Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have a lifelong aversion to eating fish, fueled in part by being forced to eat really nasty bluefish by my grandparents when I was a kid. Over the weekend MrsBlue convinced me to indulge her and she bought some tilapia. By far the most appealing recipe she found for it was a blackened dealie, but she didn't want to do it that way because it involved frying it, so now I was not only going to be eating the fish, I was also the cook. The blackened tilapia turned out to be very palatable, the flesh was mild and the spicy blackened crust was well suited to my tastes. After this favorable experience I looked up tilapia on Wikipedia, and found that the fish it noted for its mildness, but while it tends to be very low in mercury and the farmed varieties are both sustainable and fairly environmentally friendly, it's not actually a very healthy food. While the farm-raised variety is low in saturated fat, it is very fatty (low in omega-3 and high in omega-6), and the wiki notes: "According to research published in July 2008, farm raised tilapia may be worse for the heart than eating bacon or a hamburger." Oh well, at least this makes me willing to try other fish in the future that are hopefully healthier.

Today is Ash Wednesday. I may watch an Evil Dead movie or two in celebration.

R.I.P.: Alice In Chains bassist found dead.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: URL Hunter. Thanks Geek.com via TDW Geeks.
The Man with the Invisible Trousers.
Castle Clout 3: A New Age.
Links: Movie Quote Generator Quiz. Thanks Natorama.
40 Hilarious Passive-Aggressive Office Notes. Thanks Neatorama.
The Most Impressive Home Theater in the Entire Star System.
Stories: Intruder calls 911, afraid homeowner may have gun.
Mom charged after tot walks into road with pot. Thanks Roger.
Science: Studies find gene links to world's biggest killer.
Food sold in recycled cardboard packaging 'poses risk'.
Scientists find link between maternal diet and diabetes.
Images: Battlestar Galactica With a Twist. Thanks TDW Geeks.
Media: Honest Online College Ad.
Impressive Football Snapper Trick Shots.
Epic Battle Of The Day.
Follow-up: Polar ice loss quickens, raising seas. Thanks Acleacius.
Tiki Barber Plans To Unretire, Play In 2011. My schadenfreude soars!
Revisiting 'Firefly'.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2011, 01:14 Blahman

Some of the best fish I ever had was freshwater largemouth bass and Northern pike my cousin and I caught in the Thousand Islands near Alexandria Bay. I'll never forget that pike chowder my grammy made, amazing stuff.

Beyond that, I love catfish, salmon, trout, sushi, shrimp, etc. I don't particularly like tuna, mahi mahi or tilapia though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2011, 10:00  Blue 

mag wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 04:53:
I feel guilty whenever I eat tuna. We're overfishing them, and they're full of mercury.

^ This.

Also, tuna fishing results in significant collateral damage to dolphins, sea turtles, sea birds, and more.

For most of my life tuna was the only fish I would eat, but for those reasons I haven't had any in more than ten years.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

45. Revisiting 'Firefly' Mar 10, 2011, 07:38 jimnms

I didn't see it when it originally aired because we didn't get the channel it was on. Years later it was aired on SciFi (before they changed to SyFy), so I did get to see it.

I bought it on Blu-ray a while back, but haven't gotten around to watching it. So I had to start watching it last night. The episodes on the Blu-ray are arranged in the originally intended order. As it turns out, they aired it in the originally intended order on SciFi too. I looked up the order they were originally broadcast, and I don't understand why they chose to air them out of order like that. The episode that aired as the pilot wouldn't have made much since to me. I just hope they fired the fucktards that made the decision to re-order the episodes and cancel the series.

MeanJim on Steam

44. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2011, 04:53 mag

apeman wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 21:33:
I don't know how readily available it is in your part of the world, but if you can get hold of some fresh Ahi (tuna) steaks, it's the closest thing to red meat you can have while actually eating fish. And it's delicious, and healthy to boot.
I live in Hawaii so it's pretty easy to come by... But check it out if you can, you won't be disappointed

I feel guilty whenever I eat tuna. We're overfishing them, and they're full of mercury.

Tasty, though.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2011, 01:17 Pigeon

I seem to remember reading the Omega3's come from fish in cold water fish, and its not produced by the fish themselves, but by the food they eat like plankton. So often farm raised fish are often much lower in Omega3's, and higher in bad fats.

I have a tough time with fish too. I occasionally try fish when I'm out, and that's be real hit or miss. Nothing worse than paying good money for something that makes you gag. So far I've found tilapia, flounder, and catfish good pretty god.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 21:52 PHJF

You just have to eat enough of it, and eventually you will like it.

That's a stupid idea.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 21:47 space captain

Fang wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 21:31:
For a widely accepted food, you can learn to like it too, no matter what your genes say.

plenty of people dont have what it takes to overcome their biology

btw, try some paté sometime, its pretty good

Go forth, and kill!

40. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 21:33 apeman

I don't know how readily available it is in your part of the world, but if you can get hold of some fresh Ahi (tuna) steaks, it's the closest thing to red meat you can have while actually eating fish. And it's delicious, and healthy to boot.
I live in Hawaii so it's pretty easy to come by... But check it out if you can, you won't be disappointed

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 21:31 Fang

You are right, I misspoke. What I should have said was:

"Being a picky eater or not is all about mindset. You are not born with food acceptances. All food acceptances are acquired. Once you accept that, you won't be fussy."

All those studies are about sensing the bitter compounds of PTC and PROP. That's a small component of the wide ranges of foods out there. But that's beside the point. My point is that you can learn to like a taste, even if it's bitter. You just have to eat enough of it, and eventually you will like it.

For example, I think olives are very bitter. In fact, I don't enjoy the taste of olives much at all. Yet, I've come to like eating olives. I've just acquired the taste of eating something bitter.

On the other hand, there's this mindset that all tastes are genetic (as opposed to just the thoroughly studied PTC and PROP chemicals). So I knew someone who was adamant that they did not like peaches. They claimed it was just a part of their genetic makeup, their "taste" signature if you will. I asked them when was the last time they had a peach. They couldn't answer, and soon realized they don't even remember eating a peach, they just knew they didn't like them. To me, that's just sad, especially with such a sweet and wonderful fruit. I did eventually get them to try a perfectly ripened Georgia peach and opened their eyes.

And at the other extreme, go eat authentic Korean food. I mean authentic, not the stuff Koreans will politely serve you because they know you are an American. If you really get into their culture, you'll realize many of their foods "taste" terrible but they have all learned to love it. You can too if you commit to it.

So we have Blue here who has this life long aversion to fish. I can understand childhood trauma, it's an acceptable excuse in my mind. But how many years have gone by where he didn't try it and missed out on some great food?

For a widely accepted food, you can learn to like it too, no matter what your genes say.

Except for liver. No body likes liver and you shouldn't even try.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 21:22 sauron

Despite being the Dark Lord of All Evil, these days I'm almost completely vegetarian.

My doctor told me no more dwarf sirloin, and definitely no more hobbit chicharron - apparently the saturated fat content of the latter is off. the. chain.

Kittens!

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 20:18 Ratty

I heard it's genetic some people hate cilantro. Love it myself but to some people it's bitter and that's cause there's this receptor thing in their tongue that's not like normal people, and it's like in their genes, man, in their genes!  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 19:40 Cutter

Fang wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 15:31:
If you are talking about being a fussy eater being genetic, then I'm going to say bullshit.

Being a picky eater or no is all about mindset. You are not born with food tastes. All tastes are acquired. Once you accept that, you won't be fussy.

Wrong. Actually it is entirely genetic. You either have certain markers switched on which allow you to appreciate a taste or you do not in which case you hate it (broccoli being just one of many examples that people really love or hate). Then some people fall into the supertaster category where they can enjoy and really differntiate everything. Same way some people have superior olfactory senses. Even an "acquired" tastes are genetic, where certain markers come into play at different ages as you body's metablosim changes - e.g. why you didn't like beer as a kid and do now. There's a ton of info out there on the subject if you don't believe me, just google anything to do with genetic taste markers and food preferences.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 18:54 jimnms

Fang wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 15:31:
Being a picky eater or no is all about mindset. You are not born with food tastes. All tastes are acquired. Once you accept that, you won't be fussy.
Science says your wrong. There have been many studies that found certain genes that allow some people to taste things as bitter where others don't. Here are a couple that I found with a quick search:

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/news/releases/03/02_20_03.htm
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/research-bitter-blind

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 18:02 Kxmode

Imagine this!

One man saw them as Potent!

"Nooo. Don't do it. It'll explode!"

Another man saw them as Potable!

"But it's March. I must!"

SEAN CONNERY.
ALEX TREBEK.

In POTENT POTABLES!

It's a thinking man's movie for drinking buds!

"What is coming this summer?!"

Rated R.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2011, 18:30.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 17:47 Enahs

I do not do fish that much either. The only fish I really like is Mahi Mahi. Very mild taste.

I also do the occasional Long John Silvers fish, but its so greasy and battered and I put so much malt vinegar on it, you can hardly taste the fish!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 17:35 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 15:49:
Tilapia isn't even all that great anyways. Get some smoked eel, grilled salmon, grilled trout, fried sole or grilled tuna instead.

Each has a TON more taste than Tilapia. I have no idea why Tilapia is so popular (other than the fact that it's cheap. But shit, kipper is cheap too, and it tastes like ass, and people AGREE that it tastes like ass.)

/loves fish.

Creston

It is popular because it doesn't taste like anything. Doesn't even taste like fish....

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2011, 18:40.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 17:12 nin

Nameless Again wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:10:
space captain wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:27:
growing up in the south

That explains so much now. The lack of proper grammar, the over-inflated ego...I knew I should have put you on Ignore sooner. Done deal.

I admit, I laughed.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 17:06 xXBatmanXx

I think I will listen to some White Zombie/Rob Zombie to celebrate Ash Wednesday.

Well, today I want you to stand up and hold your hands in some stupid symbols.
You're going to get up and scream. You're going to get up and burn an "X" in your head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8QXGv0Z0BM

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 16:51 Kxmode

Ratty wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 15:49:
kxmode wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 15:47:
Is it me or does every OotB have some mention of food? I think Blue should start a website called Food News, and feature daily chili and rib recipes. Mmm... Mmm... good!
And stay tuned. I think tomorrow is acid reflux day!

That's part of special feature called Hell's Blue's Kitchen! Chef

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 16:48 Kxmode

Nameless Again wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:10:
space captain wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:27:
growing up in the south

That explains so much now. The lack of proper grammar, the over-inflated ego...I knew I should have put you on Ignore sooner. Done deal.

With his filthy words I think he meant South Detroit.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo