Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform"

There's an EA interview on Gamasutra where EA Games label president Frank Gibeau talks about PC gaming, suggesting their appreciation of the platform is rebounding. "The user base is gigantic," he says. "PC retail may be a big problem, but PC downloads are awesome. Ö The margins are much better and we donít have any rules in terms of first party approvals. From our perspective, it's an extremely healthy platform. Ö It's totally conceivable it will become our biggest platform."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 22:01 Wowbagger_TIP

The only way they'll get me to move to a console is if they come up with a controller that can equal the precision and flexibility of the kb/mouse, and the console is not a locked-down box that I have no control over. So basically when they let me use a PC with a controller that I can sit on the couch with. I don't see that happening anytime soon.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 08:06 Matchstick

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 01:24:
If by
orienting our company towards is creating IP universes that can exist across those platforms.
he means buy once, play on three devices, I'm all in.

Well EA are handling distributing physical copies of Portal 2 which allows you to play on PC, Mac & PS3 with a single copy of the PS3 version.

If that sells as well as is hoped maybe they'll take notice.

55. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 03:50 Prez

The bloom is about to come off of this particular rose. Like WoW, The Sims, and The Beatles, the Zynga Farmville and Cityville infatuation is a once in a lifetime cultural phenomenon that will never be duplicated. Saturation of clones will only further dilute and deaden the market. Just as no MMO has ever or will ever come close to WoW again, no other stupid social game will ever duplicate the crap-ville success.

Then big companies can go back to treating the PC platform like a red-head stepchild and all with be right with the world.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2011, 07:41.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

54. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 02:24 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 01:00:
That would be great. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. The big publishers are in it for the big money and while lower budget games would be more easily profitable, those profits wouldn't come close to the profits generated by multiplatform games that sell 3-5 million units.

True, but you also don't risk losing as much. I can see both arguments and I assume they have good reason to ignore such a market. Still, movie studios make blockbusters and little drama movies... it seems to work for them. I wish game studios would at least try it here and there.

53. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 01:51 Sepharo

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 01:24:
If by
orienting our company towards is creating IP universes that can exist across those platforms.
he means buy once, play on three devices

Hahaha no way jose.

This annoucement simply means: Yes shareholders we are interested in making Zynga like money.

52. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 01:24 Tanto Edge

If by
he means buy once, play on three devices, I'm all in.
Free play models are already here, they're just not utilized on consoles (unless you count demos). I actually bought stuff during the two months I played with Sony@Home so I can attest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

51. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 01:00 Jerykk

What I would love is for EA and other publishers to start making download-only games for the PC with simlar budgets to XBLA and PSN games that are old-school PC games in design. What I mean is give Bioware a few million to make an isometric CRPG and maybe give some other developer a few million to make a very fast-paced Quake style FPS. Shit like that, budgeted properly and sold through Steam and similar sites, could make a ton of money I bet.

That would be great. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. The big publishers are in it for the big money and while lower budget games would be more easily profitable, those profits wouldn't come close to the profits generated by multiplatform games that sell 3-5 million units.

50. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 00:02 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 23:24:
They should turn Dragon Age into a PC-exclusive series, as it was originally meant to be. In fact, Bioware should go back to being a PC-exclusive developer.

I think option one would be decent, but option 2 is overstepping a bit. Mass Effect works well on Xbox. What they could do is take the two teams they obviously have and have one do CRPGs for the PC and the other do multiplatform action RPGs like Mass Effect.

What I would love is for EA and other publishers to start making download-only games for the PC with simlar budgets to XBLA and PSN games that are old-school PC games in design. What I mean is give Bioware a few million to make an isometric CRPG and maybe give some other developer a few million to make a very fast-paced Quake style FPS. Shit like that, budgeted properly and sold through Steam and similar sites, could make a ton of money I bet.

49. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 23:24 Jerykk

I know it's not popular by most pc forum posters. But one small gesture is to bring back the profitable Madden series to the PC. Let them start there as an act of good faith. Or are they talking Farmville clones?

They should turn Dragon Age into a PC-exclusive series, as it was originally meant to be. In fact, Bioware should go back to being a PC-exclusive developer.

48. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform" Mar 9, 2011, 20:02 HorrorScope

I know it's not popular by most pc forum posters. But one small gesture is to bring back the profitable Madden series to the PC. Let them start there as an act of good faith. Or are they talking Farmville clones?  

47. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 19:13 Golwar

ASJD wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 17:23:
EA to go casual.

Yep, they hope that TOR and their social gaming departement will make the PC their biggest platform. Besides that, they'll put as much effort into the PC as ever.

46. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 19:09 reisub

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 17:09:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:50:
Quicksilver wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 14:59:
Can anyone name a single PC game that was totally awesome and DIDN'T make a butt-load of money?

Conquest: Frontier Wars
Chronicles of Riddick? The initial release flopped.
Grim Fandango failed commercially. Criminal.

45. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 19:08 [VG]Reagle

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:16:
Teh Pwnerer, Jeremy, said it best, and I quote: "The E can suck on my left nut, while the A can hang there from my right."

EA = Electrocuting Artists.

EPIC COMMENT MAN EPIC

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

44. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 19:06 [VG]Reagle

You know what SCREW EA. First they do EVEYTHING THEY CAN TO DITCH PC as a gaming platform. Once steam and others show you can make a killing with digital distribution they come kissing our asses again. Well SCREW THEM. I will never buy a game from these thieving ungrateful butt loving bastards ever again.  

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

43. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform" Mar 9, 2011, 17:23 ASJD

EA to go casual.  

42. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 17:09 nin

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:50:
Can anyone name a single PC game that was totally awesome and DIDN'T make a butt-load of money?

Chronicles of Riddick? The initial release flopped.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 16:50 Suddenly_Dead

40. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 16:46 Tumbler

You're exactly right... Maybe its not the economy since they seem perfectly willing to load up on iphones, ipads, and macbooks. But the problem with the PC gaming market is caused by a failure on the part of hardware manufacturers. Its not simple or pretty enough for them. What microsoft needs to do is make a gaming pc in an xbox like form factor with a modified windows 7 os and interchangable componenets. Basically a gaming pc masquerading as a console, people would eat that shit up!

I was listening to a podcast this morning, Epic Battle Cry, and they were talking about Valve making an interface so that people could run steam via a controller which they assumed was in hopes of getting people to move a PC into the family room next to the consoles.

I'm in favor of it ultimately but I doubt PC gamers would like this change. My experience trying to play pc games from a surface other than a desk has been pretty grim. The keyboard mouse combo is such a hassle compared to holding the controller. If they did this and a lot more people started buying pc games developers publishers would be thrilled because they could sell the same game, THE EXACT SAME GAME, on a more profitable platform and everyone would use a controller to play it. The podcast guys referred to the PC in this case as a "super console" as it netted better looking games but ultimately the same games, ie not the PC gaming experience i think people are hoping for.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

39. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 16:19 Tranceport

I wanted to try Crysis 2. But for the life of me, still can't find the START button on my keyboard.  

38. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform" Mar 9, 2011, 16:16 Optional nickname

Teh Pwnerer, Jeremy, said it best, and I quote: "The E can suck on my left nut, while the A can hang there from my right."

EA = Electrocuting Artists.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo