Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Homefront

THQ announces that Homefront has invaded stores worldwide, offering Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 gamers the chance to play Kaos Studios' first-person shooter based on a near-future invasion of the U.S.A. by the Greater Korean Republic. The release is accompanied by this new trailer combining live action and gameplay footage showing the (hopefully) fictional future history that leads to a unified Korea, the invasion and occupation of the U.S., and the resistance that is the central theme of the game. "Homefront combines a unique, emotive single player campaign with an incredible online multiplayer experience," said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ. "Kaos Studios has created the definitive large scale warfare experience on console and PC, and innovations like Battle Points and Battle Commander offer a completely new twist on the genre, and make the game accessible and rewarding for newcomers and FPS veterans alike."

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 18, 2011, 23:06 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 08:41:
cs_siege and cs_facility for life Beamer

I was all about cs_estate or its predecessor cs_mansion.

Loved ringing that doorbell poppin in a window and tearing everyone up with MP5.

Remember when they added the apc to siege?

"All right everyone in the back of the apc!"
<promptly backs it up against a wall, everyone is stuck>

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 18, 2011, 11:34 Verno

Whatever happened to the AS maps too? as_oilrig was actually pretty fun. I don't know when all of the maps became de_* but its fucking boring.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 18, 2011, 09:09 Beamer

Hell, I even grew to love cs_desert, one of the worst maps ever made.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 18, 2011, 08:41 Verno

cs_siege and cs_facility for life Beamer  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 17, 2011, 18:36 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 07:39:
Even the sequel couldn't do it,

I still say CS:S feels more like the beta CSs I loved than CS 1.6 does.

I haven't played 1.6 (other than at friendly LAN tourny when an extra is needed) since Source came out.

Both games are just point and click on the head, I don't really see what all the fussing is about. I just play the newer one.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 17, 2011, 07:39 Beamer

Even the sequel couldn't do it,

I still say CS:S feels more like the beta CSs I loved than CS 1.6 does.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 17, 2011, 03:21 Sepharo

sc4r4b wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 01:42:
If I remember correctly the developers were the same guys who did the desert combat mod for BF, back when most FPS games were scifi and WWII.

Hadn't heard that. Makes me wish the game was like DC though. Stolen choppers flown by rebels sounds fun.

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 17, 2011, 01:42 sc4r4b

Niche may have been a wrong choice of words. That said the multiplayer style is what I was looking for. Reskin it in a scifi or WWII setting and I would still enjoy it.

If I remember correctly the developers were the same guys who did the desert combat mod for BF, back when most FPS games were scifi and WWII.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 16, 2011, 23:32 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 02:20:
Speaking of military online shooters, it's amazing how CS still dominates that market on the PC. Over 149k players today, after being released 10 years ago. How many people will still be playing CoD:BO or BF:BC2 in 10 years? Food for thought.

Yeah people like to talk about WoW killers, we've been waiting for CS killer for 11+ years. Even the sequel couldn't do it, there was period where it looked like it might (not on launch and not now but somewhere inbetween) but CS 1.6 has since taken a strong lead again.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 16, 2011, 23:17 Jerykk

I don't think pseudorealistic military shooters can really be considered a niche when they comprise 90% of the market.  

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 16, 2011, 13:09 sc4r4b

After 2 hours of multi-player I feel pretty good about this purchase. I have always been a big fan of CoD and BF games. I feel Homefront has a great combination of both.

The player, movement, weapon damage, knife, and perks are similar to CoD. While the open environments and vehicles are like BF.

Obviously this will be a niche FPS and to me thats fine because I wanted a game like this.

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 16, 2011, 13:04 ELITE

Prez wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 01:03:
Politeness on the internet WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!! Least of all on Bluesnews!!!! I am flagging your post as offensive and using my formidable clout(1) with Blue to push for your banning.

HEY SCREW YOU PREZ!!
Why don't you crawl back in the dirty stink'n hole you crawled out of!

Anyway, Nice avatar. Have a great week as well.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 16, 2011, 02:20 Jerykk

Bad Company 2: Peak Today - 7,664 not a Steam game but it's how old now and it beat Homefront player numbers.

I'm not really sure why publishers bother trying to compete in the multiplayer military shooter space. It's very clearly dominated by CoD and BF. It would make more sense to cater to a less competitive market, like sci-fi shooters and whatnot. Offer something genuinely unique and compelling, rather than derivative.

Speaking of military online shooters, it's amazing how CS still dominates that market on the PC. Over 149k players today, after being released 10 years ago. How many people will still be playing CoD:BO or BF:BC2 in 10 years? Food for thought.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 16, 2011, 01:03 Prez

ELITE wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 22:45:
Krovven

You have valid points - The discussion has been entertaining.

I don't think I'm going to put anymore energy into generating a counter to your counter to my counter - um..to counter (Was that too many counters?)

Final point really is to all others don't be an ignorant buyer (which on reflection - actually I think I was) read the forums - read the reviews - I think you'll find it to be more worthy of a bargain bin sale or perhaps not - but for me - it was not worth the funds.

As for you my friend Krovven - have a great week and enjoy your game.

Politeness on the internet WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!! Least of all on Bluesnews!!!! I am flagging your post as offensive and using my formidable clout(1) with Blue to push for your banning.

(1) Meaning "absolutely none at all"...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 16, 2011, 00:57 DangerDog

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 16:56:
Wow, THQ put so much behind this game and it's getting butchered by reviewers. I wonder what sales will be like.

It's a Steamworks game so you can anyone can monitor the popularity of the game through stat tracking.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Homefront: Peak today - 6,637

That doesn't look too good.

Bad Company 2: Peak Today - 7,664 not a Steam game but it's how old now and it beat Homefront player numbers.

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 15, 2011, 22:45 ELITE

Krovven

You have valid points - The discussion has been entertaining.

I don't think I'm going to put anymore energy into generating a counter to your counter to my counter - um..to counter (Was that too many counters?)

Final point really is to all others don't be an ignorant buyer (which on reflection - actually I think I was) read the forums - read the reviews - I think you'll find it to be more worthy of a bargain bin sale or perhaps not - but for me - it was not worth the funds.

As for you my friend Krovven - have a great week and enjoy your game.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 15, 2011, 21:32 Krovven

We spoke specifically of the dialogue being realistic, and now you are saying stuff about how the game doesn't draw you in. Going from talking specifics to a generalization.

re: Options for the gameplay tips - I feel as if you're justifying bad game design or at least old school design. This is all about presentation.

So pointing out there are options for the experienced gamer to turn off suddenly becomes about bad game design and presentation? The game provides detailed options in this area for all user levels, and you refer to this as bad game design? A seasoned PC gamer can't ask for anything better. The option is there to customize it to your liking and you dont even have to go into config files to do it.

Complaining - your response here is where you get overly defensive, to the point you argue semantics over me referring to one of your "issues" as a complaint....when I was agreeing with you!

If you didn't know the gameplay was going to be like CoD, and you find fault with that, then yes, it's an ignorant purchase. Even in previous threads about Homefront this has been talked about. I even responded stating some differences in the gameplay...particularly MP being on much larger maps than CoD, which was one of my largest complaints with CoD MP.

When I say sluggish i mean the feel of the game - it's not my machine - it's the design

K, you specifically said "controls", and again, you are now making a generalization saying it's the "feel of the game...it's the design".
Either the controls of the game are sluggish (un-responsive) or ...actually Im not sure what you are saying. The game isnt doing it for you, I get it. It's happened to me on many occasion. Dont argue specifics about what I said and then backtrack into generalizations when I disagree with you stating my mouse movement is clean and suggest there might be another issue.

I'm not trying to tell you are wrong. You responded to my post and then I've questioned some of your responses to that initial post, now you are getting all defensive about it. If you don't want to have a discussion and have someone counter your own arguments, then don't post disagreeing with someone in the first place. I'm not expecting everyone to like the game, just like millions of people play CoD games and I don't play them for various reasons that have been discussed in the past.

34. Re: The SP game is short! Mar 15, 2011, 19:56 Prez

Tumbler wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 12:27:
A word of warning: If you're getting it for the SP campaign, wait until it's on sale. I managed to finish the complete single player campaign in about five and a half hours.

Can we give this complaint a rest? I'm starting to feel like this is a smear campaign with how much I get reminded of this. How about talking about the content in those 5 hours. I'll take a bad ass 5 hour campaign over a half assed 10 hour campaign and this seems to be a reality of making these games. If you make a 10-15 hour campaign you likely designed a lot of levels where you do the same thing over and over again rather than designing new game play elements each time the player progress's.

They did emphasize their SP side of the game though so maybe I'm just being touchy since I'm excited to play the game. I though MoH's campaign was fun, I never felt ripped off playing through that. But I got the game for $3...and then traded it for another $60 game...so I guess I'm easy to please.

I think it's a fair complaint, yet the OP wasn't complaining, just giving a heads up. So, yes, you are being touchy. If anything needs a rest, in my view it's the "I'll take an super wicked sick awesome 5-minute campaign over a mediocre 6-month campaign..." defense. If you are marketing a $60 game for it's SP, as was the case for Homefront, it's fair game for criticism as far as I'm concerned. What might mitigate this somewhat is a high level of replayability, but I'm getting that it's fairly linear to boot. Not being a multiplayer gamer for the most part, I'm not willing to spend 60 bucks on it, so I for one appreciate the warning. I'll get it on a Steam sale.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 15, 2011, 19:55 nutshell42

It's been years since I last accused anyone of astroturfing but this "user" review on Metacritic takes the cake:

[i]lovegames Mar 15, 2011 10
Great, bold storyline. Eventhough the campign is short, I think it's just the right duration since multiplayer compensate the lifespan of the game. Hope THQ makes a sequel for it. Keep it coming![/i]

Really, a "bold" storyline? When was the last time you heard that outside of a press release?
And everything is just right. So right, that he registered a new account just to post this for all three versions. I could understand the last part if it was a fanboy, but no fanboy would limit his review to one short paragraphs when he could go for pages of effusive rambling.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Homefront Mar 15, 2011, 19:53 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:24:
Im not sure what you consider "realistic", but the dialogue is certainly better than the majority of the games out there. And referring it to "blockbuster movie style"...Blockbuster movies are NOT thought of for their dialogue. Linear storyline maps...yep, this was already known before the game shipped, but again not much different from the majority of other shooters out these days.

The dialogue sucked, sorry. The characters are your standard action-movie stereotypes (some spoilers):

- Connor, the renegade hothead, cussing up a storm and rushing headlong into battle and getting everyone else in trouble, sacrifices himself at the end in a "surprise" show of compassion

- Rianna, the one that gets all sentimental about friendly losses or killing enemies in inhumane ways because she's a woman, "I didn't sign up for this!"

- Boone, the tough but fair leader that cares about the flock of sheep he's protecting and takes the player under his wing, he dies in order to make you want revenge

- Hopper, the token mixed-race character that gets harassed by people on both sides because he's Korean-American, also the nerdy engineer fellow that no-one understands when he starts speaking in technical terms, avoids getting into combat because it's not his thing

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo