Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended

Trion Worlds is extending the Founder's Pricing plan for RIFT, their just-launched MMORPG:

Trion Worlds today announced that the “Founder’s Pricing” plan for the studio’s recently released MMORPG Rift™ has been extended until March 31st. Exclusively available to early adopters of the online fantasy game, the Founder’s Pricing plan features a $9.99 USD/month price for a multi-month subscription. For more information on Founder’s Pricing, along with details on additional subscription plans, please visit www.RIFTgame.com/subscriptions.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 21:25 Cutter

Of course they need to recoup as much money as possible and will do so. However, they need to be less worried about public perception that the game is doing well by doing things like going F2P just to get people in and check the game out and than having a tiered pricing structure. Even people doing this are all doing it wrong except Turbine - and they should tier a little more. It's precisely what pulled me into subbing to DOO and LOTRO, as well as buying the Mines of Moria off Amazon to boot. Something that never would have happened had I not to really check out the game beyond a week or two trial.

I think the ideal model would be something along the lines of LOTRO.

F2P - give people the first 10 or whatever levels with all the starting zone(s) content free. Let them fully explore the game even though content is closed off beyond the proscribe area (you can't pick up quests).

$5 per month - give them the middle game/zones content.

$10 per month - complete game because most people will go through everything and than either stay or leave anyway. And your die hards will happily pay it and at least you got a few months out of those who just wanted to see all the content.

That and all the microtransactions from the store. And with the 2 paid tiers let them accumulate monthly points that can be used as currency in the store like Turbine does. 500 per month at 5, 1000 at 10 sort of thing.

Or perhaps the devs/publishers should start looking at ways of revenue sharing where $20 a month gets you everything in several different games and the money is paid out by how much time a person spends in a particular game, or something to that effect. 100% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 19:12 Avecrien

Its hard to make a strong argument for a game to go f2p on the heels of a successful launch, a great first patch, and growing buzz. I know some gamer friends who want to play but aren't in a good place to drop the cash who would love a free to play option so they could get into the game. I'd love to not have to pay for it! But enough people are paying for it and are willing to pay for it that the subscription method isn't likely to change for a while.

14. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 16:46 Tumbler

Then you'll never spend it, because based on the criteria you seem to be looking for there isn't ever going to be anything that manages it. It's unreasonable and fairly insane to expect AAA games loaded with content at launch for free and with no monthly subscription rate.

Nobody said it would be easy. The same way F2P games now currently lock certain content behind paying subscriptions could work here. I think getting people to login to the game and see what is happening is the key component so many games seem to ignore. You need to make a way so people can see what is going on in the game and then feel compelled to spend money to be a part of that. Maybe open up only 1 class, or 1 character slot with limited controls/inventory.

Do whatever you have to do to make gamers want to check out the game on a regular basis. Don't charge them for this. Once they are inside if you've delivered quality content they'll likely want to spend money on it. People have to see what you are selling before they will want to buy it. It's your job to put that content in front of them, you can do that via advertising but you're passing up a huge opportunity for marketing by not letting anyone into the game unless they pay you.

You don't even have to make the game playable, maybe they're just an invisible eye that gets to watch. Put magic lamps around cities and battlegrounds that will mark a point where a spectator can login and watch the game. It would be really cool to be able to simply sit there and watch people play, this you'd at least know what you're getting into and you'd probably show people stuff they didn't know was in the game.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 16:20 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 15:17:
I totally agree. MMO's seem to be in a state of denial when they launch. Asking $15 after a month of free play when your game is often barely functional and devoid of content is a bad business plan. F2P from the beginning with better pricing would likely keep many MMO's afloat...it's crazy how many games come out and won't budge on the upfront costs plus $15 a month after 30 days... I guess no one wants to be the one that breaks that standard because it will just push profits down...? How many MMO's have to go down in flames before they realize there is way too much competition to expect consumers to go for this pricing strategy?

You would make a game free to play, and then later set the subscription price once people are already playing...and expect them to pay for what they were getting for free? And you seriously think that would work instead of alienating the player base?

Even with big name IP's like TOR or Star Trek Online, you're kidding yourself if you think you can exploit money from consumers with these games, there is too much to play to spend $50 to play something sub standard which 99% of MMO's are when they launch.

Yet Age of Conan was a million seller almost instantly. Warhammer was, too. Rift had over a million accounts created before head start was over. DC Online sold extremely well in its first month. More than a handful of others are running fine and making money.

For you there might be too much to play to spend the money, but given that these games launch to big numbers almost without exception I don't think the people who play them agree with you.

I'll save my $50 for something that doesn't look doomed from the start.

Then you'll never spend it, because based on the criteria you seem to be looking for there isn't ever going to be anything that manages it. It's unreasonable and fairly insane to expect AAA games loaded with content at launch for free and with no monthly subscription rate.

12. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 16:10 Tumbler

Rift is thriving right now, over 100 servers launched.

Most MMO's do during the first month. I think I'm just burned out on getting into games like this only to see them fall apart almost overnight once ppl have to decide if the game is worth paying for.

Conan I thought was a lot of fun but the state of the game at the end of the first month wasn't worth paying for. I went back a year later to play for a month or 2, I think i bought a time card for cheap, and was bored very quickly.

Warhammer Online was another, enjoyed the beta, but once it came down to paying more to continue playing it's wasn't a hard choice. I still have a 60 time card for the game too and I don't even want to boot it up to use that.

I've hit a point where I'm not willing to pay anything to try these anymore. And I doubt I'm the only one.

11. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 15:48 justice7

The problem now is, in order to remain competitive (that is, competitive with WoW) you need the capital to be able to push out new content like they do.

The standard has been set, and subscriptions aren't going anywhere. People will continue to complain about monthly fees in a video-game, however those people will stick to the games which have none.

Rift is thriving right now, over 100 servers launched.

10. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 15:43 Umbragen

It's not just the sub fees, I won't pay $50 for the first months game time, especially for a game I may hate. I know they like to think they're selling the client and the month's game time is free, but that's just marketing. After the month is over the client is worthless.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2011, 15:50.

9. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 15:17 Tumbler

No MOG should be more than $10 per month. And they'd be wise to scale it starting with F2P - to get people in - and then $5 per which gives them half of what the premium price of $10 gets with hopes of getting them to kick in the extra $5.

I totally agree. MMO's seem to be in a state of denial when they launch. Asking $15 after a month of free play when your game is often barely functional and devoid of content is a bad business plan. F2P from the beginning with better pricing would likely keep many MMO's afloat...it's crazy how many games come out and won't budge on the upfront costs plus $15 a month after 30 days... I guess no one wants to be the one that breaks that standard because it will just push profits down...? How many MMO's have to go down in flames before they realize there is way too much competition to expect consumers to go for this pricing strategy?

Even with big name IP's like TOR or Star Trek Online, you're kidding yourself if you think you can exploit money from consumers with these games, there is too much to play to spend $50 to play something sub standard which 99% of MMO's are when they launch.

I would be more inclined to try MMO's if I felt their pricing strategy wasn't suicide. I won't even try these anymore because I know they are all going under. Aion? STO? Rift? DCUO? They're all driving towards a cliff. I'll save my $50 for something that doesn't look doomed from the start. RIFT looked good too, but that won't save it from massive departure once they start asking for monthly subs.

8. Re: This'll go F2P pretty soon Mar 10, 2011, 14:32 ledhead1969

"When the boss dropped... ever seen Braveheart?"

That sounds so bad-ass. I am lvl27 and can't wait to keep progressing.

7. Re: This'll go F2P pretty soon Mar 10, 2011, 13:07 Trevellian

justice7 wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 12:59:
ColBlister wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 12:23:
Rift seemed like it might offer an interesting new dynamic, with Rifts opening up right next to places where the NPCs you need for your current quests are, forcing you to either join a big public raiding party to close the rift or to run away and go do something else for a while. But it quickly gets mechanical. I originally signed up for 6-months of Founder's pricing, but after playing a couple of days I cancelled my sub and plan to let it lapse after the included one-month trial. Overall, it's okay, but there just aren't many moments of amazement, and most gameplay consists of "go kill 10 XXX". The graphics are a bit shinier than your average previous-generation MMO, but there's very little that's actually new here.

How far have you made it in the game? I am level 38 now, and the open faction PvP adds a whole other dynamic.

Perhaps if you're not interested in PvP, this isn't a whole lot different than other MMO's, but if you are, this is a very different game.

During one raid against and invasion, the Guardians (50+ of us) were fighting an event boss, all in a huge line to the east of it. On the other side, a huge line of 50+ Defiant doing the same thing, attacking the same boss.

When the boss dropped... ever seen Braveheart?

This is what makes this game fun for me. They actually encourage Open World PVP, their stance on PVP in game is, deal with it, we aren't going to make uber town guards, if you don't like PVP play on a PVE server. And this has held true all the way up to level 44 so far. We regularly camp Lantern Hook (A neutral town) and harass the Guardians on our server, it's fun.

No it's not UO PVP, but nothing ever will be because no one wants to deal with those sort of consequences in a game they dedicate so much time to.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

6. Re: This'll go F2P pretty soon Mar 10, 2011, 12:59 justice7

ColBlister wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 12:23:
Rift seemed like it might offer an interesting new dynamic, with Rifts opening up right next to places where the NPCs you need for your current quests are, forcing you to either join a big public raiding party to close the rift or to run away and go do something else for a while. But it quickly gets mechanical. I originally signed up for 6-months of Founder's pricing, but after playing a couple of days I cancelled my sub and plan to let it lapse after the included one-month trial. Overall, it's okay, but there just aren't many moments of amazement, and most gameplay consists of "go kill 10 XXX". The graphics are a bit shinier than your average previous-generation MMO, but there's very little that's actually new here.

How far have you made it in the game? I am level 38 now, and the open faction PvP adds a whole other dynamic.

Perhaps if you're not interested in PvP, this isn't a whole lot different than other MMO's, but if you are, this is a very different game.

During one raid against and invasion, the Guardians (50+ of us) were fighting an event boss, all in a huge line to the east of it. On the other side, a huge line of 50+ Defiant doing the same thing, attacking the same boss.

When the boss dropped... ever seen Braveheart?

5. This'll go F2P pretty soon Mar 10, 2011, 12:23 ColBlister

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2011, 12:35.

4. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 11:51 kylania

I still don't see how $1 off is considered "a deal".  

3. Pricing, should I play? Mar 10, 2011, 11:50 JohnBirshire

I agree with Cutter, I never understood $15 a month, it isn't like they are a manufacturer making something that costs them $12 a month and selling it for less would create a net loss. Investments have already been made, it certainly shouldn't cost more than a few dollars *even that seems high* at most per subscriber in upkeep/upgrade costs. If MMOs cost $7 a month for example, more people would subscribe to multiple MMOs, people would be less likely to cancel their subscription even if they were not playing it regularly, more people would try the MMO to begin with, etc etc.

I've been bored to death lately, playing random games while waiting for Bioware's MMO. Played DCUO a month, enjoyed it, but did not renew after the first month. Have been playing League of Legends a little bit, but getting frustrated at almost every game involving someone dropping, so it always turns into a 2 vs 3, 3 vs 5, etc. *developers too stupid to replace dropped players with AI so at least it isn't an automatic loss*. I was looking into Rift, some people really seem to enjoy it. When I watch videos though the character animation drives me insane, I literally watched a guy just make a two foot overhand chop with his axe over and over and over again for 30 minutes while PvPing. Patiently waiting for a few reviews before I decide.

2. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 11:48 Elessar

Give me a trial, then I may give you my money.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

1. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 11:39 Cutter

No MOG should be more than $10 per month. And they'd be wise to scale it starting with F2P - to get people in - and then $5 per which gives them half of what the premium price of $10 gets with hopes of getting them to kick in the extra $5.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo