Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer

Star Wars: The Old Republic Website now offers an in-game walkthrough of Taral V, a mid-level Republic Flashpoint in the upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. They are currently offering attendees at PAX East the chance to play through this mission, and this video and its developer commentary offer the rest of us the chance to share this experience. The clip is also available with German and French subtitles.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 23:15 Yifes

Tumbler wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:23:
Hmm, that gameplay reminds me a lot of Dragon Age. You get these nice cinematic missions cut scenes, you go off fighting with a group (hopefully) you massacre waves and waves of baddies...it's all very familiar and if this was a SP game I think I'd be very excited...

But it feels like they've taken the basic formula for DA and made it Co-Op and locked it behind a subscription plan. Clever plan really, take a game like Dragon Age, give it a subscription, profit.

The gameplay is just like any cookie cutter MMO, except for the pre mission cutscenes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 18:23 Tumbler

Hmm, that gameplay reminds me a lot of Dragon Age. You get these nice cinematic missions cut scenes, you go off fighting with a group (hopefully) you massacre waves and waves of baddies...it's all very familiar and if this was a SP game I think I'd be very excited...

But it feels like they've taken the basic formula for DA and made it Co-Op and locked it behind a subscription plan. Clever plan really, take a game like Dragon Age, give it a subscription, profit.

This has been under the "get into the beta" list for me and this doesn't change that. I'm curious to see the interior space ships and see how you can personalize them. I miss my yacht from SWG and my millennium falcon, and my stupid little house that I got to decorate. I miss finding an item I want, then having to travel to find it only to walk into a user created shop and see all the stuff he's got displayed in there and then pickup my item.

I wish they were going to put in more space combat, the best part of star wars for me was always the massive space battles...Wars up in the stars!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 13:03 nutshell42

I can't say that it makes me wanna play it. Dialogue and voice acting are somewhere between meh and cringe-worthy and combat looks utterly generic.

Too bad, at first I believed them when they said this would be KotOR3, but it looks more and more like WoW-clone-in-space #324.

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 12:42 wtf_man

I think only the Flashpoints (epic missions) are instanced. Possibly the "personal storyline" as well. However, I don't know for sure. Flashpoints seem to be "group only", sort of Like Guild Wars 1 missions without henchmen available.

Anyway... I was looking forward to this game because they were using the hero engine and going for "story based depth" in an MMO...

Then as more got revealed (Like Space on Rails)... I kind of thought it looked like ass and was going to suck...

Now it looks a bit better and I'm not sure what to think.

So, I'll just wait for the reviews (from fellow gamers). Guild Wars 2 is where my MMO focus is, at this point, though.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2011, 13:04.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 01:53 StingingVelvet

Looks like a singleplayer game... seriously if you had never read anything about it before wouldn't that trailer make you think it was a singleplayer game?

Because it's Bioware and Star Wars I will buy it and play it like a singleplayer game, despite the bullshit monthly fee they will want. I wouldn't do that for any other game though, really.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 00:33 Sempai

Am i the only one who noticed the constant hiccup's in the gameplay? I realize it's "Alpha" but you know they polished this for presentation.

I wonder what kind of hardware they are running this on? It looks ok, the animations still aren't there for me It seems stiff and slightly bland.

Something tells me this game is going to require serious hardware and it's still going to run like ass.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 00:19 heroin

Oh shit, I meant jr. RPG.

"Bioware has never made a JRPG in their life, they aren't Japanese"

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 00:18 Creston

Fion wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 22:56:
Lets compare this to 10 minutes of alpha gameplay in Guild Wars 2. This video is some of the PC gamer folks getting some game time in during GDC 2k11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRI_twOZ8hI&feature=player_embedded

You tell me which looks more fun. I'd say it's no contest. ToR looks fun to me but if these two games hit at the same time my choice of purchase is quite apparently not The Old Republic.

Ditto. That looks a ton more awesome than ToR, though I doubt they'll release at the same time. I hope not, anyways. GW2 deserves all the sales it can get, and ToR will still draw a lot of attention.

Creston

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 23:23 Ant

Drezden wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 22:10:
Ant wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 21:47:
It looks OK. I need a free sampler like a beta.

I'm going into SWTOR with more of the outlook that it's a 4 player Mass Effect at this point that I can plan with friends, and less of a traditional MMO. Which I'm strangely okay with, maybe it's just because I'm such a huge Star Wars fan and miss Galaxies and want something new, but I agree, I'd really like to see an open beta for this game soon to try it out... It'd be nice if Lucasarts would get off it's ass and make some great new Star Wars games, like I don't now, X Wing vs Tie Fighter 2.
Ditto, but I don't want them making a crappy XWvTF2.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 22:56 Fion

Lets compare this to 10 minutes of alpha gameplay in Guild Wars 2. This video is some of the PC gamer folks getting some game time in during GDC 2k11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRI_twOZ8hI&feature=player_embedded

You tell me which looks more fun. I'd say it's no contest. ToR looks fun to me but if these two games hit at the same time my choice of purchase is quite apparently not The Old Republic.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 22:43 Paranoid Jack

This and GW2 are the only two MMOs I'm even remotely interested in lately. RIFT felt too much like been there and done that so I canceled my pre-order. I'll try it out this summer most likely depending on other games of course.

I'm also hoping to get a beta invite sooner or later but I'm not holding out much hope in that happening. Most likely going to pick it up at launch but that depends on several factors. I already have two huge games that will require hundreds of hours of my time lined up for the holiday season... D3 and Skyrim... of course everything depends on release dates.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 22:29 Creston

Combat looks a lot like it did in KotOR, so that's pretty cool. Otoh, it's really just a bog-standard MMO, isn't it? Aggro, damage, healer. Instanced stuff. We've already seen all this a thousand times before.

I'm far more interested in Guild Wars 2, especially since it won't charge me 15 bucks a month for "Been There, Done That."

Creston

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 22:10 Trevellian

Ant wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 21:47:

I'm going into SWTOR with more of the outlook that it's a 4 player Mass Effect at this point that I can plan with friends, and less of a traditional MMO. Which I'm strangely okay with, maybe it's just because I'm such a huge Star Wars fan and miss Galaxies and want something new, but I agree, I'd really like to see an open beta for this game soon to try it out... It'd be nice if Lucasarts would get off it's ass and make some great new Star Wars games, like I don't now, X Wing vs Tie Fighter 2.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 21:47 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 21:39 Yifes

I wonder what differences dialog choices make. I'm guessing its all just a huge waste of time since the player doing the talking is chosen completely at random.  

12. No subject Mar 12, 2011, 21:04 AnointedSword

Ok, please tell me there is a skip button. Trying to put myself inside this game during this time. I want to go...like now...let us fight and bust some faces...skip...skip...skip... errrrr argggg

I was concerned about the animation early on. Looks like it looks a lot better. Nice vid.

Nice loot as well!:) Woot!

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2011, 21:16.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 21:03 Cutter

Wow that looks bad. Jedi pulling the big metals cylinders out of the ground to hurl at mobs in the middle of a forrest? Sigh. Nothing new to see here, move along.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 20:57 Fion

If it helps, with the instancing thing, the part of the game they have been showing off has a very large open map that you can go anywhere. Also there is no grouping in the traditional sense. If other players are nearby they are in your group by default and you share xp, etc on kills no matter what.

I think they have said that instances will be used for like dungeons but most of the game is 'open world'.

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 20:50 Trevellian

heroin wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 20:40:
It does look like WoW in space but with Bioware's tree dialog thing that they do. Bioware games are strange to me. I hate the blandness and fakeness of most of their games and combat in their games usually sucks though it was somewhat fun in ME2. I still buy their games and like them a lot until I'm done with them. And don't get me wrong, this game could end up being great.

My problem with Bioware is that they are the In-N-Out Burger of video games or at least "RPGs" or shall we call them JRPGs - ouch. That is they are unique and compelling at first & later on, just a cheeseburger with a little extra secret sauce that you found out was just mayo and mustard stirred together.

Bioware has never made a JRPG in their life, they aren't Japanese, and their games aren't turn based. Kind of a silly comment, and not sure what the Ouch is about. There are many great JRPG's, there just haven't been any since the 360 and PS3 came out because Japan decided western gamers want western RPG's and they fail at making them. They need to just go back to making what they're good at.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 20:40 heroin

It does look like WoW in space but with Bioware's tree dialog thing that they do. Bioware games are strange to me. I hate the blandness and fakeness of most of their games and combat in their games usually sucks though it was somewhat fun in ME2. I still buy their games and like them a lot until I'm done with them. And don't get me wrong, this game could end up being great.

My problem with Bioware is that they are the In-N-Out Burger of video games or at least "RPGs" or shall we call them JRPGs - ouch. That is they are unique and compelling at first & later on, just a cheeseburger with a little extra secret sauce that you found out was just mayo and mustard stirred together.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2011, 20:46.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo