Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released

Today is the North American release day for Dragon Age II, BioWare's role-playing sequel, which will be available in Europe on Friday. In addition to the retail edition, the game is also available online from the EA Store, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Also, the BioWare Social Network offers a high-resolution texture pack for the game. Here's word on the 1.08 GB patch: "Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB video memory. Most of the benefits from the Hi-resolution textures will only be seen if you are able to run the game in DirectX 11." For those interested in sampling the game, a playable demo was released last month.

View
115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

95. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 15:34 Creston

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 21:24:
Then I tried to redeem my code for the extra items and DLC at the Bioware site. Shit, that didn't work either. Every time I logged in and tried to register my PC version of DA2 (yeah, I thought I just registered the damn thing) it looped me back to the log-in screen. I was getting pissed off after almost an hour of this shit before they fixed their broke dick site.

Well, it's not like that's happened before. They couldn't possibly be expected to anticipate these issues.

Wait, what? Oh, it happened with both Dragon Age AND Mass Effect 2? Oh.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

94. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 15:05 Jerykk

Really? You (and others) are going to nitpick a demo because the difficulty was too easy? Is it really that hard to imagine how if it were more difficult, you may enjoy it more? Again, it's a glimpse into the gameplay, you were reading too much into it imo.

The issue was that players had no reason to expect that Nightmare difficulty in DA2 would be challenging, given how easy it was on the last Dragon Age game (Awakening). The point of a demo is to address such concerns, which the DA2 demo did not. All it did was show that Normal difficulty was exponentially easier than it was in DAO. It's not unreasonable for players to assume that this would apply to the higher difficulty settings as well.

93. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 14:56 Paranoid Jack

WoW, what a difference the High Res Texture Pack makes. I was playing it on high settings with 4X AA and 2X whatever and it was chugging at times. With this texture pack the game looks better and runs far better. Go figure.... I have a three year old card, GTX 260.

Enjoying the game so far. Glad I bought it after all. And just to let you know the crash to desktop was due to old drivers. I'm using the 266- whatever now. The demo advised me that my drivers were old but the full version just crashes if you didn't update your drivers recently. LoL

92. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 12:46 Elessar

Really? You (and others) are going to nitpick a demo because the difficulty was too easy? Is it really that hard to imagine how if it were more difficult, you may enjoy it more? Again, it's a glimpse into the gameplay, you were reading too much into it imo.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

91. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 12:16 Jerykk

You may think it lacked proper representation of the full game, but I completely disagree.

Um, having played both the demo and the full game, I know for a fact that it's not a proper representation of the full game. There's a huge difference between Normal difficulty and Nightmare difficulty. Normal difficulty is a cakewalk and requires no tactics or party management. Nightmare is the exact opposite. People primarily blasted the demo because it was insanely easy. Had they made the different difficulty levels available, this would not have been an issue.

90. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 11:44 Elessar

Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 22:57:
And people wonder why demo's aren't released. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

There are a lot of things they could have done to improve the demo. First and foremost, if they hadn't locked the difficulty to Normal, nobody would have complained about the combat being too easy. They shouldn't have locked the inventory either. Or most of the game options. They should have also made sure that the DX10 and 11 modes actually worked correctly.

Rest assured, playing the game on Nightmare difficulty makes a huge difference. I still don't like the limited tactical camera or the other changes they've made but the combat is still challenging and tactical on the highest difficulty setting.

And the game looks pretty good on the highest detail settings + hi-res texture pack. A lot better than the demo, for sure.
Dude, it was a fucking demo. Surely you realize it's a minute fraction of what the game's capable of. You may think it lacked proper representation of the full game, but I completely disagree. It gave me a sense of how Awesome the game could be and I bought it because of it. If anyone had reservations after playing it, fine, but people absolutely blasted the entire game over short, limited gameplay demo. Talk about premature conclusions. Sheesh.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

89. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 09:47 briktal

sauron wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 08:05:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 09:51:
Dragon Age 2 release

I dare say, good chap, is this excrement fresh?

This made me lol at my desk this morning.

I'm not sure how Bioware managed to release DA, DA:O and DA2 in such a short space of time. The cynical side of me suspects it has something to do with the sounds of cash registers ringing.

I think they forgot that when trying to balance the interests of the dev team versus the marketing/sales team, the former is always the one to go with.

I don't know enough about game development to know how long it should take. I mean, it was 6 months faster than BG->BG2, but I don't know how much of that was rushing/cutting stuff and how much was better tools and being able to hire more people, as you need some better tools and some more people anyway.

88. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 09:35 Verno

Had some time to play with a buddy who bought it on Steam, he's about ten hours in and I've seen the first part of the game on 360. My disjointed thoughts below:

- Mediocre voice acting on most people except Hawke

- Not seeing the hook to the story yet, I'm not sure if this is a problem with the writing itself or the premise, to be fair perhaps we're just not far enough

- Combat is bizarre and unsatisfying. We tried Nightmare which would be fine if enemies didn't literally appear out of thin air and rape you. It removes any semblance of tactical combat. As someone else mentioned enemies don't have to respect line of sight which is a total WTF moment when you realize it.

- I can never get the camera to a point where I'm happy with it, I still don't understand why they removed tactical cam. I'm not seeing these lavishly detailed ceilings they supposedly devoted resources to instead.

- The stagger mechanic would be a lot cooler if the above didn't happen but instead it just ends up being an annoyance

- Kirkwall is decent but it is a huge bummer spending the majority of the game there. It's obvious this was a design decision due to the games one year development time and I can sympathize with them but it still sucks for me as a player

- Not sure how I feel about the new ability trees, I do like the attached grouping for improvements. It would be nice if the UI elements were properly sized for higher resolutions by the way

- Graphically the game looks better than the demo though I certainly question the usage of words like stunning from others

Anyway, not as bad as the demo but playing the full game didn't convince me either. Glad I saved the $60, I'll pick it up on sale sometime as it's just not worth it to me. Unlike ME2 this doesn't really feel like a natural evolution of the series, it feels like an offshoot. I didn't mind the Dark Alliance ARPG offshoot of Baldur's Gate because it was a separate entity, not a faux sequel.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2011, 09:45.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

87. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 08:05 sauron

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 09:51:
Dragon Age 2 release

I dare say, good chap, is this excrement fresh?

This made me lol at my desk this morning.

I'm not sure how Bioware managed to release DA, DA:O and DA2 in such a short space of time. The cynical side of me suspects it has something to do with the sounds of cash registers ringing.

I think they forgot that when trying to balance the interests of the dev team versus the marketing/sales team, the former is always the one to go with.

Kittens!

86. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 01:05 FloorPie

toT wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 18:04:
Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:08:
I think this sword design that looks straight out of Final Fantasy 7 says it all, almost like the dev team is actually trolling its fans.

Is that sword a giant... compass?!?

Soon to be in a dialogue wheel near you:
"Hi, I'm Geometry Fletch. And this is Miss Trigonometry Ross."

85. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 22:57 Jerykk

And people wonder why demo's aren't released. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

There are a lot of things they could have done to improve the demo. First and foremost, if they hadn't locked the difficulty to Normal, nobody would have complained about the combat being too easy. They shouldn't have locked the inventory either. Or most of the game options. They should have also made sure that the DX10 and 11 modes actually worked correctly.

Rest assured, playing the game on Nightmare difficulty makes a huge difference. I still don't like the limited tactical camera or the other changes they've made but the combat is still challenging and tactical on the highest difficulty setting.

And the game looks pretty good on the highest detail settings + hi-res texture pack. A lot better than the demo, for sure.

84. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 22:38 Agent.X7

Loved DAO. Really loving DAII. I like the streamlined combat and character management. Also liking the DA Facebook game on my phone. Earning some bonus items in my short breaks between classes is great. I wish WoW would do something like that instead of grind based daily quests.

That said, I was a bit concerned after I first installed it. Then I hit their forums and found out I need the beta NVidia drivers and the texture download pack. After that, ran great, looked great.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

83. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 22:06 StingingVelvet

Don't feel like reading 82 posts of negativity right now but I will say 3 or so hours in I am feeling a bit more like the combat was intended to be played solo and hack-n-slashy. It still works as a tactical RPG, but I am feeling more of that "shoehorning it in" thing than I felt in the demo. Still, on hard the second ogre handed me my ass three times in a row.

Oh, and the game is fucking GORGEOUS on max settings with the texture pack. I mean really, I think it looks stunning both in design and technical aspects.

82. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 21:49 nin

even had my daughter pick it up since I'm home with the flu.

I hope you get to feeling better. I had it in January, and with a 102 temp, it kicked my ass. Don't think I've ever felt that bad in my entire life...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

81. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 21:24 Paranoid Jack

OMG! WTF!

The demo(s) played fine even though it was clear the PC version got the short end of the stick. In other words not as much attention as the console version. It was noticeably better looking on the PS3 over the X-Box 360. And the PC version felt kind of lacking. Well against my better judgement I kept my pre-order for the PC... even had my daughter pick it up since I'm home with the flu.

I installed the game and jumped through all the hoops (repeatedly) to register my copy on the EA and Bioware sites so that I could get my Signature Edition goodies.

For some reason the password and e-mail address I've been using for two years... since EA started requiring all these log-ins for games... well, it didn't work. So after twenty minutes I finally got my old info to take and thought I had registered the game. I had with one site...

Then I tried to redeem my code for the extra items and DLC at the Bioware site. Shit, that didn't work either. Every time I logged in and tried to register my PC version of DA2 (yeah, I thought I just registered the damn thing) it looped me back to the log-in screen. I was getting pissed off after almost an hour of this shit before they fixed their broke dick site.

Cool, I've jumped all their hurdles and jump them again.... and again. The game is installed. It's telling me to refresh my wallet to get the Signature Edition goodies. So I load up the game and the config program scans my system. I set my graphics to my preference. Close and save. Double click the II icon....

.... and it crashes on boot up. SWEET!

80. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 20:25 Bumpy

Risen and latest Divinity 2. Much better games than this.  

79. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 20:08 nin

you conclusions are base on your own very limited exposure to the game as well as your own personal bias.

My conclusion is based on what Bioware chose to show. Which was crap.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

78. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 19:24 Marvin T. Martian

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 17:28:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 17:20:
The WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance sure loves to park at Blue's.

The 1st legitimate reviews are more positive than what has been posted by most here. And guess what-they have actually played the game.

So you're saying all the things broken in the demo are magically fixed in the retail game?

Yep-- the short pre-release'demo' doesnt' show all the game can do or it's options. Read a couple of the posts from those that have played both. So unless you have access to both and have actually compared and tried both, you conclusions are base on your own very limited exposure to the game as well as your own personal bias.

That being said--of course it may not be what PC gamers expect--but that's the norm now due to the dumbing down for the console peeps.

77. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 18:04 toT

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:08:
I think this sword design that looks straight out of Final Fantasy 7 says it all, almost like the dev team is actually trolling its fans.

Is that sword a giant... compass?!?

76. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 17:52 Fion

I got the game for my birthday, which I'm glad I did because I was really unsure if I wanted to spend $60 on the game. If my decision was based upon the demo I probably wouldn't have. But thankfully the game is a good bit more enjoyable. Many of the bugs and quirks about the demo are not in the final release and the 'core' gameplay (the questing, npc dialog, etc) is still quite similar to the original, with the combat being the largest difference. But now that I've been able to play around with it a lot more I'm rather enjoying it. Really all the demo displays is the combat and that is so different in many respects as to be completely jarring and off putting. But the full game is so much more than just the combat.

So yea if your on the fence about the game, play it for a bit at a friends house or something. The demo just doesn't really give a good idea of how the game plays besides the combat. As well the game has clearly been simplified. The crafting is handled by NPCs, you just gather ingredients and get new schematics for stuff in loot, etc. Which IMHO is kinda stupid because it's exactly the same only you have to interact with an NPC where as before you just hit a button on your keyboard. The UI is pretty simplistic but really it feels solid enough and the inventory is a 'lot' better than the original game. The only thing I dislike otherwise so far is that you cannot outfit your companions besides simple things like weapon/shield. Oh and the use of a dialog wheel means your pretty hamstrung when it comes to dialog with 'usually' three choices. Agree, Make a joke, Disagree. There is very little subtlety to any choice you make and while sometimes DA:O's dialog got a little long, you generally felt you had a wide variety of conversation choices that could lead in any number of directions. So simplifying things down to yes, no or mr smart ass kinda sucks but the writing and voice acting is good enough that it could have been much worse.

And yes having a girlfriend who will actually buy you a video game for your birthday is the shit. I really recommend everyone try it.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2011, 18:05.

115 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo