Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Develop - Shouldn't big games adapt to busy life.
I'm not proposing that games are too difficult. Like I said, it's pretty likely that people complete games nowadays. What's a problem for me (and according to the 30-something-as-average-gamer stats, I am the norm), is that I'll follow the difficulty curve of a game, building on what I learned yesterday; perhaps delving slightly deeper into a more complex control system, only to put the game down for a week (because us 30-somethings have things to do, ok?), and be faced with the nightmare challenge of being inserted back into the game at a point way above my skill level. Actually, I'm not just talking about the difficulty curve, it's the story, orientation, familiarity with the sheer availability of options open to me, and even more on a game-by-game basis.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2011, 04:34 Jerykk

The author must have really poor memory. It's really not that hard to remember a game's story or characters after a week of absence. Hell, I've resumed games after months (sometimes even years) of not playing and it took me about 10 minutes to catch up. Same with relearning the controls and brushing up on my skills.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2011, 01:02 hoolaparara

Shouldn't Ferrari make cheaper cars, I want a ferrari but they are so expensive, so they should make them all cheaper to suit me.

And Porsches too they're really expensive, they should make them all afforable by me..

And Rolls wow are they really expensive and they should make them all cheaper too so I can access them...

29. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 22:00 Ant

Fang wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 21:58:
The right solution is to make games shorter, and cheaper, and release more of them. Wins all around

The story is short, so those of us with limited time to play can actually get through the story. Cheaper, so more people buy the game, and since it's shorter, it should reduce the production time and you can release more games using the same engine.

For me, I don't care for stories/plots. I just want to play! These days, I don't care for cutscenes and stuff and skip them when I can like in Flash games.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 21:58 Fang

The right solution is to make games shorter, and cheaper, and release more of them. Wins all around

The story is short, so those of us with limited time to play can actually get through the story. Cheaper, so more people buy the game, and since it's shorter, it should reduce the production time and you can release more games using the same engine.

27. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 16:48 space captain

yeh watch your mouth bitch  
Go forth, and kill!

26. Re: removed Mar 8, 2011, 16:12 PHJF

OP is someone with whom I strongly disagree  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. removed Mar 8, 2011, 15:46 PHJF

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 8, 2011, 15:54.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 15:26 Wowbagger_TIP

I sometimes have to put a game down for a few weeks at a time. Especially those that tend to demand a longer playing session in order to enjoy. I can't really enjoy a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3 unless I have time to get re-immersed in it. That's the point of those games for me. If I only have half an hour a night, that's just not going to work.

So I tend to play something more casual when I have limited amounts of time. Something like Just Cause 2 or Monday Night Combat. When I come back to the bigger game, the only real problem I have is getting back into the story and remembering what I was doing and why I was doing it. Sometimes they have journals or something to help with that. But mostly it just takes a bit of time to get back into it.

I really agree with InBlack though. The games industry has already adapted to this, which is why there are so many games out there that can easily be played in small doses. They're dead simple to just pick up whenever and play. Unfortunately I tend to like deeper, more involved games. That's just something I have to deal with though.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 13:29 Bodolza

I've started to notice the same problem as the author. It's really only a problem with games that require you to memorize combos. If I don't play them for a few weeks, I'll have forgotten the combos, and also have lost the muscle memory. This is almost never a problem with FPS, since the controls are very similar. It's even less of a problem on PC games where I always remap the controls, so "throw grenade" is always the same key.

I don't think making the games easier is the solution, but more standard controls would help, and the ability to completely remap console buttons. Combo based games should really include a practice mode, as well.

22. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 13:21 Creston

It's because of people like this fuckstool that games are so fucking dumbed down nowadays.

"Should we have an advanced move in our game? No wait, we can't! Someone who only plays the game once a week might not remember the move!"

For fuck's sake...

I'm a 30-something, and funny enough my memory lasts longer than a fucking week, fraser fucking simpson. Maybe your real issue is that you need to pop some more ritalin to help with your attention span deficiency.

Creston

21. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 13:14 JoeNapalm

Anonymous wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:19:
I don't know about the rest of you, but games short of flight simulators simply aren't as complex as the author seems to think.

I think he suffers from a severe form of Noobitus and has always been a casual gamer.

Seriously. Do any of you ever suffer from being so inept as to find the learning curve of a video game too much? WTF game is there, short of a flight simulator, that is actually hard to learn to play?!!!!!!!!!

This guy is a CASUAL GAMER who clearly LACKS INTELLIGENCE. CHILDREN are better at learning to play games than this guy.

NOW if this guy says his lack of time isn't adequate to *get into a game*, or tends to FORGET WHERE HE IS in a game, OK, but it seems more like this guy is just retarded.

Yeah, you might be onto something.

I mean, I played Arkham Asylum...then stopped playing when I beat it. I later came back to it, to play some challenge levels.

First couple of rounds I got ruined, because I couldn't quite recall the controls ("Which is throw and which is grapple?! Ahh!").

Then I crushed my previous high score in short order.

Most games are like riding bicycles. Could be that the author is, in his mind, remembering himself as more skillful than he really ever was...

Or he's just a git.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 13:04 Silicon Avatar

I think games would benefit from a more development time being put into difficulty levels.

Instead of dumbing down the entire game for everyone, just dumb it down for people who want it that way.

19. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 13:02 Verno

That's part of the reason WoW raiding became such a chore. You aren't really doing anything interesting, you're just learning gimmicks and even if you learn the gimmick the real challenge is getting the whole raid group to execute it properly. It's the MMO equivalent of synchronized swimming. I prefer a more dynamic approach to things and that's the type of experience only PvP can provide.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

18. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:37 briktal

Anonymous wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:19:
I don't know about the rest of you, but games short of flight simulators simply aren't as complex as the author seems to think.

I think he suffers from a severe form of Noobitus and has always been a casual gamer.

Seriously. Do any of you ever suffer from being so inept as to find the learning curve of a video game too much? WTF game is there, short of a flight simulator, that is actually hard to learn to play?!!!!!!!!!

This guy is a CASUAL GAMER who clearly LACKS INTELLIGENCE. CHILDREN are better at learning to play games than this guy.

NOW if this guy says his lack of time isn't adequate to *get into a game*, or tends to FORGET WHERE HE IS in a game, OK, but it seems more like this guy is just retarded.

I think it's just that games have more gimmicks than they had 10-15 years ago and whenever you pick a game up again, you have to pick up a little bit more than you might've needed to in the past.

17. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:20 Ant

Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:11:
Also you simply play less games than you used to and become a bit choosier about the ones you do play. The former should happen naturally as you age, I would hope.

Yup, time becomes the issue, not money, so in theory you consume less but are willing to pay more for it.

And you make tough decisions. As some here know I bought Dragon Age shortly after it came out. Haven't played it yet. It looks like a game that will take some time to get into. I don't necessarily have that time. Instead I replayed Oblivion when I wanted a time consuming RPG. I knew I'd jump right in, knew what I'd get, knew I'd enjoy it, and knew I could play for 30 minute bursts if necessary.

I don't condemn Dragon Age for being a more complex RPG. I just need to wait until I'm in the right place for it.
Same problem with Oblivion. I only got to the sewer level. I had the game since its release week!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:19 Hyatus

I agree with most of his points. Even action games like, say, God of War should have a "story so far" page that updates as you progress through the game. And while RPGs of late have taken to giving you journals to read through, they are usually quite a mess and the details are less story-oriented and seem like a to-do list. A to-do list is helpful for the actions you are doing but not for the reasoning behind them.

I do, however, disagree with the difficulty argument. Sure, it takes a little getting used to for 15 or so minutes to jump back into a game. But, you would be taking that time reading about everything you'd have to do anyways. I guess the solution here would be to have a tutorial level you can always access that explains the basics and then jump you right back into the game.

It's a hard balance these days for us 30-somethings and up to please everybody including ourselves with our limited time. But, we've still got money to buy games so please keep catering to us.

15. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:19 Lit_Reflex001

14. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:11 Beamer

Also you simply play less games than you used to and become a bit choosier about the ones you do play. The former should happen naturally as you age, I would hope.

Yup, time becomes the issue, not money, so in theory you consume less but are willing to pay more for it.

And you make tough decisions. As some here know I bought Dragon Age shortly after it came out. Haven't played it yet. It looks like a game that will take some time to get into. I don't necessarily have that time. Instead I replayed Oblivion when I wanted a time consuming RPG. I knew I'd jump right in, knew what I'd get, knew I'd enjoy it, and knew I could play for 30 minute bursts if necessary.

I don't condemn Dragon Age for being a more complex RPG. I just need to wait until I'm in the right place for it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 11:39 Ant

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:36:
Heh, for me... I just don't play them at all anymore.

Ugh, Blue's Flash game links suck this week so far. Awesome games over the weekend though!

12. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 11:36 Verno

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo