Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is Idus Martii, the Ides of March, which would probably be forgotten today were it not the occasion when Julius Caesar was assassinated. This was immortalized by William Shakespeare with the whole "beware the Ides of March" warning. This year in particular one can only hope that this doesn't apply, as there have been more than enough disasters leading up to the Ides, and the situation in Japan sounds worse with every news report. Here's hoping the omen works in reverse, and things start improving from here.

Ides of Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Carveola Incident.
Cops vs Supers.
Links: ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT. Thanks Neatorama.
An Open Letter to the Citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom.
How "Dungeons & Dragons" changed my life. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Snakes dies of silicone poisoning after biting woman's breast.
Two Dogs Defy the Wave. Thanks nin.
Newhall names Dr. Richard Frankenstein as chief medical officer. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: Volunteers 'vital to science data collection'. Thanks Acleacius.
Cyoot Puppeh ob teh Day.
M thru F: Nobody Notices Anyway.
Media: Conan Rips Nicolas Cage - Threat Level.
Kinect Self-Awareness Hack.
Cat Plays Dead.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: Movies Pulled After Japan Disaster.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2011, 06:03 xXBatmanXx

Rockn-Roll wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 11:05:
I could be wrong, but I believe the original usage of the phrase "Beware The Ides Of March" was by farmers to remember that even though the end of February signals the last threat of frost...there is still a chance for another storm until the end of March.

...I seem to recall hearing something similar growing up in South Dakota....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 16:57 Cutter

mag wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 13:19:
Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 12:55:
The supermoon will be here Saturday. I'm curious to see what kind of shit this may cause.

Dude, what the hell? This is the second time I've seen you mention it. You know when the last time the moon was that close was? 18 years ago. March 8, 1993. Nothing happened on March 8, 1993. The world was not pulled apart. There was no outbreak of earthquakes that killed millions of people. There were no hurricanes or tsunamis.

Well maybe the lead-up to this in Japan was pure coincidence, maybe not. The USGS does admit that the proximity of the moon does actually increase this sort of stuff, albeit only by a few percent. Still, we'll see what happens around the globe over the next week or two. Oh yeah, and if you google March 93 you'll see we had the Storm of the Century just a few days after that. I'm not expecting the world to come to an end but the lead-ups and post events centered around these things does have an effect. Shit, anyone who's sailed most of their life - like me - knows the effect the moon can have on the tides and such. Particularly at this time of year. So let's just see what we see, shall we?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 14:23 shul

I agree + plus he was not "playing dead", cats can't "play dead"  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 13:44 shul

Orit Fox is all silicon, the snake had no chance..

and I want to make it clear that most Israeli woman are not anywhere near her level of surgical enhancements - btw, they had a TV docu about her and she was pretty open about the whole thing. She wants people to like her...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 13:22 space captain

mag wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 13:19:
Dude, what the hell? This is the second time I've seen you mention it.

hes afraid the superwerewolves will come and get him

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 13:19 mag

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 12:55:
The supermoon will be here Saturday. I'm curious to see what kind of shit this may cause.

Dude, what the hell? This is the second time I've seen you mention it. You know when the last time the moon was that close was? 18 years ago. March 8, 1993. Nothing happened on March 8, 1993. The world was not pulled apart. There was no outbreak of earthquakes that killed millions of people. There were no hurricanes or tsunamis.

9. M thru F: Nobody Notices Anyway Mar 15, 2011, 13:19 Hyatus

Funny, but fake:
Snopes

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 12:55 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 12:54 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 10:09:
While I feel for the people of Japan Im pissed off that the mainstream media have somehow "forgotten" Libya for the most part.

Who is going to help the people of Libya?

No one gives a shit about the poor people facing tanks and aeroplanes with only knives and handguns. Who cares if Gaddafi murders half of his population and enslaves the other half. As long as the oil keeps a flowing, all is well in the eyes of the world's superpowers.

A sad day indeed.

Agreed. And particularly after Dubya's bullshit about Saddam had to go and it was really all for the benefit of the people of Iraq. And it says nothing of the fact that the US has always hated Gaddafi. Here's the perefect opportunity to get rid of the prick and they sit on their hands. Well, the Arabs have long memories and regardless of how it plays out the US is doing themselves more harm than good right now. Always this shit with winning the hearts and minds of people and when the opportunity presents itself, what do they do? Nothing. AND there's still shit going on all over the middle-east atm. You didn't hear a peep from the State department when the Saudis opened fire on all those protesters 2 weeks back. America is not a force for democracy.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 11:05 Rockn-Roll

I could be wrong, but I believe the original usage of the phrase "Beware The Ides Of March" was by farmers to remember that even though the end of February signals the last threat of frost...there is still a chance for another storm until the end of March.  

Let's Rock!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 11:02 nin

There's playing dead, and then there's letting something mess with your fangs. Some animals (like possums) might be able to pull off something like that, but I doubt a cat would be alright with it.

I had a cat that lived to be 17, and her last few years were sleeping about 23 hours of the day. I knew she didn't have long, and I tried to prepair myself.

So one day I come in, and she's sprawled out on her side, with her eyes open, seemingly passed. And I handled it better than I thought I might.

And then as I reach down to pet her fur - SHE TRILLS AND POPS HER HEAD UP. She'd fallen asleep with her eyes open! Scared the shit out of me.

And she lived a bit longer.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 10:54 kanniballl

I had a high school teacher that would supposedly give you bonus points on your test for wearing black (or all-black) on the Ides of March.

The "Cat Plays Dead" video looks like the cat is drugged to me. There's playing dead, and then there's letting something mess with your fangs. Some animals (like possums) might be able to pull off something like that, but I doubt a cat would be alright with it.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 10:13 nin

While I feel for the people of Japan Im pissed off that the mainstream media have somehow "forgotten" Libya for the most part.

I was thinking the same thing this morning...with everyone looking away Momaar seems to be making strides in sweeping it all under the rug.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 10:09 InBlack

Who is going to help the people of Libya?

No one gives a shit about the poor people facing tanks and aeroplanes with only knives and handguns. Who cares if Gaddafi murders half of his population and enslaves the other half. As long as the oil keeps a flowing, all is well in the eyes of the world's superpowers.

A sad day indeed.

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 09:46 nin

Snakes dies of silicone poisoning after biting woman's breast.

Saw that video on Friday. Holy shit. She'd just had the snake up to her mouth, so she's lucky it didn't bite her lip.

I'm not a fan of snakes (at ALL), but I still feel sorry for it. Preaching to the choir here, but animals need to be respected for what they are, and not as toys.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo