Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS on Improving GFWL

The Games for Windows LIVE service will "continue to get better," Microsoft's Kevin Unangst tells Computer and Video Games, attributing its "rocky start" to it being "designed originally as a partner to the console service more than the PC service." He also cites the available catalog as a further problem: "We also didn't back it up with the most important thing, which is doing fantastic games to take advantage of the service. A network by itself isn't valuable - there needs to be great games to take advantage." He lists three upcoming games that are using developer input to boost GFWL like "Halo did for Xbox Live," Bulletstorm, Age of Empires Online, and the PC edition of Fable III. "The Age of Empire team has got a lot of great input and the same can be said for Lionhead, who said 'we're going to build Fable 3 on the PC' and know what they want out of the service," he tells them. "We're also seeing developers get back to development. Epic did a great job of promoting Live with Bulletstorm. They're pleased with the platform and the service is going to continue to get better over time."

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 11, 2011, 16:55 nin

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 16:15:
All of you Steam Fanboys STFU.

Thanks for your insightful commentary.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 11, 2011, 16:15 Muscular Beaver

All of you Steam Fanboys STFU. You had this coming the day you accepted Steam. And it WILL get worse.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

44. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 16:48 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 09:52:
Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 08:27:
I was playing Dead Rising the other day, and a pretty cool dude joined, so I decided to add him as a friend in GFWL. It took me 2 minutes and multiple backtracks to find the "add a friend" menu, and added him. All the while the dude must have been thinking I froze or something 'cause my character was just standing there like an idiot while I was hunting through craptastic menus. After I did that, he accepted, which is apparently easier than friending someone. Then after a while dude's character just started standing there like an idiot, so I figured he must have been trying to do something in GFWL. He was; he was inviting me to chat. I accepted (the screen just popped up), and then went on trying to figure out how to actually say something. Neither of us ever found out and we just went on, gaming in silence.

GFWL is the worst piece of software abortion I've ever used.

I was afraid you were about to say you had some freaky deaky hookup over GFMFW...

They tried, but the option was buried too deep.

HEYOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Creston

43. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 09:52 nin

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 08:27:
I was playing Dead Rising the other day, and a pretty cool dude joined, so I decided to add him as a friend in GFWL. It took me 2 minutes and multiple backtracks to find the "add a friend" menu, and added him. All the while the dude must have been thinking I froze or something 'cause my character was just standing there like an idiot while I was hunting through craptastic menus. After I did that, he accepted, which is apparently easier than friending someone. Then after a while dude's character just started standing there like an idiot, so I figured he must have been trying to do something in GFWL. He was; he was inviting me to chat. I accepted (the screen just popped up), and then went on trying to figure out how to actually say something. Neither of us ever found out and we just went on, gaming in silence.

I was afraid you were about to say you had some freaky deaky hookup over GFMFW...

42. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 08:27 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 07:55 brn

As long as Microsoft is willing to leave money on the table to keep games like Halo 3, Alan Wake, and Gears 2 off the PC, anything they say with regards to caring about PC gaming is a lie.  

40. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 07:54 sauron

peteham wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:03:
Or add a subscription like Xbox live...
That probably is exactly where they want to go in the long term..

New contest on the Microsoft website. First prize is a year's GFWL subscription. Second prize is a two year subscription.

Booby prize is a lifetime subscription! *

*(This joke is not new - the original involved season tickets to the Mets ).

Kittens!

39. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 04:24 Umbragen

For it to even start to get better, it has stop sucking worse every time I'm FORCED to login. I really can't communicate how fucking much I hate GFWL - the words haven't been invented and never will be, by human beings anyway.  

38. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 03:57 Agent.X7

What's the old saying about polishing a turd?  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 02:34 bigspender

is this Kevin Unangst on crack?

all they need to do is pretty much copy steam and make it better. how hard is that to do?

retards.

36. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 9, 2011, 01:23 Dev

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 21:05:
Kevin must feel like the worlds dirtiest whore after spewing all that BS. Man, the shit some people have to do to keep a job. Scrap it. Start from scratch.
It will never happen, as they said it's a console partner. It hasn't changed from that. MS really only cares about consoles nowadays, and it helps them there with tying achievements in, etc. Plus they are committing to it for the future saying things like it will "continue to get better"

35. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 21:05 Cutter

Kevin must feel like the worlds dirtiest whore after spewing all that BS. Man, the shit some people have to do to keep a job. Scrap it. Start from scratch.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

34. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 19:14 Killing

The worst part of Bulletstorm was GFWL, took me literally hours to get into the game due to a catalogue of errors, bad design and total system failures that MS call GFWL. It really is the worst platform ever for everything it tries to achieve.

Hell we still cant play Multiplayer Bulletstorm in the office because GFWL fails so hard

33. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 18:37 Golwar

4 years passed and they recognize that we expect more on the PC ... whow.

And they get it wrong if they believe that they need some "blockbuster" games to make it a hit. First make the service attractive before you cause a loss of sales for games that are chained to that shit. Not that I would care for any of the 3 mentioned titles.

32. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 18:30 Dev

Wow could it be that MS is telling us the truth that we knew all along?
"designed originally as a partner to the console service more than the PC service."

And I don't think any of those 3 games are the "halo" gamewinner for PC. I still remember what they did with halo 2 supposedly requiring windows vista. A years old xbox 1! console port that needed what? It wasn't DX10. Just another move to push people buying another windows version.

31. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 18:18 MajorD

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see all the improvements they promised they are developing for 'Games for Windows' in Windows 8 for a better gamer/gaming experience. Vista not too much to write home about there, and pretty much mirrored in Windows 7.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP is all I have to say.

Have a good day!

30. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 17:59 Overon

Maybe there are some casual gamers that don't care about GFWL one way or another. But everyone I know hates it with a passion. It's a console designed thing and even now the xbox 360 one is better than the PC.

Kevin Unangst does not understand our hatred for it.

29. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 17:57 Beelzebud

Yes console ports like Bulletstorm are really going to raise the GFWL profile! LOL I want what these guys are smoking.  

28. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 17:27 Sempai

Fuck you microsoft.  

27. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 17:26 nin

Nameless Again wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 17:03:
Games For Consoles Then Ported To Windows Live

GFCTPTWL. That's an improvement; at least you're finally calling it what it is.

I prefer GFMFW...

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo