Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released

Today is the North American release day for Dragon Age II, BioWare's role-playing sequel, which will be available in Europe on Friday. In addition to the retail edition, the game is also available online from the EA Store, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Also, the BioWare Social Network offers a high-resolution texture pack for the game. Here's word on the 1.08 GB patch: "Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB video memory. Most of the benefits from the Hi-resolution textures will only be seen if you are able to run the game in DirectX 11." For those interested in sampling the game, a playable demo was released last month.

View
115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

35. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:21 Verno

To be fair though it inspired this hilarious image so I can forgive the initial oversight. Though they should patch it into the first title update.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:15 Elessar

Agree that it should be toggle-able, but there's so much else to do that I think too much focus is being put on normal attacks. You have lots of abilities coming off cooldowns (especially in the full game), not to mention coordinating abilities on several other party members. So I don't mind that in the few moments of downtime I actually press the button that swings the sword as opposed to just watching.

If this were a full fledged action rpg (ala Fable) then this wouldn't be acceptable. But there's so much other shit to do in DA, I'm not sure why this is such a focal point.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

33. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:12 Tumbler

*shrug* I'd rather interact with a game than watch a guy auto attack. I agree that building up combos would be deeper, but watching a game is way more boring than at least initiating each the attack.

A one button attack system in todays market from a company like Bioware is not good enough. I was looking forward to combat being more involved and such but with the mage you would literally go through 4 or 5 cycles of the autoattack to kill one enemy. If you're going to have the player involved in every attack like this make it cause something meaningful to happen, it feels like I'm throwing rocks at the enemy, tick, tick, tick, you're going down in 10 min for sure! I think they'd do 3 hit cycle, you shoot 2 shots, then you twirl your staff and slam it into the ground and a flame shot streaks across the ground, but that never changed. If the full game builds on this so that moving in different directions causes different types of attacks or something more involved that pressing the button all the time then that might be ok, but it's the equivalent of a top down shooter where you have to constantly tap the fire button and dodge incoming fire. It's a gameplay mechanic that is decades old and to slap it into this game like this is pathetic. Why not just hold the button down when you want to attack, what is the point of making the player hit he button repeatedly, make it a toggle.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

32. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:09 Verno

Elessar wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 13:04:
*shrug* I'd rather interact with a game than watch a guy auto attack. I agree that building up combos would be deeper, but watching a game is way more boring than at least initiating each the attack.

To each his own I guess, I can relate to console players there. No reason the game shouldn't make it a toggle. Mashing A between ability cooldowns(which are fairly fast anyway) isn't really interaction imho, there's no thought behind the process. You can do that in games for sure but the rest of the combat system needs to accommodate it to make it interesting and enjoyable instead of brain dead busywork.

31. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:04 Elessar

Tumbler wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 13:00:
Somehow Bioware forgot to put the auto attack in the console version. They released a broken game LOLOLOLOLOL.

I wondered about this when I played the demo. The constant A button tapping was ridiculous and didn't serve any purpose. It would be one thing if you could string attacks together and combat got more complex but everything in the demo was just an auto attack animation that required you to press A constantly.

30. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:03 Verno

The really strange thing was that people pointed it out in the demo and Bioware refused to comment. I think it was a conscious decision on their part but I can't fathom their motivations there.  

29. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:00 Tumbler

Somehow Bioware forgot to put the auto attack in the console version. They released a broken game LOLOLOLOLOL.

I wondered about this when I played the demo. The constant A button tapping was ridiculous and didn't serve any purpose. It would be one thing if you could string attacks together and combat got more complex but everything in the demo was just an auto attack animation that required you to press A constantly. I never went looking for a way to turn it to auto-attack, I just moved to the mage character and started casting spells which broke up the constant button mashing.

Quite embarrassing for Bioware, if you missed something this big what else will you have missed.

28. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 12:56 Elessar

I know I'm in the minority (here) and I'm very pro-PC, especially when it comes to shooters, but the action rpg angle they've taken with DA2 is a lot more appealing to me than DAO. I tried DAO on the PC a while back and I just couldn't get into the slower, tactical gameplay. I also tried the DA2 demo on both the PC and 360 and while it's more action rpg-ish than the first, it's even more noticeable on the 360. Which is why I'm getting it for the 360 because I prefer that playstyle. I do understand why you more tactical rpg guys are upset though.

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:54:
I think it's actually designed that way on purpose. You press A for normal attacks, which is a hell of a lot better than targeting a mob and watching your guy attack while you wait for cooldowns.

27. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 12:54 Verno

Hmm yeah doesn't look doable but thanks for the info, wishful thinking I guess

Amusingly even IGN and Gamespot have dinged this game for reusing assets and oversimplification, game got an 8.5 and an 8.0 from them respectively which for AAA titles is their equivalent of a B.

26. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 12:25 joe2tiger

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:19:
From Steam's side, it is tied to your steam account, but you can transfer games to another account for 10 dollars I think.

Wow really? When did they start this? Do you have to be the legal owner of both accounts and if so what proof do they require? This sounds hella handy, I've got a pile of games my brother would probably love and I never touch them anymore.

I've never done it, so I don't know what I'm talking about. LOL, I thought it was 10 dollars, but after looking into it, it looks like it would be difficult in that you have hoops to hop through.
Originally Posted by Arctic Ice via steam forum:
Transfer a CD-key to another account

Going past the fact that you aren't allowed to sell Steam keys/games (as outlined in the SSA) there is a small leeway.

You, in fact, can transfer a CD-key from one account to another. The process, however, has very hefty limitations and sounds quite tedious.

It might not work in your case but there are a few cases where it will work.

CD Key Reset Process

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2011, 12:40.

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

25. Re: trading in? Mar 8, 2011, 12:20 Jerykk

Quick Impressions!

- Game is genuinely hard on Nightmare difficulty, though that's mainly because getting hit by anything causes your mages and rogues to completely stop whatever they are doing, whether that's moving, attacking, casting a spell, drinking a potion, etc. It was pretty annoying at first and requires that you constantly run your mages and rogues away from enemies in order to do anything. But it does add a lot more strategy to the combat and makes your fighters more important.

- Dialogue wheel still sucks. As usual, the paraphrased dialogue choices never match what your character actually says so you end up relying on the tone icons more than anything else.

- Your family's appearance is drastically altered by your own custom appearance. My sister looks like a butch lesbian biker now, even though that doesn't resemble my own character at all.

- Game doesn't look too bad on High detail settings with the Hi-Res texture pack. It chugs during some cinematics, though.

24. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 12:19 Verno

From Steam's side, it is tied to your steam account, but you can transfer games to another account for 10 dollars I think.

Wow really? When did they start this? Do you have to be the legal owner of both accounts and if so what proof do they require? This sounds hella handy, I've got a pile of games my brother would probably love and I never touch them anymore.

23. trading in? Mar 8, 2011, 12:00 joe2tiger

Tumbler wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:57:
Can the PC game be traded? Does it use the same DRM type system the first one did where you don't get a lot of the DLC but you get the core game? I'm hoping so, I'd like to play through the PC version and compare to the console version, I know I can do this on the first one but I don't want to. I'd rather just keep playing the 1st one to the end rather than starting over on the PC if I wanted to play it on the PC.
Well, from EA's side of the DRM. The product key is tied to your e-mail account you create.

So for example, if you have the steam version, you pay the 10 dollars to trade this game to someone else's account. That person still needs to log in with your EA credentials when they try to play.

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

22. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 11:57 Tumbler

Can the PC game be traded? Does it use the same DRM type system the first one did where you don't get a lot of the DLC but you get the core game? I'm hoping so, I'd like to play through the PC version and compare to the console version, I know I can do this on the first one but I don't want to. I'd rather just keep playing the 1st one to the end rather than starting over on the PC if I wanted to play it on the PC.  

21. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 11:54 Dirwulf

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6395493/2

20. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 11:51 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:46:
As i haven't had time to play the demo i can't really judge how "bad" this one is or what was dumbed down,

I would strongly recommend you do that. It's quite the train wreck.

Very well, now you made me curious

19. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 11:47 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 10:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 10:16:
Seriously, who cares how dumbed down it is, as long as its got 3 things
1) Decent story
2) Decent party interaction
3) Romance

If it has any of that then i don't really see what else one needs in a RPG. Combat and graphics are secondary

You can't interact with your party at will, the story I can't comment on because I didn't see enough of it and romance isn't a videogame consideration to me.

Well, i had hoped my short (lazy) post would have been enough to point out that i was drawing comparison to BG2 and wondered how it fared in those regards (Combat in BG2 was hilarious and graphics... well ;p). Naturally romance means = inter party romance/conflict/etc. Something BG2 was famous for (Heck, you could be attacked by our own party members! ;P)

18. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 11:46 nin

As i haven't had time to play the demo i can't really judge how "bad" this one is or what was dumbed down,

I would strongly recommend you do that. It's quite the train wreck.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 11:41 eRe4s3r

Hehe Well i am just saying, if its got these 3 things it would make an interesting rpg. As i haven't had time to play the demo i can't really judge how "bad" this one is or what was dumbed down, i only know the graphics look terrible.

As for 3 - well i admit i thought of "BG2" kind of romances and party banter - ie, inter party romance and assorted that are not "just" focused on the player character (I guess it is a part of decent party interaction) ;p If the characters don't invoke empathy you might as well watch that chick flick instead indeed.

In DA1 it was executed pretty well (The Shale Golem for example) Although not as well as it could be.

16. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 11:25 Verno

You're excused for potentially confusing that game with Phallic Overcompensation Age  

115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo