Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website now offers Fate of the Galaxy, the PAX East trailer from the upcoming MMORPG. The clip features in-game footage, and here's the description: "Tension between the Republic and the Empire is running high. The uneasy truce established by the Treaty of Coruscant is quickly tearing apart at the seams, and a return to all-out war has begun in all but official terms. A new generation of heroes, both light and dark, emerges to face the difficulties of these chaotic times, and fight for the fate of the galaxy in this most desperate age." Also, BioWare has launched a Guild Headquarters with a pre-launch guild program. Here's word on guilds:

Every guild gets its own guild mini-site on www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com, complete with information about the guild, its recruitment status, and its own public and private forums. Create or join a guild now and you’ll have the opportunity to have your own space to socialize and organize before the game launches. Every guild is automatically entered into the searchable guild database, which makes it easy for players to find their ideal guild. Get your guild together early and get ready for The Old Republic!

To learn more about guilds in The Old Republic, check out the Guilds Game System page for details, and to search for or join a guild, visit the Guild HQ now! Also be sure to visit the Guilds FAQ for answers to commonly asked questions.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 15:38 Yifes

Here's a dev walkthrough of Taral V from PAX, a mid level dungeon for 4 players. Looks like standard MMO conventions with the holy trinity in action. I've seen nothing about this game that makes me want to play it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 15:36 ledhead1969

If it's just a mini-game it looks cool.  

14. Re: The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 13:21 Doombringer

If you want a game like Ye Olde Tie Fighter, then don't come to an MMO. Seriously, people... the space portions are a minigame and that's it.

I loved Tie Fighter back in the day. Space combat sims were my cup of tea. I'd love a Tie Fighter remake with modern tech... but I don't expect to get it in an MMO.

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 04:32 Asmo

entr0py wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 00:40:
nin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 22:01:
Why the hell did it have to be on rails?

The more time they spend on the space game, the less they can spend on the core game. I'd much rather they do a good ground-based MMO and a good Rebel Assault clone than a mediocre ground-based MMO and a mediocre Eve Online clone.

Seriously, how hard does it have to be???

1. Bust out the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter (not Xwing vs Tie Fighter). Tie Fighter is still one of the most ball tearing space flight games around.
2. Port the exact experience, upgrade the graphics and sound, add multiplayer and then design new missions.
3. ??????
4. Motherfucking Profit...

The space game in SWG wasn't the greatest but it was significantly better than this crap.

As for the ground MMO, other stuff has just put me off. As a smuggler you automatically get a wookie sidekick?? Like wookies are handing out life debts every five seconds to every moron in the galaxy.. Or troopers are supposed to go toe to toe with any Sith/Jedi?

They've done the usual Star Wars bit. Taken certain cool bits from the first 3 movies (4,5 and 6) then made them pan-galactic standards (seriously, how many Boba Fett's and Han Solo's are going to be running around), then tried to balance the whole thing so that Jedi/Sith aren't cutting down everyone else, tacked on a shitty space game for when, as the Bioware guy said, 'you're between worlds' (ie. bored) and stamped the Star Wars brand on it to sell it.

Old Republic times are a very cool extension of the SWG universe in terms of story, but what they are doing to it reminds me of what Lucas did to 1/2/3/latest Indianna Jones movies...

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 01:16 nin

The more time they spend on the space game, the less they can spend on the core game.

I'm oddly fine with that?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 00:49 Trevellian

The space combat looks absolutely awful.
I love me some Afterburner Climax, but this looks like a shitty version of Afterburner with Star Wars scenery, it's terrible.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 00:40 entr0py

nin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 22:01:

The more time they spend on the space game, the less they can spend on the core game. I'd much rather they do a good ground-based MMO and a good Rebel Assault clone than a mediocre ground-based MMO and a mediocre Eve Online clone.

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 23:36 Creston

Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 22:59:
I hope this fails for no other reason to give EA the shot in the nads they deserve!

EA could burn for all I care (not until ME3 is done though), but I'd REALLY like to see the KOTOR SW universe do well, because it's definitely a very, very interesting universe to play around in.

Edit : That said, this does look boring as shit. Maybe fun to play once or twice (and even then, having to shoot FIFTY enemy craft, when they only ever show in pairs, is enough to make me weep with boredom,) but I'd definitely not do these often.

Then again, they do seem to be completely optional, so eh.

Creston

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2011, 00:09.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 22:59 Cutter

I hope this fails for no other reason to give EA the shot in the nads they deserve!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 22:57 Fion

HK47 ftw!  

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 22:56 Tim Collins

I LOVED DAOC, I loved Star Wars Galaxy before the "revamp", and I loved WoW until the 2nd expansion.

Warhammer Online....garbage
Star Trek Online....garbage
WoW 2011............garbage

Those are my expectations of gameplay...open world....good pvp....ability to be a lone wolf and solo.

In terms of BioWare: we'll see if they go the Mass Effect(quality experience) route or the Dragon Age 2(debacle) route.

5. No subject Mar 11, 2011, 22:30 AnointedSword

Ok guys, I have to be honest here. I want this game to be good, but i think they are afraid to show what is under the hood. Just saying...  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 22:12 Tumbler

Hmm, my favorite part of SWG was always the space combat...which needed a lot more work, but this looks...I liked watching it. I don't think it will be more interesting that simply watching it a few times, everything is so controlled that I don't see how all the work involved making these space roller coasters will end up netting them any real value in the end. Maybe if the ride took different paths so that running the same mission may be 12 different experiences...but then if you're going to do all that it makes more sense to just open everything up and let the player control everything.

It's like riding star tours. It's awesome the first few times but no one pays to go into disneyland now to ride that. I think this kind of content is a poor choice for an mmo. I'd rather see giant user created battlefields where each battle was potentially different as each person brings something different to the table.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 22:01 nin

Looks pretty and I might even play that part a few times.

And that would be it. I doubt I'd ever go back.

And it's so considerate for the enemy ships to do fly bys so they can be shot down.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 21:50 Yifes

Ew. I really hope they keep these space missions purely optional and separate from the rest of the game.  

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 21:30 Asmo

Erk, check out the space combat...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nf36KlvhmKI

/barf

Yep, an empire cap ship will no longer shoot at you if you can't see it anymore as you glide along on rails...

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo