Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5

The announcement of Prey 2 from yesterday stated Human Head's upcoming first-person shooter sequel "is being built on the cutting edge id tech engine from id Software," which lead to our presumption that this referred to the Tech 5 engine that will power RAGE and DOOM 4. This turns out not to be the case. There's a footnote updating IGN's story about the announcement, where they correct their own Tech 5 assumption, as it turns out the game will use a slightly less cutting edge prior version of the engine. They quote Bethesda Softworks' Pete Hines on the topic: "This game has been in development for quite a while and id Tech 5 is still in progress (until Rage ships, and probably even after). So it really wasn't an option." Thanks VG247.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 16, 2011, 05:51 theyarecomingforyou

Anonymous wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 21:30:
Uh... The original Half-Life ran on a heavily modified Quake 2 engine... And Source is built from scratch.
Wrong. Half-Life was based on a modified version of the original Quake engine; it contained only a few lines of Quake II code. And Source still contains parts of the original Quake engine code. Learn your shit before trying to 'correct' other people.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 16, 2011, 05:38 theyarecomingforyou

Brink looks stunning and it's using idTech4. Meanwhile, the latest videos I've seen of Rage haven't impressed me. My biggest concern with Prey 2 is the direction in which they take the gameplay.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

21. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 16, 2011, 00:28 Jerykk

bigspender wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:31:
if Brink can use id tech5, then so can Prey2. load of rubbish excuses.

Brink is using a modified version of id tech 4, not tech 5.

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showpost.php?p=191939&postcount=13

20. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 21:30 Lit_Reflex001

"Valve's Source engine is based off the Quake1 engine. aka engines do not mean anything."

Uh... The original Half-Life ran on a heavily modified Quake 2 engine... And Source is built from scratch.

19. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 18:47 DG

MajorD wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 13:32:

I can't believe how much mileage they got out of idTech3, and it is hard to believe it is the same engine Q3A used, although HEAVILY modified. Amazing.......

Q3 engine was literally brilliant in it's day, and scaled very well. It certainly helped that id kept upgrading it, there was kind of a cycle of more people licensing it leading to more development leading to more people buying it... TBH I think I have some belief that Carmack lost his lead over everybody else simply because DirectX sprinted on ahead of OpenGL, and it's another step removed from the metal so to speak. How much can you innovate in a controlled environment?

18. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 18:34 Ginny

Im in with the out crowd.

Disapointing that there's no 5 on this, but t4 was as solid as they come from how well it played.

Quake4 and Prey played great, the heavy weighted feel of tech4 allways trumps the light plastic ut3, and id's previous floaty tech3 in my eyes.

Fingers crossed that when 5 shows out with rage, it retains the weighty solid feel of t4.

17. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 18:31 bigspender

if Brink can use id tech5, then so can Prey2. load of rubbish excuses.  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

16. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 16:55 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 13:30:
It worked very well for Prey, Quake 4, Wolfenstein and games like that... solid and fun shooters.

I honestly didn't enjoy any of those games.

Well, opinions are like assholes and all that. I love a good, basic shooter that is more fun than innovative or scripted. Quake 4 and Prey both offered old-school fun and Wolfenstein was not far behind. I would even say Wolfenstein was one of my favorite shooters in the last couple years... very polished, very fun throughout. Much better than scripted stuff like Call of Duty.

15. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 15:13 tacospice

Yeah and C# 4.0 is based off of C.
not exactly in the same way.. at all

14. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 14:55 Sepharo

Razorclaw wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 13:20:
Valve's Source engine is based off the Quake1 engine.

Yeah and C# 4.0 is based off of C.

13. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 14:42 Ratty

Rosco wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 11:13:
Cool with me, as long as it is fun to play I'd be fine if it was built using the Quake III engine.
Well said. It was the obsession with the absolute latest cutting edge tech that killed Daikatana and DNF. If they'd just stuck with the engine they'd started with things may have turned out different.

12. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 13:51 Beamer

Yeah, around the turn of the millennium everything was id tech 3. And it just kept going.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 13:32 MajorD

Razorclaw wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 13:20:
MajorD wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 11:33:
And same engine Quake 4, Wolfenstein (2009), and COD: MW, W@W, MW2, and BO used; although, HEAVILY modified for CODs.

Call of Duty engine is based off Quake3 engine. aka idtech3.

Valve's Source engine is based off the Quake1 engine. aka engines do not mean anything.

Especially since they've been working on Prey 2 for this long. It doesn't really matter what engine it was based on down there past all the stuff they've written themselves. The fascination with what engine games are running on and technology is based off is a bit ridiculous. Engine makers aren't the only ones able to advance their technology.

Ooops, I lost track of the idTech engines, and I stand corrected! You are absolutely right! You liked hearing that didn't you? Okay, one more time: You were right, I was wrong, you couldn't have been anymore right, and I couldn't have been anymore wrong!!

I can't believe how much mileage they got out of idTech3, and it is hard to believe it is the same engine Q3A used, although HEAVILY modified. Amazing.......

10. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 13:30 Beamer

It worked very well for Prey, Quake 4, Wolfenstein and games like that... solid and fun shooters.

I honestly didn't enjoy any of those games.

My only complaint about id tech 4 was that it was ahead of its time, so to speak. Carmack's joy at the time was lighting, and id tech 4 had lighting far more advanced than anything else out there. Too advanced, I thought. At least it appeared so in Doom 3, where I got the impression corners were cut elsewhere in order to make the lighting and shadows work.

I'm guessing it likely aged well, though.

-------------

9. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 13:24 StingingVelvet

I liked id Tech 4 a lot... the bashing some people gave it never made sense to me. No, it was not as interactive as something like Source, but not every game needs that. It worked very well for Prey, Quake 4, Wolfenstein and games like that... solid and fun shooters.  

8. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 13:20 vermin

MajorD wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 11:33:
And same engine Quake 4, Wolfenstein (2009), and COD: MW, W@W, MW2, and BO used; although, HEAVILY modified for CODs.

Call of Duty engine is based off Quake3 engine. aka idtech3.

Valve's Source engine is based off the Quake1 engine. aka engines do not mean anything.

Especially since they've been working on Prey 2 for this long. It doesn't really matter what engine it was based on down there past all the stuff they've written themselves. The fascination with what engine games are running on and technology is based off is a bit ridiculous. Engine makers aren't the only ones able to advance their technology.

7. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 13:12 Beamer

Well, I mean, technically, until id tech 5 is released id tech 4 is the cutting edge id tech.

It's just no longer a cutting edge engine, haha.

-------------

6. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 12:50 Pigeon

'Cutting Edge graphics... yup, that's gonna be our excuse when it runs like crap on your new computer.'

I guess cutting edge tech engine from id, sounds better in a press release than 'heavily modified 7 year old id tech engine that our programmers have a lot of experience working with.'

5. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 11:40 InBlack

Funny shit. Prey was a decent game though.  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Prey 2 Not Using Tech 5 Mar 15, 2011, 11:33 SirKnight

They should use the Quake 1 engine. Old School software rendering FTW! It would be cheaper to license too.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo