Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released

Today is the North American release day for Dragon Age II, BioWare's role-playing sequel, which will be available in Europe on Friday. In addition to the retail edition, the game is also available online from the EA Store, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Also, the BioWare Social Network offers a high-resolution texture pack for the game. Here's word on the 1.08 GB patch: "Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB video memory. Most of the benefits from the Hi-resolution textures will only be seen if you are able to run the game in DirectX 11." For those interested in sampling the game, a playable demo was released last month.

View
115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

55. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:54 Burrito of Peace

I tried the demo...and I was underwhelmed.

Is there more to the sequel than "Rush, kill, rush, spout chivalric, pithy or growling one liner and then kill more"?

If so, the demo didn't present it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:53 Verno

The debate itself has been done to death around here already, I'm not rehashing it especially when the demo was already dissected in detail. Suffice to say you're going to love or hate this game, there isn't a lot in between for most people. A friend of mine bought the 360 version, I was actually a bit anxious to check it out, hoping that the demo was just a bad showing for the full game but it didn't turn me around on the key points I disliked.

Anyway someone with the full game please post some more amusing phallic swords.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

53. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:52 Elessar

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:49:
so the Press A issue doesn't really apply.

But how will awesome things happen?!?!?!
If you press A, you will more than likely move or strafe to the left. There may be something awesome over to the left though.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

52. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:52 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:42:
It's made by an entirely different team so I wouldn't lose faith Creston, they also did say they went too far with ME2's RPG element streamlining which is encouraging.

Yeah, let's hope so. I'm mostly worried about the short timespan. They have an entire YEAR less time to do 3 compared to 2...

Elessar, read up on the few previous DA2 threads. People have been voicing their complaints plenty of times already. Otherwise read this article :

The Death of the Classic RPG

Creston

51. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:49 nin

so the Press A issue doesn't really apply.

But how will awesome things happen?!?!?!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

50. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:48 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:40:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:37:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:33:
"Hopefully ME3 will still be decent"

Good Luck With That.

Cry

I still have hope. I loved ME2.

Dear God.... please...

Creston

PRESS "A", CRESTON!

PRESS "A"!

Will something awesome happen?

Creston

49. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:46 Elessar

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:42:
It's made by an entirely different team so I wouldn't lose faith Creston
Okay, so now I'm curious, what is so awful about this game that has garnered so much pessimism? Did anyone play it extensively outside of the demo? Also, if I had to guess, most of you guys would play the PC version, so the Press A issue doesn't really apply.

48. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:42 Verno

It's made by an entirely different team so I wouldn't lose faith Creston, they also did say they went too far with ME2's RPG element streamlining which is encouraging.  

47. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:40 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:37:

Good Luck With That.

Cry

Dear God.... please...

Creston

PRESS "A", CRESTON!

PRESS "A"!

46. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:37 Creston

Good Luck With That.

Cry

Dear God.... please...

Creston

45. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:37 Elessar

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:13:
Sigh. Hopefully ME3 will still be decent, although with the short development time, it seems rather doubtful.
So much doom and gloom about this. The demo made me want to actually buy this day one, so I'm predicting DA2 (and ME3) will be much more than decent.

Seems to be getting reviewed well so far too. I enjoy the faster pace, but for those that don't you may still want to give it a chance. Not gospel or anything, but one of the reviews say... "It may be difficult for hardcore gamers to ignore the revamped combat system, but once you calm down and excuse some minor flaws, you'll find an amazing game in Dragon Age II."

44. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:34 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:30:
But I bet if you click a button with that sword, something REALLY awesome happens!

The unfathomable design of the blade and grip aside, I especially love the ridiculous spike on the end of the pommel which would only serve to impale it's owner during even basic use. I hope someday an artist at Bioware reads this thread and grins his ass off, knowing that at least a few people recognized his troll.

43. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:33 nin

Good Luck With That.

42. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:30 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:13:
But I bet if you click a buton with that sword, something REALLY awesome happens!

Creston
I'll bet shit explodes man! I'm getting pretty leary of what I'm hearing from other review sites outside of the US. Sounding like Dragon the Mass Age Effect has some true.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

41. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:13 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:08:
I think this sword design that looks straight out of Final Fantasy 7 says it all, almost like the dev team is actually trolling its fans.

But I bet if you click a button with that sword, something REALLY awesome happens!

Edit : I LOVE that Bioware just neglected to put Auto-Attack in the console versions, then kept it a secret until people couldn't cancel their pre-orders anymore. Great show there, guys.

"Just because we're owned by EA now, doesn't mean anything's going to change!"

Sigh. Hopefully ME3 will still be decent, although with the short development time, it seems rather doubtful.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2011, 14:29.

40. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:58 LittleMe

wrlwnd wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:01:
Tying high-res textures to DirectX 11 is total fail.

It isn't. DX9 will still get visual improvements from the high res texture pack. DX10 'cards' run the game in DX11 mode so they also get a benefit. DX11 cards running in dx11 mode get the most benefit.

It's been this way on PC since 1984 when EGA cards came out and offered visual benefit over CGA, people. Welcome to the computer age.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

39. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:31 JoeNapalm

ScottB wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 13:24:
Hopefully Bioware is hearing the complaints posted here and other places and DA3 will have more depth, but having the choice of buying DA2 is not a bad thing.

BWAAH HA HA HA ha ha HA HA ha ha HAAAAA HA ha haaaa hah heh heh heh..

*wipes tear away*

Oh man, that's great. You're killin' me.

*snorfle*

Seriously...the only thing they'll hear is the chime of cash registers, dude...or the lack thereof. Anything else is a pipe dream.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

38. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:29 Tumbler

To be fair though it inspired this hilarious image so I can forgive the initial oversight. Though they should patch it into the first title update.

Spoilers:
LOL, that is....AWESOME! I love the AAA part, one A isn't enough, we need THREE AAA's! AAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME!!!!!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:27 nin

Hopefully Bioware is hearing the complaints posted here and other places and DA3 will have more depth

I seriously seriously doubt that, but would love to be wrong.

At this point, I've pretty much written off Bioware.

36. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:24 Leper

I'm not ecstatic about a lot of the changes from DA1, but personally I think it still looks good enough to buy without feeling like some sort of traitor. There's definitely some good stuff in there with regards to the story and the combat in the demo was fun in its own way. The graphics are good and a high-res patch isn't unheard of since most PC gamers won't be able to use the textures anyway. Hopefully Bioware is hearing the complaints posted here and other places and DA3 will have more depth, but having the choice of buying DA2 is not a bad thing.  

115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo