Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Playing Titan Already

Gamasutra talks with Blizzard COO Paul Sams about MMOGs in a conversation centered on Blizzard's plans to continue to support World of Warcraft for many years to come. He does also say that their still-unannounced next MMORPG, codenamed Titan, is already in a playable state: "We're very confident in that product. It's an awesome one," he tells them. "We're playing it already. It is a total ball to play. We think that the reach of that product is greater than anything that we've done before. We're very excited about that. I believe that it's the type of game that will have a very long life, much like World of Warcraft has." Thanks GameSpot.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 10, 2011, 11:50 Kxmode

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 07:12:
The word they are using for their codename should give us a hint. It could have something to do with space. Titan is the largest Saturn moon. Titan is also used in mythology. There is also WOw history when dealing with this word. http://www.wowwiki.com/Titan There is also the nuclear missile named the Titan2.

Code names are simply names given to identify a project under development. They don't mean anything really. For example Longhorn was the code name for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating systems.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 10, 2011, 11:47 Kxmode

Mcboinkens wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 00:04:
kxmode wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 18:17:
Talisorn wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 18:14:
kxmode wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 18:12:
THIRD-PERSON SHOOTER MMO

Ah. Tabula Rasa 2.

But with Blizzard polish; I still think it's going to be a FPS/TPS hybrid MMO.

Blizzard won't make an MMO FPS, imo. It strays too far away from what they are used too. I'd like to see it, since it wouldn't take away customers from their other franchises. It'd be dumb to compete with themselves, against either StarCraft Diablo or WoW, but thats what I forsee them doing.

People said the same thing about World of Warcraft. "Blizzard is making a MMO?! But they make RTS titles. It'll never work."

40. No subject Mar 10, 2011, 07:12 AnointedSword

The word they are using for their codename should give us a hint. It could have something to do with space. Titan is the largest Saturn moon. Titan is also used in mythology. There is also WOw history when dealing with this word. http://www.wowwiki.com/Titan There is also the nuclear missile named the Titan2.

One thing is for sure, I can't wait to find out. I am hoping for something different.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

39. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 10, 2011, 00:04 Mcboinkens

THIRD-PERSON SHOOTER MMO

Ah. Tabula Rasa 2.

Blizzard won't make an MMO FPS, imo. It strays too far away from what they are used too. I'd like to see it, since it wouldn't take away customers from their other franchises. It'd be dumb to compete with themselves, against either StarCraft Diablo or WoW, but thats what I forsee them doing.

38. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 22:35 Kxmode

Fion wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 20:34:
Yea I'm looking forward to 'Titan' and hope it's a scifi MMORPG. As to WoW having a very long life, it certainly has but the game is suffering from having old MMOG styles and ideals that Cataclysm wasn't able to completely fix even if it was WoW 1.5.

World of Second System Effect Wink

37. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 20:34 Fion

Yea I'm looking forward to 'Titan' and hope it's a scifi MMORPG. As to WoW having a very long life, it certainly has but the game is suffering from having old MMOG styles and ideals that Cataclysm wasn't able to completely fix even if it was WoW 1.5.  

36. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 19:48 eXFeLoN

Slashman wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 13:20:
WHOOOHOOOO!!!

Another unimaginative Blizzard MMO blockbuster that adds absolutely nothing innovative to the genre! And it caters to the chronically braindead!

I can't wait!!

lol as opposed to all the other fantastically brilliant mmo's out there, huh? which corporate tit are you suckling from?

35. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 18:58 Talisorn

Blizzard doing a sci-fi TPS MMO in the same vein as Tabula Rasa would be very cool. Regardless of what people think about Blizzard, you can't get away from the fact that they know what's popular and they understand the benefit of releasing a polished product.

Trion have cottoned onto this with Rift, and have something that is very cool ... and they have a reasonably unique world ( ... ok they do have elves and dwarves too, but if you follow the "good guys", then those standard fantasy elements don't really impact you that much). Kudos to Trion for at least trying to break the mold in that respect.

Back on track, it should be interesting to see how Titan (or whatever it may be) stacks against something like SWTOR ... assuming it is a sci-fi TPS MMO. Right now, who knows.

Bloody teases, those Blizzard people are!

34. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 18:56 bhcompy

Asmo wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 17:54:
Jonny wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 11:41:
As long as Titan is the code-name for the oft-denied World of Starcraft then I'd be interested. If it's not then it'll have to be something special and not fantasy based to catch my interest. Far, far too many fantasy based games on the market over the last ten years, think I'm burned out on elves.

I dunno, there have been a few attempts but none of them really did a huge amount of business. Fallen Earth, Champs/Star Trek Online (lol), Global Agenda (which barely qualifies as an MMO), the cop one etc.

Anarchy Online did well in its time and EVE is going on 8 years strong and still growing. They aren't WoW level, but EVE has more subscribers 8 years in than DAoC had at peak, and DAoC was king of the hill popularity wise until WoW hit(though EQ had more subscribers at the time, and EVE is around those numbers).

Planetside also did pretty well

33. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 18:55 Steele Johnson

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:37:
Blizzard made stellar games, Diable, Starcraft, and Warcraft, but in the last TEN years, what have they brought to the "masses" other than just WOW updates? Nothing! They are Cashlords now, so they can lean back and do as they please. Diablo3, for it to be out this year, they need to announce the date prior end of Q2, or it will be a 2012 release.

Blizzard doesn't need to release stuff just for the sake of releasing stuff. They do what they've always done: spend a looonnnggg time developing a game that will make money for a lonnnggggg time after its release. That's their business model. They couldn't care less if you've aged 10 years between games.

32. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 18:17 Kxmode

THIRD-PERSON SHOOTER MMO

Ah. Tabula Rasa 2.

31. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 18:14 Talisorn

THIRD-PERSON SHOOTER MMO

Ah. Tabula Rasa 2.

30. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 18:12 Kxmode

"You're thinking too small. Look at the larger picture. What multiplayer genre is hot right now? First-person shooters. It also happens to be an untapped genre within the MMO sphere. Iím not discrediting Planetside, Global Agenda, and trivial Asian titles but I am saying thereís no one game pulling people like WOW does. Blizzard has never made a FPS title. I think they're ready to branch out into new ground both literally and figuratively. I believe Blizzard's Nextgen MMO will be a FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER.

Mark today's date! You heard it from me first. Just wait..."

Posted Mar 4, 2010, 03:15

I will revise my prediction and say "Titan" will either be a FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER or THIRD-PERSON SHOOTER MMO, or a combination of both.

29. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 17:57 Talisorn

WoW 40K?  

28. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 17:54 Asmo

Jonny wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 11:41:
As long as Titan is the code-name for the oft-denied World of Starcraft then I'd be interested. If it's not then it'll have to be something special and not fantasy based to catch my interest. Far, far too many fantasy based games on the market over the last ten years, think I'm burned out on elves.

I dunno, there have been a few attempts but none of them really did a huge amount of business. Fallen Earth, Champs/Star Trek Online (lol), Global Agenda (which barely qualifies as an MMO), the cop one etc.

27. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 16:55 Talisorn

At least when Blizzcon hits, we'll know what it is. It's all good and well to know that it's fun and has lasting power ... but WHAT IS IT?

IT'S IT!

WHAT IS IT?

IT'S IT!

(Oops! Sorry ... went all "Faith No More" for a second there).

26. No subject Mar 9, 2011, 16:09 AnointedSword

No consoles for this game. What they mean by greater reach is within the mmorpg community. Making a game with something for everyone. For example, crafting, pvp, pve, raids, items, etc...

Yes, we will not see retail for a very long time, but the good news is that they will have a long closed beta for Titan like they did with Wow. I just hope I make closed beta!:)

btw...did someone say, "Titan!"

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

25. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 15:29 RenownWolf

It's amazing how well Blizzard avoids leaks. The recent leak from China was bad, but that's the worst they have had in years and they managed to deal with that pretty well.

More appeal then WoW? I fear that, it sounds very console moment, but you never know... Be interesting to watch!

http://www.renownwolf.com

24. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 14:47 Cutter

winnetou wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:43:
Esoteric wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:18:
It won't be out until 2020. No point in even talking or thinking about it.
In a supposed leaked release schedule, Titan was targeted for 2014. That's before "when it's done" delays of course.

True enough. Seeing as Blizzard - annoyingly - always announces their games 2 to 3 years before they ever make it to market I won't be holding my breath on this. So even if they actually reveal it this year you're still talking 2 or 3 more years off before you get a hands on. The only thing that sucks about Blizzard is their marketing department.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

23. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 14:30 Verno

I'd like to be more confident but Blizzard's main strength is in refining existing ideas inspired by other media, not creating new ones themselves. So I will definitely be interested to see what they are doing but I won't get my hopes up about it being some crazy new original thing that will blow my mind.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo