Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released

Today is the North American release day for Dragon Age II, BioWare's role-playing sequel, which will be available in Europe on Friday. In addition to the retail edition, the game is also available online from the EA Store, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Also, the BioWare Social Network offers a high-resolution texture pack for the game. Here's word on the 1.08 GB patch: "Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB video memory. Most of the benefits from the Hi-resolution textures will only be seen if you are able to run the game in DirectX 11." For those interested in sampling the game, a playable demo was released last month.

View
115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

75. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 17:28 nin

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 17:20:
The WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance sure loves to park at Blue's.

The 1st legitimate reviews are more positive than what has been posted by most here. And guess what-they have actually played the game.

So you're saying all the things broken in the demo are magically fixed in the retail game?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 17:28 Elessar

entr0py wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 17:26:
Really enjoying the game so far. Some of the changes are definitely good, such as the inventory management and crafting overhauls. Losing the floaty overhead cam continues to suck, especially on nightmare. Managing agro and crowd control are now particularly vital, due to the new interrupt and knockback systems. Mages are still awesome, but they're now much more vulnerable, while rogues and archers have become a lot more useful in combat.

As I suspected, people were reading WAY too much into the demo. "What, stealth, lockpicking/trap disarming, injury kits, poisons ect. weren't in the 20 minute demo? They must not exist!"
And people wonder why demo's aren't released. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

73. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 17:26 entr0py

Really enjoying the game so far. Some of the changes are definitely good, such as the inventory management and crafting overhauls. Losing the floaty overhead cam continues to suck, especially on nightmare. Managing agro and crowd control are now particularly vital, due to the new interrupt and knockback systems. Mages are still awesome, but they're now much more vulnerable, while rogues and archers have become a lot more useful in combat.

As I suspected, people were reading WAY too much into the demo. "What, stealth, lockpicking/trap disarming, injury kits, poisons ect. weren't in the 20 minute demo? They must not exist!"

72. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 17:20 Marvin T. Martian

The WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance sure loves to park at Blue's.

The 1st legitimate reviews are more positive than what has been posted by most here. And guess what-they have actually played the game.

71. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 16:25 Optional nickname

This game reminds me of that really crap movie, starring some new crap actor, that is supposed to be funny, and isn't, but twenty five thousand people have to login to IMDB/com to each rate it 1 star, and write a review on how horrible it is. Oh this makes me wonder...  

70. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 16:13 Mashiki Amiketo

killer_roach wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 16:02:
He said "depth". Blizzard's latest half-assed hack-and-slash and Molyneux's latest digital abortion doesn't count.
Funny, most people these days seem to think those are "deep" games. Which I suppose says something.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

69. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 16:02 killer_roach

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:14:
Elessar wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:03:
I'm glad there's a action rpg with some depth for people like me, but sorry for you guys missing out not getting a deep, tactical cRPG.
Diablo? Diablo II? 3? Fable? Man a real lack of action RPG's and I didn't even list them all.

It's like space sims, man wtf happened.

He said "depth". Blizzard's latest half-assed hack-and-slash and Molyneux's latest digital abortion doesn't count.

68. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:29 JoeNapalm

Elessar wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:52:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:49:
so the Press A issue doesn't really apply.

But how will awesome things happen?!?!?!
If you press A, you will more than likely move or strafe to the left. There may be something awesome over to the left though.

I don't know what's over there to the left, but Elessar's comment is Awesome.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

67. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:26 Jerykk

Does that mean the game is fun? Are you happy with the game compared to the first one? Your summary seems to side step the most important issue for me, are you having fun playing it?

Combat on Nightmare is enjoyable. Dialogue, not so much. Fun is completely subjective though so you should be more interested in the objective details rather than vague notions of "fun."

66. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:23 Tumbler

Summary: The game is hard and requires tactical thought and micromanagement on Nightmare difficulty. I haven't played enough to judge the RPG elements so I can't say much about those. The dialogue wheel sucks, though.

Does that mean the game is fun? Are you happy with the game compared to the first one? Your summary seems to side step the most important issue for me, are you having fun playing it?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

65. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:17:
People stopped buying space sims but to be fair people also stopped making them so who knows what that market could be these days. One of Bioware's goals was to see if CRPGs were still financially viable and DA:O proved that to be the case in my opinion. Unfortunately we don't get to see DD sales figures and EA's financial statement doesn't break out things like DLC in detail so it's impossible to prove or disprove.
True. They did just stop making them but, ah take something like Freespace. The graphics at the time were leapyears ahead of the tech, and it was great. Not to mention the story, vo's and all that. Upside with SCP it looks pretty kick ass in OGL(if you have a good card).

From everything I heard, DAO sold exceptionally well. It was the PC>Console port that sucked hard. But no fault of their own, considering the game was pc-centric to start, delayed nearly a year and had the consolization tacked on after just for them. The DLC? Pft solid money maker, people will buy anything if you dangle it in front of them and use a non-monetary value for the purchase price.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

64. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:19 Elessar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:14:
Diablo? Diablo II? 3? Fable? Man a real lack of action RPG's and I didn't even list them all.
Who said there was a lack? Regardless I've played and finished those all, so...

63. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:18 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:17:
People stopped buying space sims but to be fair people also stopped making them so who knows what that market could be these days.

Evochron Mercenary, X3, Miner Wars, etc.

62. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:18 ASeven

A friend of mine bought this on Steam and I went there to watch him play. Dear god, what have they done? It was as if I was watching FFXII or something.

Oh Bioware, how far, really far, you have fallen. I honestly didn't play the demo because I wasn't interested but the playthrough by my friend was even below my already low expectations. Oh dear.

61. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:17 Verno

People stopped buying space sims but to be fair people also stopped making them so who knows what that market could be these days. One of Bioware's goals was to see if CRPGs were still financially viable and DA:O proved that to be the case in my opinion. Unfortunately we don't get to see DD sales figures and EA's financial statement doesn't break out things like DLC in detail so it's impossible to prove or disprove.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

60. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Elessar wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:03:
I'm glad there's a action rpg with some depth for people like me, but sorry for you guys missing out not getting a deep, tactical cRPG.

It's like space sims, man wtf happened.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

59. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:11 Verno

but elsewhere I'm sure they've added more customers than lost with the more action-oriented approach

We'll see I guess, DA:O was Bioware's most successful title. Unfortunately for better or worse this title will ride on DA:O's coattails and marketing will work its wonders with a known brand. Anyway, most console user opinions I could find seemed more unhappy with the porting job, particularly the interface than anything else. I own consoles and I value deep experiences and complex gameplay just as much as I like the odd no nonsense action game.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

58. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:08 Jerykk

People apparently missed my hands-on impressions of the full game. Here they are again, based on the first few hours of gameplay on Nightmare difficulty:

- Game is genuinely hard on Nightmare difficulty, though that's mainly because getting hit by anything causes your mages and rogues to completely stop whatever they are doing, whether that's moving, attacking, casting a spell, drinking a potion, etc. It was pretty annoying at first and requires that you constantly run your mages and rogues away from enemies in order to do anything. But it does add a lot more strategy to the combat and makes your fighters more important.

- Dialogue wheel still sucks. As usual, the paraphrased dialogue choices never match what your character actually says so you end up relying on the tone icons more than anything else.

- Your family's appearance is drastically altered by your own custom appearance. My sister looks like a butch lesbian biker now, even though that doesn't resemble my own character at all.

- Game doesn't look too bad on High detail settings with the Hi-Res texture pack. It chugs during some cinematics, though.

Summary: The game is hard and requires tactical thought and micromanagement on Nightmare difficulty. I haven't played enough to judge the RPG elements so I can't say much about those. The dialogue wheel sucks, though.

57. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:03 Elessar

Skimmed through that article. It's funny, the things they changed with DA2 actually added me as a customer and lost most of you guys here. Here being at Blues, I'm seeing there's more support for tactical cRPGs, but elsewhere I'm sure they've added more customers than lost with the more action-oriented approach. It's the whole console-kids debate, but oddly I find myself on the other end on this one. I'm glad there's a action rpg with some depth for people like me, but sorry for you guys missing out not getting a deep, tactical cRPG.  

56. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:56 El Pit

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:48:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:40:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:37:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:33:
"Hopefully ME3 will still be decent"

Good Luck With That.

Cry

I still have hope. I loved ME2.

Dear God.... please...

Creston

PRESS "A", CRESTON!

PRESS "A"!

Will something awesome happen?

Creston

A cake, Creston. There's a cake waiting for you. it's not a lie.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo