Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access?

There's a thread on the BioWare Social Network started by someone who had to create a new account to post there, because his original account is still enduring a 72-hour suspension for what was deemed an inappropriate forum post (he says he agrees he deserved the forum suspension for posting "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?"). In a surprising turn, he says that besides keeping him from being able to post to the forums, the temporary ban is preventing him from activating his copy of Dragon Age II, which, as noted on Kotaku (thanks nin), is especially odd, since this is a single-player game. There was a similar story in 2008 that resulted in EA explicitly denying that forum offenders were being banned from games, but this thread concludes with a moderator explaining that under certain circumstances, an EA forum ban can indeed prevent access to your games:

Please review the EA Community Terms of Service, particularly sections #9 and #11. There are two levels of enforcement here:

1. BioWare community bans are forum-only and can be for as little as 24 hours. These bans should have no effect on your game, only your ability to use all the features of this website/community. these bans are handed out by BioWare Moderators as the result of our travels around the forum and/or issues reported by fellow community members.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow.

View
95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

95. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 12, 2011, 22:46 space captain

Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 01:53:
No need to be obnoxious about it. Some people actually don't sit around their computers all day reading and commenting on every story of note as it unfolds. Doesn't mean they can't have an opinion.

oh didnt you hear? you are required to abide by the schedule and whims of some random internet jackass!

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

94. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 12, 2011, 22:42 space captain

this sounds like a job for Anonymous  
Go forth, and kill!

93. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 12, 2011, 03:06 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 01:53:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 00:56:
Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 00:10:
Wow. Way to alienate your audience even further EA. That's the stuff. When the cow stops giving milk, put it in a choke hold, because damnit, there must be some in there somewhere.

Welcome to the party, you're a few hours late, so everyone else discussed this already and went home.

No need to be obnoxious about it. Some people actually don't sit around their computers all day reading and commenting on every story of note as it unfolds. Doesn't mean they can't have an opinion.

I figured it'd be fine considering the fact that Blue posted an updated version of this very discussion working out the issues...but no, someone had to come in and crow off about EA being bastards without actually taking into account that we're past all of that now.

92. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 12, 2011, 01:53 Prez

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 00:56:
Wow. Way to alienate your audience even further EA. That's the stuff. When the cow stops giving milk, put it in a choke hold, because damnit, there must be some in there somewhere.

Welcome to the party, you're a few hours late, so everyone else discussed this already and went home.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

91. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 12, 2011, 00:56 DarkCntry

90. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 12, 2011, 00:10 Tanto Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

89. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 21:26 Kxmode

meh  

88. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 19:53 Prez

J wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 18:15:
Prez wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 16:29:
This is utter madness.

Madness?

This... is... EA!!!!! *kicks Prez down a hole*

Ah, crap... sorry dude

Okay, that WAS pretty amusing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

87. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 18:15 J

Prez wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 16:29:
This is utter madness.

Madness?

This... is... EA!!!!! *kicks Prez down a hole*

Ah, crap... sorry dude

86. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 18:03 Evil Timmy

RPS is reporting that this ban was, in fact, handed down in error. They restored his account and apologized, saying that it was a glitch. CRISIS AVERTED!  

85. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:55 Tumbler

I think Comcast has the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with.

QFT.

I have comcast at home as well as work, and it took me literally a week of phone calls, a call to the rep that set us up and a call to her boss before we got a simple transfer appointment setup. I had to completely bypass the sales department which is supposed to be able to handle this. It was insane. Like comedy level clusterfuck. You literally need to know what you want, IE be familiar with what they offer, and know how to contact the internal people who can do that. If you go in expecting to just tell them what you want and they'll make it happen....LOL, that isn't how they operate.

I was helping a woman after her husband passed away with her comcast account because it was in her husbands name. We were trying to get it into her name alone which required her to go into the office. I know this only because I've dealt with comcast on so many occasions. But each time she'd call someone would tell her they could do it over the phone or that somehow this was going to happen without her going into the office. And then I'd spend an hour trying to tell her she still needed to go in and whoever told them that was wrong. Next month bill comes, still has the wrong name on it, and she still can't make basic changes to the account. This went on for months until I had one of her family members drive her to the office and get it done in person.

It's not that they can't get things done, it's that the people who talk to you on the phone are either trained to give you bad info or their not trained at all and they learn as they go...and I would imagine quit after a month.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

84. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:29 Prez

This is utter madness. I have Comcast as my cable internet provider due to lack of any other options. However, I think Comcast has the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. Can they cut off my internet because I hold that opinion? What a scary precedent.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2011, 16:36.

- Mahatma Gandhi

83. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:24 Dirwulf

Ok, so I did a reg edit and found my SecuRom folder. That last date anything was written to it was 11/10. That last time before that was 4/09. This indicates to me that DA2, is in fact, not using SecuRom. I will be more than happy to provide you a copy of the exported txt file of my SecuRom registry folder if you would like.

BTW, anyone with this game can check for yourself. Just run Regedit and search for "SecuRom"

Edit: And now the guy on RYM is backtracking a little bit. I think its just a release date check, if anything at all. I think this is just a guy trying to drive traffic to his web site.

"My sig said we tested Disk and Impulse version. Steam hasn´t been tested. I´m not sure if Securom is present on the Steam version"

Edit 2: And Bioware speaks. Nothing to see here...move along.

"Fernando Melo wrote...

The release control software is also made by Sony DADC, the same team that makes securom. But it is not the same product - for instance, it does not install anything etc just as we've stated before. They have the same support site though which is the URL you're seeing."

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2011, 17:13.

82. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:21 Tumbler

It seems like all these activated DRM schemes that don't offer real ownership are finally paying off! Now companies can punish the worst of the worst, Pirates who hide behind receipts! You scumbags think you can play a game just cause you paid for it? Your time has finally come, you wanna play you better keep your damn mouths shut.

WE OWN YOUR FUCKING DREAMS!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

81. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:16 Beamer

I really don't think this is an intended result. There's no reason for EA to do this. More likely it's just something poorly coded, and they expected it wouldn't turn into a big deal, or wouldn't soon enough for it not to be fixed first.

They were wrong.

And even if I'm wrong about that they're still wrong.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

80. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:12 ASeven

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 16:07:
More news on the SecuRom issue.

"Bad investigation by "Reclaim Your Game". They saw the secuROM NAME, and presumed it was the same, (or a variation on the same) program. Not at all the case. Where, for example, are the notorius "hidden" directories that were at the heart of the secuROM issue in the first place?

That DA2 used a date-dependent release control mechanism, and some people don't like that, is one issue.

That the mechanism was developed by a(n in)famous DRM developer (Sony), is another.

But that the mechanism installed SOMETHING associated with itself in order to function does NOT mean secuROM, the program, was installed. Nor does it mean that anything like secuROM (in purpose or operation) is used in DA2.

But... "Hater's gonna Hate.""

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6194280/26

RYM were the group that actually filed most of the Spore suits against EA, I believe. They do know what they're talking about and it's obvious Ea will go into public denial on the face of potentially very damaging lawsuits. And the time-mechanism should also be part of the EULA as per court order and isn't there since it can be argued to be DRM, so they are now admitting to breaking a court order? Oh man, people are going to get fired over this, definitely.

I'll wait until 3rd parties go through the code and confirm either side here.

79. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 16:07 Dirwulf

More news on the SecuRom issue.

"Bad investigation by "Reclaim Your Game". They saw the secuROM NAME, and presumed it was the same, (or a variation on the same) program. Not at all the case. Where, for example, are the notorius "hidden" directories that were at the heart of the secuROM issue in the first place?

That DA2 used a date-dependent release control mechanism, and some people don't like that, is one issue.

That the mechanism was developed by a(n in)famous DRM developer (Sony), is another.

But that the mechanism installed SOMETHING associated with itself in order to function does NOT mean secuROM, the program, was installed. Nor does it mean that anything like secuROM (in purpose or operation) is used in DA2.

But... "Hater's gonna Hate.""

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6194280/26

78. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:59 Dirwulf

ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:53:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:50:
ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:44:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:42:
Dude, its a moot point. If you read my other posts, the disc with SecRom on it is a preview copy, not a retail copy. The retail version does not have SecuRom on it. I do stand to be corrected, however. Like I said, we'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out, but I believe they used a preview copy. I have the Steam version, so I am unaffected by this.

Read previous post. Securom is present in all retail copies.

Can you even get to the article within the article? It appears the web site reporting this is down?

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php

Was going to post that, they have gone down, the whole website, soon after news of this broke.

Anyway, googlecache FTW.

They're actually making veiled threats of going to court in their recommendations. Oh wow. This may become really bad for EA.

I wonder if it went down from so many people going there lol? I found a post on the Bioware forums where this guy says EA gave him his money back and a $20 gift code?

Regardless, I'm still having fun playing the game. I think you are right if this is true, this is going to get ugly.

"I went to EA's support chat, they are refunding my money and the gave me 20 dollar gift code, I encourage you all to do the same."

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6194280/23

77. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:55 ASeven

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:53:
Someone must have hit the report button

Post of the month!

76. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 15:53 ASeven

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:50:
ASeven wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:44:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:42:
Dude, its a moot point. If you read my other posts, the disc with SecRom on it is a preview copy, not a retail copy. The retail version does not have SecuRom on it. I do stand to be corrected, however. Like I said, we'll just have to wait and see how this all shakes out, but I believe they used a preview copy. I have the Steam version, so I am unaffected by this.

Read previous post. Securom is present in all retail copies.

Can you even get to the article within the article? It appears the web site reporting this is down?

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php

Was going to post that, they have gone down, the whole website, soon after news of this broke.

Anyway, googlecache FTW.

They're actually making veiled threats of going to court in their recommendations. Oh wow. This may become really bad for EA.

95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo