Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has word that EA has rescinded the ban on the user who was locked out of playing Dragon Age II after misconduct on the BioWare forums (thanks eviltimmy). They reproduce an email the user received from EA Senior Director of Customer Support, Boyd Beasley saying his 72 hour ban was only for the forums, and he was locked out of the game in "error." Here's word:

Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended your entire EA account. Immediately upon learning of the glitch, we have restored the entire account and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused while accessing other areas of the EA service.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 12, 2011, 17:18 Talisorn

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 23:10:
Yeah, it was an "Error."

The error was that they got caught fucking doing it. Otherwise they'd have gladly let the guy rot. Fucking EA.

This

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 12, 2011, 16:45 Cutter

Dades wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 01:33:
Yeah, it was an "Error."

The error was that they got caught fucking doing it. Otherwise they'd have gladly let the guy rot. Fucking EA.

Creston

Indeed. However they did the right thing by restoring his service and apologizing, even if it was only after facing a lot of public condemnation.

No, they did the politically expedient thing to minimize bad PR. Their policy is still in place. There's nothing "good" about EA and what they do. The right thing would be to put forth a formal apology to the guy, some form of compensation and removing the policy.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

32. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 12, 2011, 15:21 Kastagir

Lorcin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 21:00:
That was the thread title, that wasn't the thread content. And based upon what I remember, the content of that thread wasn't just asking a basic question like that.

Well really I wanna know what was in that thread then. I mean in general I don't so much as glance at thread titles so this must have been one REALLY interesting thread for it to stick in your mind so much.

The user was banned for using profanity in one or more forum posts. It's really not that exciting, but it did clearly violate the forum rules. If account banning was meant to affect one's ability to play the game, I suspect users would be a little bit more behaved, but this would have to be explicitly stated beforehand and would likely meet with quite a lot of resistance.

31. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 12, 2011, 01:33 Dades

Yeah, it was an "Error."

Creston

Indeed. However they did the right thing by restoring his service and apologizing, even if it was only after facing a lot of public condemnation.

30. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 23:49 briktal

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:06:
It wasn't a glitch, not a chance. I think they realized that trying to hang the ToS and EULA was jack shit where he lives. Because EULA's are illegal and unenforceable unless the documents are disclosed beforehand, and open to signing by both parties.

In otherwords, he paid for a product and they attempted to stop him from getting it for an extra 72hrs, violating his local commerce laws.

Not a chance? Have you used software recently, hell, ever? I'm not saying that having that ability is an error, but it's certainly possible that they encountered some situation where the "ban from everything" option was set even if the mod didn't intend it.

29. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 23:26 DarkCntry

Kastagir wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 23:16:
It's nice when a foul-mouthed kid can get the weight of the internet behind him. Otherwise he/she would have likely been unable to play the game for quite a while.

A whole 72 hours.

28. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 23:16 Kastagir

It's nice when a foul-mouthed kid can get the weight of the internet behind him. Otherwise he/she would have likely been unable to play the game for quite a while.  

27. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 23:10 Creston

Yeah, it was an "Error."

Creston

26. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 21:58 ShamAbram

If wasn't a glitch, it was probably just a case of a forum moderator with too much power. I doubt it's company policy to ban people from games they buy. Such a policy would surely make for great PR.  

25. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 21:00 Lorcin

That was the thread title, that wasn't the thread content. And based upon what I remember, the content of that thread wasn't just asking a basic question like that.

Well really I wanna know what was in that thread then. I mean in general I don't so much as glance at thread titles so this must have been one REALLY interesting thread for it to stick in your mind so much.

24. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:46 DarkCntry

Lorcin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:44:
Personally I haven't seen anything like that on the Bioware social site. They have plenty of anti-EA rants and raves left open and the ones I have personally seen locked/deleted were the result of some seriously disturbing posts. Most of which get into a lot of really nasty topics that have little to nothing to do with EA or Bioware as a company.

Yeah cause the original quote of "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?" is seriously disturbing.

23. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:44 Lorcin

Personally I haven't seen anything like that on the Bioware social site. They have plenty of anti-EA rants and raves left open and the ones I have personally seen locked/deleted were the result of some seriously disturbing posts. Most of which get into a lot of really nasty topics that have little to nothing to do with EA or Bioware as a company.

Yeah cause the original quote of "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?" is seriously disturbing.

22. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:35 DarkCntry

Lorcin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:28:
Fair enough the original comment was hardly constructive - but at the same time if 99% of forum posters are unhappy bioware have signed to EA then they deserve a voice. I totally agree that most internet posts are superfluous but at what point now will Bioware be told 90% of their fanbase hate their choice to go to EA. Never! because 99% of their fanbase won't dare to post stuff like that in case they get banned.

21. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:28 Suddenly_Dead

mt2e wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 19:16:
Hopefully this is the only instance we EVER hear of this happening. Its just BAD timing....bad bad timing for EA/BioWare

PS...If Mass Effect 3 is as good as I hope, I will personally forgive this whole Dragon Age 2 debacle(all 20 sides of it)....cant say the same for everybody tho.

Forgive for what? What did they do, eat your children? You don't like how they changed DA2? Then don't buy DA2. You like ME3? Then buy ME3. They're just a corp, you don't need to love them unconditionally and buy everything they throw out.

20. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:28 Lorcin

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:19:
Lorcin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:15:
I'm not even sure his original post was misconduct anyway. In anywhere except a tyrannical dictatorship his comment was just a personal opinion!

If game developers/publishers want a community based on their games they should be happy to accepts certain elements of the community will not be happy - not try to censor them for having an opinion.

Feedback is essential in every job - the fact the forum nazi's can block any kind of feedback is REALLY stupid.

If my experience is anything to go by, 9 times out of 10 feedback is rarely ever given constructively in large quantities. Almost all of the time it's feedback lining over very thinly veiled deriding of whatever the product/service/object they are talking about.

I would wager a guess that the feedback that was given was along the lines of "this game sux, it was better before ea, you are all sellout fags!!!"

Fair enough the original comment was hardly constructive - but at the same time if 99% of forum posters are unhappy bioware have signed to EA then they deserve a voice. I totally agree that most internet posts are superfluous but at what point now will Bioware be told 90% of their fanbase hate their choice to go to EA. Never! because 99% of their fanbase won't dare to post stuff like that in case they get banned.

19. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:23 DarkCntry

mt2e wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:20:
replace "error" and "glitch" with "idiot (who got fired)" and I'd be happy.

Right...you wish that on everyone who makes (possible) mistakes? Or just game companies you feel aren't staffed by people with the same basic needs as human beings?

18. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:20 Tim Collins

replace "error" and "glitch" with "idiot (who got fired)" and I'd be happy.  

17. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:19 DarkCntry

Lorcin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:15:
I'm not even sure his original post was misconduct anyway. In anywhere except a tyrannical dictatorship his comment was just a personal opinion!

If game developers/publishers want a community based on their games they should be happy to accepts certain elements of the community will not be happy - not try to censor them for having an opinion.

Feedback is essential in every job - the fact the forum nazi's can block any kind of feedback is REALLY stupid.

If my experience is anything to go by, 9 times out of 10 feedback is rarely ever given constructively in large quantities. Almost all of the time it's feedback lining over very thinly veiled deriding of whatever the product/service/object they are talking about.

I would wager a guess that the feedback that was given was along the lines of "this game sux, it was better before ea, you are all sellout fags!!!"

16. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:17 Dev

ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:04:
Erebus wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 19:51:
How is one user in one game getting banned, accidentally or not, worthy of any notice at all? Trolls getting this kind of attention (and odds are this guy did something to get it) has always confounded me. How is this Bluesworthy?

Because a ban on the forums locking him from all his EA games. Something he said on a forum stopped him from playing games.

And if you can't figure out what's wrong with that I advise you to suck less corporate dick.

Yeah and keep in mind all the various news bits and posts that have been around in the past about being banned on a game's forums for bringing up topics like DRM or anything else the moderators don't like. In the past it didn't matter all that much, they got banned from the forums and could keep playing the game.
Now, bringing up any topics a mod doesn't like in an EA forum means they can ban you from playing your game.
"How DARE you bring up anything contrary to the company's stance! Toe the line or we will stop you from playing the game you've bought."
And that doesn't even count the possibility of a mod taking a dislike to you because he's had a bad day, or maybe he's just a nutty mod.
"Ooops my finger slipped"

15. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:15 Lorcin

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo