Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared

This trailer offers a side-by-side comparison of the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo on the PC and the Xbox 360, showing how the same scenes appear on each platform. These show various environments, rather than gameplay, to give the opportunity for a proper comparison, with the PC graphics on the highest possible settings. Thanks Ant via the inCrysis Forums. The clip is embedded below.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: non sequitur Mar 9, 2011, 19:07 OldScho0l

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:43:
so the differences between two platforms are mildly higher shadow, and lighting. pc gaming running at most likely the native resolution for the monitor it's on, and the console probably at like 540p or some other weaksauce resolution, can't tell how much texture quality differences there are without knowing the monitor resolutions, and what type and settings were on each monitor.

both look like they share the same FOV which will probably induce motion sickness on the pc from the camera bobbing and zooming around like gears of war on pc. i'm sure it's real difficult for a team like crytek to program in a field of view setting, it's only been around since call of duty 1 or so, so it's understandable.

FOV command was built into Quake 1.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 9, 2011, 04:38 Jerykk

At this point, Tumbler is almost a shill for goozex.com Since he apparently gets all of his games from there, that is the price he is going to compare to when judging against PC games. So yeah, he is saving $40 per game compared to PC because he isn't buying new, or even buying per say, but rather trading in/swapping/however it works games through goozex. (Yes I know he is not an actual shill, and is just a fan of the service, but I swear it affects his idea of what new games should be priced at)

Agreed. You can't compare the price of used/traded/rented console games with the MSRP of new PC games. If you're going to make such a flawed comparison, I could argue that PC games cost $60 less than console games.

30. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 22:44 Suddenly_Dead

cronik wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 19:05:
I hate to say it but personally I believe DX11 is purely a scam to sell video cards and I already regret my $300 purchase.

DX11 brings DirectCompute and multithreaded rendering, both of which will be best utilized when engines go full DX11 (which is what Frostbite 2 is doing). And there's hardware tessellation, which is cool. Keeping an engine compatible with both DX9 and DX11 limits how much you can use the new features unless you want to spend inordinate amounts of time maintaining the two semi-separately.

29. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 19:05 cronik

LittleMe wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:08:
PC screenshots are DX9 so this isn't showing what DX11 will look like so it's a poor comparison for the full game.

There is little point is showing DX11 over DX9. The reality is DX9 gamers are not missing much as I've tested a number of the small handful of available DX11 games available, comparing DX11 and DX9 side by side and the differences are very subtle. The racing title I tested I couldn't notice any difference at all when racing, only the DX11 version ran slower.

I hate to say it but personally I believe DX11 is purely a scam to sell video cards and I already regret my $300 purchase.

28. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 18:09 Beelzebud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_%28graphics_chip%29

Xbox360 is only Direct X 9 compatible. It doesn't support Direct X 10 or 11.

I'm also curious what game uses tessellation on the Xbox360.

27. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 18:00 toT

mag wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 17:25:

Ignore Tumbler. He's always spouting inanities.

At this point, Tumbler is almost a shill for goozex.com Since he apparently gets all of his games from there, that is the price he is going to compare to when judging against PC games. So yeah, he is saving $40 per game compared to PC because he isn't buying new, or even buying per say, but rather trading in/swapping/however it works games through goozex. (Yes I know he is not an actual shill, and is just a fan of the service, but I swear it affects his idea of what new games should be priced at)

26. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 17:25 mag

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 13:24:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:52:
I know I can drop an extra thousand to upgrade my PC and then drop an extra $40 on each game I play but I'd rather keep all that money and play console games.

An extra $40 on each game?

Huh?

Console games tend to be priced higher, and stay priced higher longer, than PC games.

Hell, these days, thanks to Steam, I rarely pay more than $10 for a game. Even if I pre-order, though, I'm still paying less for a PC game...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Ignore Tumbler. He's always spouting inanities.

25. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 14:49 Dr. D. Schreber

Given that it is only a $200-$300 console whereas I am reading reviews of a $700 AMD card today, I am having one of those moments where I express my love for PC gaming, but also admit to some of its insanity...

This argument holds less water this generation if you actually look beyond videocards. If you want more than a sub-standard experience on the console you need to shell out for an HDTV that will certainly cost more than a videocard (of course, there's the odd computer user like myself who will gladly whore out for screen size and runs a PC into a 37 inch+ HDTV, but it's hardly needed to get superior picture quality on the PC.) Right out of the box, if you're going to pitch consoles as the superior social experience for being able to sit down with three friends in one room, that's another $150 just for controllers.

It gets even more ridiculous if your console of choice is the 360, where all the hardware is ludicrously overpriced. Rechargeable batteries for the controllers are another ten bucks each, the wireless adapter is a hundred bucks, a bigger harddrive if you're upgrading from the cheaper console SKU's HDD is $150 for 250GB, the data transfer cable if you're switching systems (lol RROD) is fifteen bucks...want to cheat and hook the thing into your computer monitor for HD on the cheap? The VGA adapter is thirty bucks (it was sixty when it first dropped.) A mic or a wireless headset you can actually understand people through is anywhere from $20-$40.

A lot of these things have cheaper third-party alternatives for informed consumers, but the main demographic is the same group of people who are easily convinced that $60 Monster cables or gold-plated USB cables actually make a difference. People who are gung-ho about consoles easily spend, depending on exactly what they're doing, twice as much to five times as much as the actual cost of the console to get all the functionality they brag is so easy.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

24. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 13:46 Dmitri_M

If the console versions didn't exist the pc version would look much better.  

23. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 13:33 Creston

Xbox looks pretty good, but I'd be surprised if that's all the graphical power they can get out of a top range PC. Because it's not really THAT much better looking.

Creston

22. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 13:24 JoeNapalm

Tumbler wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:52:
I know I can drop an extra thousand to upgrade my PC and then drop an extra $40 on each game I play but I'd rather keep all that money and play console games.

An extra $40 on each game?

Huh?

Console games tend to be priced higher, and stay priced higher longer, than PC games.

Hell, these days, thanks to Steam, I rarely pay more than $10 for a game. Even if I pre-order, though, I'm still paying less for a PC game...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

21. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 13:18 |RaptoR|

Wildone wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:06:
360 can't do DX11, nor could it do the original crysis. Fail.

Yet, here it is, doing Crysis 2. I think you meant to say the original Crysis couldn't do Xbox. Sloppy developers

20. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 13:01 aShcraa

Insanity?
The card is for hardcore hardware enthusiasts.
You can play this game with a sub 100quid card, no problem.
If you're a gamer already, the other hardware shouldn't be the bottleneck.

19. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:54 Ray Marden

Obviously the game will look better on PC, but the engine brings quite a bit of visual punch to the 360 as well. If somebody has only a console, it is not like they will be suffering immensely because of it.

Given that it is only a $200-$300 console whereas I am reading reviews of a $700 AMD card today, I am having one of those moments where I express my love for PC gaming, but also admit to some of its insanity...
To say nothing of its cooling and sound levels...
Hoping tit's a skewed perspective of two (widescreen?) videos side by side,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

18. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:48 Rattlehead

Despite the fear of consoles on this sight, the 360 version looks very, very good.  

17. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:32 joe2tiger

yuastnav wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:26:
joe2tiger wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:11:
[...]Microsoft owns both brands, of course it can.
[...]

Uh, are you serious?

[edit]
Beat me to it, too slow.
I was confused, because the xbox 360 hardware allows tessellation.

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

16. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:28 SpectralMeat

I am pretty sure neither console can do anything above DX9.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:26 yuastnav

[...]Microsoft owns both brands, of course it can.
[...]

Uh, are you serious?

[edit]
Beat me to it, too slow.

14. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:19 joe2tiger

LittleMe wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:17:

I prefer the PC over the consoles, but I don't think this is true. The Xbox 360 has DirectX 11 support. Microsoft owns both brands, of course it can.

The 360 supports a very limited/primitive aspect of tesselation but it's not DX11 capable. The full DX11 is much more than tesselation anyway.

Ah, lol. I'm not a hardware engineer, but even if I was I think the details on naming terms would still confuse me.

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

13. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 12:17 LittleMe

I prefer the PC over the consoles, but I don't think this is true. The Xbox 360 has DirectX 11 support. Microsoft owns both brands, of course it can.

The 360 supports a very limited/primitive aspect of tesselation but it's not DX11 capable. The full DX11 is much more than tesselation anyway.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo