Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Not pleased with Daylight Saving Time this morning, as it was still pitch black when I got up. Blech. On the other hand, today is pi day, and who doesn't like π, or pie for that matter. Perhaps the proper way to celebrate would be to use pi to calculate the circumference of a pie at 1:59:26 today. Or maybe not.

R.I.P.: Joe Morello, Drummer with Dave Brubeck Quartet, Dies at 82.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Flood Runner 3: Armageddon.
Duplicator.
Crash the Robot.
Link: 33 Pi Gadgets, Designs and Desserts to help Celebrate Pi Day.
Story: Call to vaccinate against possible H2N2 flu pandemic.
Science: Study explains why soggy skin gets wrinkly but does not dissolve. Thanks Neatorama.
Why Surfing A Tsunami Wave Won't Work. Thanks Reddit.
Images: Many more than 3.14... pictures of cool Pi creations.
Robotech Snow Sculpture.
Terminator Dog Needs Loving Home.
Media: A Bear Film. NSFW.
Queen Mary Ocean Liner Made Out of Toothpicks.
Flynn Lives Of The Day.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: U.S. Nuclear Plants Have Same Risks as Japan Plants.
Japan's earthquake and tsunami explained.
New dramatic video: Tsunami wave spills over seawall. Thanks nin.
First-person Tsunami Video. Thanks The Flying Penguin.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 19:11  Xymph 

Blue wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 19:06:
He didn't spend time and effort programming that just to bust your balls.
No, right, of course not. Sneaky

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 02:26 Sepharo

Blue wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 19:06:
nin wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 17:51:

Oh god, it's Frans link-a-tron, I wonder how long I can make the link, perhaps even longer then the URL I was trying to link to, which in itself would be ironic. You know, the link about reactors. Yeah, that one. Linkity, link-link-link.

edit: Ha! Take that!

Not ironic at all. The link-a-tron prevents long links from busting the format of the boards here, but your paragraph can wrap because it has spaces in it, which URLs do not. He didn't spend time and effort programming that just to bust your balls.
In his defense he did link a very long link.

But yes you're right the text of it doesn't matter.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 19:06  Blue 

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 17:51:

Oh god, it's Frans link-a-tron, I wonder how long I can make the link, perhaps even longer then the URL I was trying to link to, which in itself would be ironic. You know, the link about reactors. Yeah, that one. Linkity, link-link-link.

edit: Ha! Take that!

Not ironic at all. The link-a-tron prevents long links from busting the format of the boards here, but your paragraph can wrap because it has spaces in it, which URLs do not. He didn't spend time and effort programming that just to bust your balls.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 18:59 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 18:55:
Nin as you get older aren't you suppose to get wiser? Dear god I'm gonna have to get the credit card magnifying device out of my wallet for that one!

Cheers to getting older

Are you kidding? When you're young, you think you know everything. The older you get, the more life confirms you don't know shit.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 18:55 The Half Elf

Nin as you get older aren't you suppose to get wiser? Dear god I'm gonna have to get the credit card magnifying device out of my wallet for that one!

Cheers to getting older

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:51 Prez

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 17:33:
So what about them pumping in sea water to cool the core and spent material? Several of the "experts" I've seen are calling this a last ditch desperation ploy and even if if does work the plant will be a write off afterward. They also mentioned that just like how lava can cool into a shell while the magma inside continues heating up the same thing can happen in the core leading to a meltdown regardless. It's still spooky shit.

Oh, it's almost a certainty that the affected plants will be unusable after this; the Japanese are some of the smartest engineers on earth, but there's only so much you can do after two consecutive disasters of 'biblical' proportions. but the fears of deaths, sickness, and an ecological disaster propagated by the media are way out of proportion relative to their likelihood, even after these unprecedented events.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:48 Zanthar

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 17:37:
Zanthar wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 16:26:
Notice how, even after all that massive devastation, the Japanese people do not riot and loot like the assholes in Louisiana did.

Much respect for the people of Japan... one of the few civilized countries left on this shit ball of a planet.

How quickly you forget. It was days before Dubya and his moron brigade even got FEMA under way. You're talking about a piss poor city to begin with that been flooded a lot more extensively and people stuck without any resources for days. They did what they had to. Yes, of course there were looters, and always will be, but most people were just looking for the essentials because their government had failed them. Put the Japanese into a similar circumstance and you'll see them behave the same way. It's entirely different when your survival is on the line.

Ya... nobody is poor in Japan, and all those designer clothes and big screen TV's were essential for survival in New Orleans. I remember now, thanks!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:45 Zanthar

Everyone needs to calm the hell down. Obama is back from his weekend golf outing now. He will get this Japan shit sorted out ASAP.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:44 Creston

Prez wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 17:32:
nin wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 17:25:
Actually, a CHernobyl in the Western world is an impossibility.

Respectfully Prez, nothing is impossible when it comes to humans, especially when it's bad news. We excel at doing really fucked up things.

Well, if you read the write-up on the TMI incident, you'll see that the operators basically fucked up at every juncture it was possible to fuck up, and the worst that happened is that residents closest to the plant got a radiation dose equivalent to a nasty sunburn.

I'll agree that nothing is idiot proof, but the damage that idiots can do can be mitigated through intelligent engineering.

That's very true, and fortunately we actually have REALLY SMART people engineering nuclear reactors. Rather than the trash we turn into our countries' leaders.

Okay, I'll rephrase my statement to saying that, instead of a Chernobyl style accident, ANY type of Catastrophic nuclear incident is highly unlikely in the western world. (barring outside interference.)

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:37 Cutter

Zanthar wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 16:26:
Notice how, even after all that massive devastation, the Japanese people do not riot and loot like the assholes in Louisiana did.

Much respect for the people of Japan... one of the few civilized countries left on this shit ball of a planet.

How quickly you forget. It was days before Dubya and his moron brigade even got FEMA under way. You're talking about a piss poor city to begin with that been flooded a lot more extensively and people stuck without any resources for days. They did what they had to. Yes, of course there were looters, and always will be, but most people were just looking for the essentials because their government had failed them. Put the Japanese into a similar circumstance and you'll see them behave the same way. It's entirely different when your survival is on the line.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:33 Cutter

So what about them pumping in sea water to cool the core and spent material? Several of the "experts" I've seen are calling this a last ditch desperation ploy and even if if does work the plant will be a write off afterward. They also mentioned that just like how lava can cool into a shell while the magma inside continues heating up the same thing can happen in the core leading to a meltdown regardless. It's still spooky shit.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:32 Prez

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 17:25:

Respectfully Prez, nothing is impossible when it comes to humans, especially when it's bad news. We excel at doing really fucked up things.

Well, if you read the write-up on the TMI incident, you'll see that the operators basically fucked up at every juncture it was possible to fuck up, and the worst that happened is that residents closest to the plant got a radiation dose equivalent to a nasty sunburn.

I'll agree that nothing is idiot proof, but the damage that idiots can do can be mitigated through intelligent engineering.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:25 nin

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:21 Prez

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 16:57:
Prez wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 16:46:
Simply put, a Chernobyl scenario in an American or Japanese nuclear facility is an impossibility.

I wouldn't go THAT far. Three Mile Island came pretty damn close, all things considered. (even if that was the only reactor in the US that ever even came near to having a catastrophic failure.)

But it is VERY unlikely we'd ever see another Chernobyl, especially in the Western world. I completely agree that the media is just making a fucking fool of itself with their "OMG THE NUKE REACTOR IN JAPAN IS GONNA BLOW WE ALL GONNA DIE!" horseshit.

Creston

Most people understand, even if only vaguely, that Reactors use 'control rods' inserted into the core to limit the amount of heat put off by the reactor (Which is a gross over-simplification but this isn't Nuke School ). But what most people don't know is that the choice of 'moderator' (the substance used in transferring heat from the core to the secondary system in which said heat is used to make steam) has profound affect on the reactor plant's inherent stability and safety. Russian nuke plants at the time of the disaster (iirc) used mostly graphite as a moderator to surround the core, while all US reactors, save for some (long decommissioned) early sodium reactors, use water with a high level of deuterium. The main difference, without getting overly technical, is that water-moderated reactors will tend to lose 'criticality' (the term for a self-sustaining heat-generating fission reaction in the core), meaning a higher temp results in a 'sub-critical' reactor, which left unchecked, will essentially shut itself down. Russian reactors at the time of the disaster had the ill-advised design feature of going "super-critical with a rise in temperature, meaning, left unchecked, they will explode!

Again, all of this is way over-simplified, but a big picture description of why a Chernobyl-like explosion is impossible. Consider: TMI's containment was intact after a meltdown and Chernobyl's was blasted around a 2 square mile radius even before the meltdown. I'm still skeptical of the actual nature of the explosions in the Japanese plants as described by our sensationalist and clueless media; I'll wait for the actual truth to come to light.

- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 17:01 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 16:59:

And for the record, I always thought "Deep Impact" could double as a pron title. That and "Bed Bath and Beyond".

I'm still baffled how Hollywood never made the oh-so-obvious sequel: DEEPER IMPACT!

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 16:59 nin

And for the record, I always thought "Deep Impact" could double as a pron title. That and "Bed Bath and Beyond".

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 16:58 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 16:56:
But yeah, people often expect the huge massive waves, like the ones in Deep Impact and 2012 (which were both horseshit. Waves that tall would never propagate, they'd collapse under their own mass. I especially liked how the waves in 2012 was "1500 meters high" and yet it crested the Himalayas.) but that's really not what they are.

We need something like MS3K, only with a couple of jaded gamers.

Hahahahaha.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 16:58 wrlwnd

Should be 1:59:27  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2011, 16:57 Creston

Prez wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 16:46:
Simply put, a Chernobyl scenario in an American or Japanese nuclear facility is an impossibility.

I wouldn't go THAT far. Three Mile Island came pretty damn close, all things considered. (even if that was the only reactor in the US that ever even came near to having a catastrophic failure.)

But it is VERY unlikely we'd ever see another Chernobyl, especially in the Western world. I completely agree that the media is just making a fucking fool of itself with their "OMG THE NUKE REACTOR IN JAPAN IS GONNA BLOW WE ALL GONNA DIE!" horseshit.

Creston

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo