Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SecuROM in Dragon Age II?

Self-appointed DRM watchdog Reclaim Your Game is apparently reporting on the use of SecuROM DRM in Dragon Age II (the site is currently returning a "403 Forbidden" error), even though this is not disclosed anywhere in the game's packaging or EULA, and BioWare explicitly stated the game would not use SecuROM back in January. According to Vivid Gamer, RYG has stated the following: "We have CONFIRMED from testing that it DOES contain SecuROM, and that it DOES leave files behind. We can also confirm that nowhere on the package, in the EULA or on the Website for the game is thee [sic] ANY mention of the inclusion of SecuROM. EA had been ordered by the courts to disclose the use of SecuROM on any game that uses it. And it is contradictory of what Bioware has been saying for the last 3 weeks." We have reached out to EA for comment on this as well as the report of a player who is unable to activate his copy of Dragon Age II due to being banned on the BioWare forums, but have yet to receive a response. Thanks Destructoid.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 23:39 Suddenly_Dead

Nuhauser wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 22:10:
If the process comes up as "SecuROM" in the scanner I might be tempted to say the same thing. Why would it come up as such when it's really something else? Has anybody else with a working web site stepped forward with better information yet?

Because the full SecuROM suite and this little release date controller are both Sony programs, and this thing was probably made by the SecuROM department as well. The scanner calls it "SecuROM: Sony Release Control". Anyone reading it as "SecuROM: HIDE YOUR CHILDREN" is misreading it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 22:10 Nuhauser

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:11:

Probably because they jumped the gun when they saw a process saying "SecuROM" and immediately went to the route that it has to be the full-on DRM SecuROM and not just a time-release controller.

If the process comes up as "SecuROM" in the scanner I might be tempted to say the same thing. Why would it come up as such when it's really something else? Has anybody else with a working web site stepped forward with better information yet?

40. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 21:51 Paranoid Jack

Too funny.... I am about thirty hours into the game at this point. SecuROM has not taken over my PC (as far as I know). Nor have I been banned in anyway... yet.

I needed to take a break and get ready for an appointment I have so I thought I'd check out the site... I was so not surprised to see the two threads exploding with negativity and rabid posting.

Either way... what ever floats your boat, I guess. I know I've been mad as Hell in the past when a game wasn't released the way I had hoped for. So I can sympathize a bit. That's also why I don't follow them so closely anymore. Less chance of getting let down.

But seriously some of you need to check yourselves to see if you're foaming at the mouth.

39. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 21:19 Tim Collins

To be more technical it was logged from a program called "Process Monitor" with a path executable to "C:\Windows\system32\UAService7.exe" named "SecuROM User Access Service (V7)" and I just called it "SecuROM: Sony Release Control" (Because that better defines it) and yes luckily is did "self-destruct" but as a user that demands all control over my system, if I wouldn't have been informed of this here at blues I would have never known to look.  

38. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:21 KilrathiAce

Thanks Derek for explaination, if thats all that is then everything is fine.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

37. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:15 DarkCntry

Blue wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:13:
Derek came here willing to discuss this with you guys.

Maybe we can maintain a somewhat civil tone with one of the last developers you guys haven't chased out of these forums?

Now Blue, you know better than to expect civility on the Interwebs...or logic for that matter.

36. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:13  Blue 

Derek came here willing to discuss this with you guys.

Maybe we can maintain a somewhat civil tone with one of the last developers you guys haven't chased out of these forums?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

35. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:11 DarkCntry

Nuhauser wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 19:55:
CrushBug wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 18:07:
Sorry, but there is some confusion on this. We use Sony Release Control
Then why is it being detected as SecuROM? Is Reclaim You Game lying, or is the check they're using somehow at fault?

Probably because they jumped the gun when they saw a process saying "SecuROM" and immediately went to the route that it has to be the full-on DRM SecuROM and not just a time-release controller.

34. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:08 ASeven

Nobody asked Derek the most important question yet:

So how much did the devil give you all for Bioware's soul?

33. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:07 The Half Elf

CrushBug wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 18:58:
Its still a running process

There is no running process once it unwraps and self-destructs.

its still in your registry

An inert registry entry that does nothing.

its still on your HD

In a temp folder that is never referenced again. This part is sloppy and should be cleaned up, though. We will see about doing that in a patch.

CRUSHBUG! Glad to see you again!
Thanks for the clarification, and are you on the main Bioware Dragon Age 2 team or the Live/DLC team?

And how much of my soul would you like to make the Golem in the Emporium a party member? (I miss Shale).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 19:55 Nuhauser

CrushBug wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 18:07:
Sorry, but there is some confusion on this. We use Sony Release Control
Then why is it being detected as SecuROM? Is Reclaim You Game lying, or is the check they're using somehow at fault?

31. removed Mar 11, 2011, 19:40 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 11, 2011, 20:10.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

30. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 19:31 entr0py

mt2e wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 19:13:
Lets just hope it self-destructs on EVERYBODY's computer.

. . . you just said in your previous comment "I was utterly amazed when I looked at the running processes and saw "SecuROM: Sony Release Control" running." I'm confused, did it properly self-destruct for you?

I checked both in game and at the launcher and there's no such process running on my computer at least.

Also, thanks to the Bioware employee for clarifying that it's all release date check related.

29. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 19:27 Beamer

Myself and decendents for the next 100yrs would be on easy street

What are the damages?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 19:13 Tim Collins

Lets just hope it self-destructs on EVERYBODY's computer. So that they don't have an ongoing process running on their computer. Otherwise what I said will be true for some. And Derek we appreciate your communication here on blues. Much Respect!

PS...If Mass Effect 3 is as good as I hope, I will personally forgive this whole Dragon Age 2 debacle(all 20 sides of it)....cant say the same for everybody tho.

27. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:58  CrushBug 

Its still a running process

There is no running process once it unwraps and self-destructs.

its still in your registry

An inert registry entry that does nothing.

its still on your HD

In a temp folder that is never referenced again. This part is sloppy and should be cleaned up, though. We will see about doing that in a patch.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

26. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:56 Marvin T. Martian

Man, I wished I lived in the states and had a lawyer in the family--just for a year! Myself and decendents for the next 100yrs would be on easy street. Thanks EA/Bio.  

25. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:40 ASeven

mt2e wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 18:35:
"Once the Sony Release Control check is passed, Release Control self-destructs, removing the Release Control wrapper and it is never used again."

Its still a running process, its still in your registry, its still on your HD. I was utterly amazed when I looked at the running processes and saw "SecuROM: Sony Release Control" running...the one saving grace is that he said the next patch will remove it for the uninformed non-techies, thank you.

This. You (Bioware), and EA in the process, broke a court order. I'll let that sink in, Derek, plus the fact you actually come here to try and dispel things suggests me that EA is in full damage control and may be aware of the possible and terrible legal fallout that can happen to them if someone steps forward to file a charge for breaking a court order.

And I'm betting if such a charge is filed people would find the DRM in more recent games.

24. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:35 Tim Collins

"Once the Sony Release Control check is passed, Release Control self-destructs, removing the Release Control wrapper and it is never used again."

Its still a running process, its still in your registry, its still on your HD. I was utterly amazed when I looked at the running processes and saw "SecuROM: Sony Release Control" running...the one saving grace is that he said the next patch will remove it for the uninformed non-techies, thank you.

23. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:23 nin

Derek, that EA merger was a fine idea, wasn't it?!? Fuckin awesome!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo