Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating

The Crysis 2 Blog addresses cheating in the recently released demo for Crysis 2, Crytek's upcoming first-person shooter, saying there will be more safeguards against this in the full game (thanks Grey Viper). Word is:

We know that some people have been playing with an unfair advantage in the Crysis 2 demo. Rest assured that although the demo does not have these features installed, our team has been working for some time on various anti-cheat measures that have been introduced for the retail release of Crysis 2. We would like to make sure everyone is aware of how important this issue is to us, and that we will continue to strive for a cheat-free community with Crysis 2.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 11, 2011, 08:16 InBlack

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 14:10:
Crucify them!

And you call yourself a Christian?? Homeland security crucifying online cheaters preferably along the US/Mexico border. Now wouldnt that be a real treat? Im no expert on biblical matters and theology but didnt they crucify Jesus??

While youre checking that data look up a word in the english dictionary: Hypocrite.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 21:41 Dev

You'd think companies would put more thought into anti-cheat and anti-grief measures nowadays. Someone IS going to do it, even if its a small percentage, and if a company doesn't do anything to prevent it it just means the percentage goes up.
Put a few seconds thought into "if I wanted to ruin someone's game, how could I" and then "and now how can I minimize that behavior".
If you have to, before the game is released, bring in and pay some teen $20 and tell him to figure out how to ruin someone's game by griefing. Simple and cheap.
Oh and also, never trust anything coming from the client. Putting everything (like inventories) client side is just asking for trouble.

35. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 20:36 Shataan

"but on the other hand it sure would be nice to jump into a MP online game and not have to worry about cheaters ruining the experience for all the honest players."

Ya know there was a time when this kinda thing was rare. But that was years ago. The trend now is for peeps to use exploits/hax/whathaveyou.... to get their jollies.

It isn`t even about winning anymore really. The kicker for this particular game, is that Cryo built in just about every cheat possible into the game. IE the Nanosuit. And even with builtin cheats, peeps are still looking for ways to even further demoralize the gameplay.

The only way to get a clean game is to not play Pubs. You need to pretty well handpick your team and those ya wanna play against. As in, ya gotta know them all. This is the world we live in. And years ago when all the crap started, we knew even then it was only gonna get worse.

Personally, I just wish the devs didn`t have to hold players hands, and slap em on the wrist to get em to play nice nice. The game these days is to be an azzhat to everyone. I`d say it all started with having 3 pcs in every home. At least 1 prolly commandeered by someone well under 16. And then? Well 5 to 6 years later, these azzhats grew up.

And now we are forced to babysit=put up with even older azzhats. History doth repeat itself. Oh joy.

34. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 19:57 MajorD

Tumbler wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 17:41:
This announcement seems a little ironic based on the tone of the recent video clips regarding MP.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/multiplayer-progression-crysis-2/711514

At 1:30 he's talking about upgrades you can use and he ends saying, "Is it fair? Who Cares!"

Seems to be a theme running through these video clips that you can be so overpowered that is borders on cheating...by design...

IMO, I would not classify that as cheating, just may end up being poor decision making by the developer (Crytek) as it relates to the MP balance. Maybe they’re testing the waters, and after some time they'll take a harder look at it and decide to either scale it back, or remove it all together. Time will tell; after the full version is released and numerous hours are played by myriad of different people, then we’ll see what shakes out, what works, and what people will complain about the most……………

33. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 19:21 SirKnight

Prez wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 18:39:
Creston wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 11:18:
AnointedSword wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 11:01:
Dead wrong. Corruption at its finest. I said it before, they need more than a ban. They need Homeland Security to come knocking on their doors for hacking into systems they have no business hacking into. Technically, they are not hacking into systems, or are they? If they are using code that effects my system as well (the hack), isn't that hacking my system? Time to take off the gloves, call the FBI on the IPs...let them track this crap down. Sometimes all it takes is a little spankage...

I'd rather the FBI focus on something important, thank you...

Creston

Like software piracy!

Or aliens, government conspiracies and monsters!

32. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 18:44 Overon

One more reason not to buy the game. I have seen some videos on youtube of just outrageous hacks and the general word I seem to be reading that it's all too easy. The game is a console game written for a console environment which make cheating difficult and ported to PC. Do you need more evidence? Look at the demo, everything about it screams half assed console port.  

31. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 18:39 Prez

Creston wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 11:18:
AnointedSword wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 11:01:
Dead wrong. Corruption at its finest. I said it before, they need more than a ban. They need Homeland Security to come knocking on their doors for hacking into systems they have no business hacking into. Technically, they are not hacking into systems, or are they? If they are using code that effects my system as well (the hack), isn't that hacking my system? Time to take off the gloves, call the FBI on the IPs...let them track this crap down. Sometimes all it takes is a little spankage...

I'd rather the FBI focus on something important, thank you...

Creston

Like software piracy!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 17:41 Tumbler

This announcement seems a little ironic based on the tone of the recent video clips regarding MP.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/multiplayer-progression-crysis-2/711514

At 1:30 he's talking about upgrades you can use and he ends saying, "Is it fair? Who Cares!"

Seems to be a theme running through these video clips that you can be so overpowered that is borders on cheating...by design...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 16:27 SpectralMeat

@PHJF

I've had similar problems with punkbuster and then I had to do things for certain games like disable the Steam overlay in game or run the punkbuster client separate, update it, run it in the background, then fire up the game. With Bad Company specifically I had issues with my router setup where about 2 minutes in the game I would get booted out. Got that fixed, it turned out to be some router setting the game did not like. Had to do a ton of researching online and try various troubleshooting to figure it out, but I got it.

@MajorD

Yes I am getting better at it. It also took a little time to configure my controls assign mouse buttons to certain suit functions to suit my game style. It is a fun game. I really did not like the demo when it was released but the more I play it the more I enjoy it.
It is not a prefect game, hopefully they will address the issues PC gamers are having like the lack of graphical customizations for example, but Crytek patching the demo gives me hope that they will look after the final PC version as well.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 15:41 PHJF

Great, I can't wait for punkbuster to kick me from virtually every game I attempt to play in within five minutes of joining like it does with Bad Company 2. At least punkbuster could be like it was in Crysis, where while doing virtually nothing to prevent cheating it at least didn't kick me from every game.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 14:16 MajorD

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 14:07:
I've checked last night and I put about 6 hrs into the MP demo of Crysis 2 on the PC, and I have not seen a single game with cheaters yet. I know there are cheaters I saw many youtube videos of them but I personally have not ran into any of them yet within that 6 or so hours I've played the demo.

At least it is nice from Crytek that they address the issue, hopefully they can come up with something to fix the cheating problem.

Looking forward to play the final game at the end of March.

That is good to hear! Are you getting better at the game? I seemed to be getting a 'little' bit better the last time I played once I started getting accustomed to the movement, commands, etc.

I am very much looking forward to the full game as well, but unfortunately my new system build, which is in process, most likely won't be complete by then, but it will be well worth the wait.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2011, 14:22.

26. No subject Mar 10, 2011, 14:10 AnointedSword

Crucify them!  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

25. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 14:07 SpectralMeat

I've checked last night and I put about 6 hrs into the MP demo of Crysis 2 on the PC, and I have not seen a single game with cheaters yet. I know there are cheaters I saw many youtube videos of them but I personally have not ran into any of them yet within that 6 or so hours I've played the demo.

At least it is nice from Crytek that they address the issue, hopefully they can come up with something to fix the cheating problem.

Looking forward to play the final game at the end of March.

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 13:31 MajorD

Bumpy wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 12:57:
What are the calling cheating exactly? Using startup cvars to change the FOV? Turning off blur? Disabling intro movies?

If they lock down these things with their anti-cheat system, it will be more hate their way.

Cheating refers to the overt or covert breaking of rules to gain an unfair advantage in a competitive situation. Hacking is to devise or modify a program’s (game/game file) original code to gain an unfair competitive advantage. If a person really needs to ask what cheating is, then they are most likely a cheater. The cheaters know who they are and they are pathetic little twits. They falsely portray themselves as ‘winners’ on the game leader boards, but deep down inside they know they are losers. Harsh, but the reality.

Yes, it’s only a game FOKKER!, but on the other hand it sure would be nice to jump into a MP online game and not have to worry about cheaters ruining the experience for all the honest players. Yeah I know……it is one of my many pipedreams.

23. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 13:18 DangerDog

They probably think being able to tweak settings through command line options as the cheats people are concerned about. Changing your FOV and disabling that god awful bloom.

Crytek Devs are on top of it though, they'll be removing those features from the full version.

22. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 12:57 Bumpy

What are the calling cheating exactly? Using startup cvars to change the FOV? Turning off blur? Disabling intro movies?

If they lock down these things with their anti-cheat system, it will be more hate their way.

21. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 12:42 Kajetan

Cartman wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 12:35:
I've already seen the cheating on the Crysis 2 demo servers and it just breaks my heart. I so want a nice new FPS game where people don't cheat but I think I have a better chance of winning the Lotto than that happening.
Stop crying. Accept, that cheating is part of being human. Play with RL friends, play LAN ... oh wait, play with online buddys, play on adminstrated servers, if you want to minimize the appearance of cheaters. And remember ... its only a game. Even if you're a 300% competitive type, its only a game. Nothing to worry about. There a issues around you WAY more important than this little annoyance.

20. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 12:35 Cartman

Cheating is why I hate online gaming.

The only real solution to cheating is having server admins who monitor and ban players caught cheating. But this takes a lot of effort and few are willing, let alone able, to do this effectively.

I've already seen the cheating on the Crysis 2 demo servers and it just breaks my heart. I so want a nice new FPS game where people don't cheat but I think I have a better chance of winning the Lotto than that happening.

19. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 11:52 JohnBirshire

Rampart cheating is actually the reason why I quit playing the original Crysis. You literally could NOT join a game where someone wasn't flying and one shotting everybody. The only servers even playable were the Punkbuster ones, but they were few and far between.  

18. Re: Crytek on Crysis 2 Cheating Mar 10, 2011, 11:38 Tom

So um, I tried the multi in Crysis 1 once and was like "what? why? no." Is there anything worthwhile about multi in Crysis 2? I kinda wish they'd just stick to single.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo