Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 11, 2011, 00:35 brn

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has done a good job exposing his nonsense (and previous nonsense).  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 21:53 Wowbagger_TIP

From the article:
“Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces in the brain," Pope told BBC Radio 5Live in an interview last night. “It's the silent killer of our generation.

“We're now onto second generation game station players who have always grown up with it. Computer game addiction can also spiral into violence as after playing violent games, they may turn their fantasy games into reality.

"It is the fastest growing addiction in the country and this is affecting young people mentally and physically."

There, now nobody needs to even follow the link. Of course he offers nothing to back up his statements. He doesn't mention consoles by name either, as he is on such flimsy ground he'd probably end up owing MS or Sony both kidneys and a leg.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 15:32 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 14:08:
ldonyo wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 10:23:
I see the school of "make shit up to get media attention" has another graduate. Maybe they'll find a way to blame solar flares on video games, too.

Indeed - which makes me wonder why Blue is giving him attention. I understand Blue is reporting gaming news and if this gets attention then it's news, so it gets posted and gets more attention - it's a vicious circle.

Because it's fun to tear this shit down. The scary thing is there are a lot of people out there who will read shit like that and believe it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 14:08 Quboid

ldonyo wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 10:23:
I see the school of "make shit up to get media attention" has another graduate. Maybe they'll find a way to blame solar flares on video games, too.

Indeed - which makes me wonder why Blue is giving him attention. I understand Blue is reporting gaming news and if this gets attention then it's news, so it gets posted and gets more attention - it's a vicious circle.

- Quboid

12. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 14:04 Jdrez

Pure coke is pretty rare. Cutting agents don't keep you from getting high so why wouldn't they wanna save money?

And yeah the guy quoted in this article has clearly never done blow, or played a video game. Or both.

11. entirely wrong wrong wrong, mr "therapist" Mar 10, 2011, 13:28 space captain

Cocaine's effects on serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) show across multiple serotonin receptors, and is shown to inhibit the re-uptake of 5-HT3 specifically as an important contributor to the effects of cocaine. The overabundance of 5-HT3 receptors in cocaine conditioned rats display this trait, however the exact effect of 5-HT3 in this process is unclear.[58] The 5-HT2 receptor (particularly the subtypes 5-HT2AR, 5-HT2BR and 5-HT2CR) show influence in the evocation of hyperactivity displayed in cocaine use.[59]

In addition to the mechanism shown on the above chart, cocaine has been demonstrated to bind as to directly stabilize the DAT transporter on the open outward-facing conformation whereas other stimulants (namely phenethylamines) stabilize the closed conformation. Further, cocaine binds in such a way as to inhibit a hydrogen bond innate to DAT that otherwise still forms when amphetamine and similar molecules are bound. Cocaine's binding properties are such that it attaches so this hydrogen bond will not form and is blocked from formation due to the tightly locked orientation of the cocaine molecule. Research studies have suggested that the affinity for the transporter is not what is involved in habituation of the substance so much as the conformation and binding properties to where & how on the transporter the molecule binds.[60]

Sigma receptors are effected by cocaine, as cocaine functions as a sigma ligand agonist.[61] Further specific receptors it has been demonstrated to function on are NMDA and the D1 dopamine receptor.[62]

Cocaine also blocks sodium channels, thereby interfering with the propagation of action potentials; thus, like lignocaine and novocaine, it acts as a local anesthetic. It also functions on the binding sites to the dopamine & serotonin sodium dependent transport area as targets as separate mechanisms from its reuptake of those transporters; unique to its local anesthetic value which makes it in a class of functionality different from both its own derived phenyltropanes analogues which have that removed and the amphetamine class of stimulants which as well altogether lack that. In addition to this cocaine has some target binding to the site of the Kappa-opioid receptor as well.[63] Cocaine also causes vasoconstriction, thus reducing bleeding during minor surgical procedures. The locomotor enhancing properties of cocaine may be attributable to its enhancement of dopaminergic transmission from the substantia nigra. Recent research points to an important role of circadian mechanisms[64] and clock genes[65] in behavioral actions of cocaine.

Because nicotine increases the levels of dopamine in the brain, many cocaine users find that consumption of tobacco products during cocaine use enhances the euphoria. This, however, may have undesirable consequences, such as uncontrollable chain smoking during cocaine use (even users who do not normally smoke cigarettes have been known to chain smoke when using cocaine), in addition to the detrimental health effects and the additional strain on the cardiovascular system caused by tobacco.

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 10, 2011, 12:12 RenownWolf

*sigh* The stupid gets stupider.

Also, I must have managed to live a sheltered life, never dealt with drugs, never even seen any of the illegal stuff (although I can tell when somebody is on it...).

Since Jack Thompson got shutdown there seems to be a limitless supply of retards to take up place to make themselves look stupid attacking a hobby =\

http://www.renownwolf.com

9. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 12:09 Prez

How do you get the game up your nose?  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

8. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 11:19 J

I was only about an hour in to a game of Hitman Blood Money and I found a line of cocaine  

7. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 11:04 reisub

InBlack wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 11:00:
Ive taken coke on a few occasions. Im a little bit ashamed to admit that I liked it. It is very very expensive though and hard to obtain. That in itself is not a bad thing.

From personal experience 2 hours of gaming "does not equal" a line of coke.

I doubt most of what you took was coke. They put all kinds of shit in there.

re:pwn2own,
see, that wouldn't work if it was pween. x) I'm waiting to see what they do to Firefox and Android.

6. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 11:03 Cutter

Dr. Rockzo does cocaine.

Good lord, people that come up with this stuff never cease to boggle my mind. It always reminds of that bit from Fear and Loathing...

"We must come to terms with the Drug Culture in this country! ... country ... country ..." These echoes drifted back to the rear in confused waves. "The reefer butt is called a 'roach' because it resembles a cockroach ... cockroach ... cockroach ..."

"What the fuck are these people talking about?" my attorney whispered. "You'd have to be crazy on acid to think a joint looked like a goddamned cockroach!"

Though I don't do coke anymore, suffice it to say I did more than my fair share back in the day, and it isn't anything like playing a game. Unless that game is to chain smoke, quaff wine by the bucketfull, and stream an endless amount of meaningless hyper-babble at anyone who'll listen.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 11:00 InBlack

Ive taken coke on a few occasions. Im a little bit ashamed to admit that I liked it. It is very very expensive though and hard to obtain. That in itself is not a bad thing.

From personal experience 2 hours of gaming "does not equal" a line of coke.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 10:56 Esoteric

He needs a better coke dealer. He's getting ripped off.  

3. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 10:24 nin

Wow, that is a riot...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 10:23 ldonyo

1. 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 10:20 Creston

Shit, I'm like a rockstar from Mars then. Charlie Sheen hasn't got shit on me!

/Fuck the media.

Creston

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo