Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Prey 2 Details?

Kotaku has a rumor of some of the details of the storyline in Prey 2, Human Head's just-announced first-person shooter sequel. They say "a source close to the game" tells them: "players will take on the role of a federal air marshal who is aboard the commercial airliner seen crashing in the spaceship early on in the original game. Prey 2 takes place during the same time frame as the original, but with this different perspective." They offer further unconfirmed details, calling the game an open-world shooter where the player ends up a bounty hunter on "a seedy alien planet that sounds a bit like the future Earth of Blade Runner."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 23:38 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 00:19:
He was a relatively unique protagonist, not only in personality but also in the fact that he was Native American. Now he's being replaced with a generic white guy.

Damn, I was hoping for some other underrepresented minority game hero.

Not trying to be funny either, it would have been neat to do something outside the box again. Though they probably wouldn't be able to get away with any cultural super powers like they did with Native Americans (spirit/eagle stuff).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 06:48 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 00:19:
I don't understand why they replaced Tommy from the first game. He was a relatively unique protagonist, not only in personality but also in the fact that he was Native American. Now he's being replaced with a generic white guy. Prey's ending left the story wide open for Tommy so it's dumb to just drop him completely. I guess they were afraid that a Native American protagonist wouldn't sell as well.

True, my interest in the sequel has dropped quite a bit because of this. Although if they could get Chuck Norris to voice the character that would be all kinds of awesome!

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 06:27 Kristian Joensen

Razumen wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 23:14:
Rockn-Roll wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 23:01:
Prey was unique but tasted bitter because it they should have been working on Duke Nukem Forever. They should have waited until DNF was released before announcing this...it feels like there's 12 year old salt in my wounds.

An Air Martial? What are we going to do...bust someone for smoking on the plane? Why can't we be someone more dangerous like an accountant or attorney?

3D Realms weren't involved in the development of Prey (at least not in the product that was actually released) and neither are they with this one. I don't even think they owned the IP anymore after the first.

Or a Internet commenter? :p

That is wrong, 3D Realms was very much involved with Prey's development(yes the version that shipped) and initially(before being transferred over to Radar Group and later ZeniMax) Prey 2 as well. This is from an interview with Scott Miller from 2007:

Scott: When we act as a producer, we often contribute significant funding to a project, which allows it to reach a point where it is much easier to pitch to publishers. We also provide design guidance, marketing guidance (for example, I was a prime mover on all marketing for Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne, and Prey, leading the design of the retail boxes, game ads, picking the screen shots, writing all of the marketing text, etc.), and at the end, we are deeply involved with play-testing and polishing. Itís quite a lot of work, but then, itís also really fun.

A calm moment in Prey...
Prey was well received by press and gamers alike, so just how much input did 3D Realms have in its development?

Scott: All of the above! Big money. The overall concept came from me, and was then co-shaped by Human Head and me together. I brought in all three of the external writers and worked closely with them, and Human Head, to lay-out the story and characters. Human Head and I worked on all of the key gameplay ideas, some coming from me (death walk, spirit walk, Talon) and some from Human Head (gravity and wall walking). And many from 3DR were involved with the gameís play-testing. It really is a big collaboration.

More info can be found here: http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php?p=839116&postcount=4

14. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 05:04 vermin

Yeah, Humanhead's Prey was in development from 2001. Still a pretty long dev cycle. 3DR's own Prey was in different states of development from 1995 to 1999, it had a proper team working on it from 1996 to 1998.  

13. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 04:33 Jerykk

Prey wasn't actually in development for 11 years. I'm pretty sure the original version of the game never even made it past the prototype phase before getting shelved. Years later, 3DRealms or 2K decided they wanted to actually make the game and gave the contract to Human Head Studios. It's also possible that Human Head had pitched their own game and 2K only agreed to publish it if it used the Prey IP.

In any case, Prey was not in development for 11 years.

On a side note, you're pretty quick to dismiss a game you know nothing about. You may not have enjoyed the first Prey but given the sequel's development cycle and the new protagonist, it's safe to assume that they're making some pretty drastic changes to the sequel. Wait until you actually have some meaningful information about it before boycotting it.

12. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 04:20 Agent.X7

11 years to publish the first, which wasn't all that good (Especially with an 11 year development cycle). Now 5 more years pass before the sequel to a game that nobody really gave a shit about to begin with. Let me know how that turns out, yeah? I won't be spending my money on it. (Or DNF, which is also going to suck.)  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 00:35 zirik

this is a head scratcher because the story of a native american coming to terms with the mystical powers of his ancestors in order to fight an alien invasion was interesting. i wish they would continue that story line. it was left open at the end of the game. but they can also get rid of the wall climbing. that gave me motion sickness.  

10. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 00:19 Jerykk

I don't understand why they replaced Tommy from the first game. He was a relatively unique protagonist, not only in personality but also in the fact that he was Native American. Now he's being replaced with a generic white guy. Prey's ending left the story wide open for Tommy so it's dumb to just drop him completely. I guess they were afraid that a Native American protagonist wouldn't sell as well.  

9. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 16, 2011, 00:13 Ravenus

Icewind wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 21:46:
Yeah, the first Prey was soooooo amazing, right?

I loved how it was totally impossible to lose because you resurrected after an arcade-style bow and arrow mini game.
You could always choose not to use that and instead make use of the game's WORKING save/load system. And like Jeff Green's CGW review of the game said, "If you're so good, you wouldn't die in the first place."
What bugged me more was the game's so-called dynamic difficulty system...which seemed to have a very low cap and absolutely no effect on enemy AI, which didn't even use basic techniques like strafing/flanking. If they worked more on that, this will be a tremendously improved game. Also, better use of portals and gravity tricks - they seemed to completely ignore those for the major battles in the first game.
And more of that terrific Art Bell humor (or even something else, I find a lot of current games short on the laughs department) and keep up the tradition of a wisecracking protagonist. Gordon Freeman clones are so passe.

8. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 23:58 tony

This was the worst aspect of the game. But, in it's defense, it had excellent level design and was generally a very fun game.  

7. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 23:48 Trainwreck

Prey was unique but tasted bitter because it they should have been working on Duke Nukem Forever. They should have waited until DNF was released before announcing this...it feels like there's 12 year old salt in my wounds.

An Air Martial? What are we going to do...bust someone for smoking on the plane? Why can't we be someone more dangerous like an accountant or attorney?

Right, because accountants and attorneys are agents who carry concealed weapons, trained in counter-terrorism measures, and are experts in close quarters hand-to-hand combat?

6. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 23:14 Razumen

3D Realms weren't involved in the development of Prey (at least not in the product that was actually released) and neither are they with this one. I don't even think they owned the IP anymore after the first.

Or a Internet commenter? :p

5. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 23:01 Rockn-Roll

Let's Rock!

4. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 21:46 Icewind

Yeah, the first Prey was soooooo amazing, right?

I loved how it was totally impossible to lose because you resurrected after an arcade-style bow and arrow mini game.

3. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 20:53 vermin

Live action announcement trailer here, http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51782/Prey-2-Debut-Trailer---Exclusive-Premiere/  

2. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 20:30 Elf Shot The Food

Adrian Shepherd changed jobs again?  

1. Re: Prey 2 Details? Mar 15, 2011, 20:16 StingingVelvet

It actually sounds rather awesome.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo