETE, FRUSTRATING PIECE OF CODE.

Hahahahahahaha!

9. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 11:48 Steele Johnson

InBlack wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 11:06:
Im sorry but I really dont get the second part of that quote. Unless pointing out the obvious is the point. Which in itself is very telling.

He's basically saying that for a pc game, you can give the beta testers shit code, but for console games, it needs to be less shitty before you can start the beta.

8. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 11:29 StingingVelvet

I know a fuck-ton of PC gamers who treat betas like demos, it's nothing new for Xbox.  

7. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 11:26 SpectralMeat

the_culture wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 11:07:
The idea of a console beta that's an unfinished product is really foreign to that audience

The audience for consoles generally are younger and more immature, thus are probably less likely to give quality feedback. However, this is the direction Epic has chosen to go, so you really can't complain. The money may be there but so are the knuckleheads.

That isn't exactly true. I can't remember where but I read it a while back that an Xbox Live survey was done and the average age on Xbox Live is something like 36.

Sure there are a lot of morons on there but not necessarily mean they are all young, it is quiet the opposite actually. At least according to that article. If I can find it I will post up the link here, but it's been a while since I saw that.

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 11:13 Beamer

How much worse can it really be than for the PC?

For the PC you tend to get, and I'm obviously making gross estimates, here, 1% people that give valid feedback, 10% people that constant gripe about things far outside the scope of the test, and 89% of people just there to play the game. This is why many beta tests are just done as stress tests, compatibility tests and balance tests - the types of things that can be determined without getting any feedback at all. All the extra stuff you get is just gravy.

The real issue would be console fans being too stupid to realize that, or so I'd assume. Not that they'd give poor feedback, but that they'd make assumptions on how the final game will be based upon the network issues and balance issues that are present in the beta.

I had largely assumed this beta was testing their new dedicated servers than anything else. And building hype. Lots and lots and lots and lots of hype. I'll play, but my GoW multiplayer skills blow. I never got the hang of it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 11:07 the_culture

The idea of a console beta that's an unfinished product is really foreign to that audience

The audience for consoles generally are younger and more immature, thus are probably less likely to give quality feedback. However, this is the direction Epic has chosen to go, so you really can't complain. The money may be there but so are the knuckleheads.

4. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 11:06 InBlack

Im sorry but I really dont get the second part of that quote. Unless pointing out the obvious is the point. Which in itself is very telling.  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 10:51 Verno

He's just pointing out the differences in audiences, sheesh.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

2. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 10:41 nin

"It's really hard to do betas then because you have to make it so polished and so far along that it's hard to get the feedback you want."

Awww, poor Epic. You opening a beta on a console and now you're surprised at the quality of feedback you get? Really?!?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 10:39 InBlack

ergo....console games suck balls because they dont get to be beta tested before release??  

I have a nifty blue line!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo