Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

There are floods and flood warnings all over this area after a weekend of heavy rains. Thankfully this isn't the 'house swept away' sort of flooding that some people have suffered, but more of the cars stranded in waist-deep water sort of flooding. Our immediate vicinity is in pretty good shape, as we're close to the Hudson river which receives more than it gives in such circumstances. Our house in particular, however, suffered a little last night, as the basement started flooding, the first time in quite a while we suffered with this. I had to do some serious bailing to get water out of the WTF hole in the basement floor. The odd thing is the water was spouting up through a thumb-sized hole next to the WTF hole like a geyser. In one of those "it can't be that easy" moments, I jammed a cork in the smaller hole, which actually seemed to stem the flooding. Weird.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: GemCraft Labyrinth.
Rombo Rush.
Links: The Ten Most Perfectly Cast Superhero Roles.
10 Memorable Accidents in Videogame History.
Stories: FBI, Secret Service duke it out on the ice. Thanks brother19.
Overheard [sic] locker tot outrage.
Science: Rock-Paper-Scissors: You vs. the Computer. I was 5-3-2 vs expert.
Ibuprofen 'cuts Parkinson's disease risk'.
Women's lung cancers has doubled since 1970s in over-60s.
Media: POV of Motorcycle Versus Deer at 85 MPH. NSFW.
Archie Bunker Makes Portal Reference in 1974.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 21:24 Kxmode

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 11:24:
2-7-1 vs expert

Was that not the dimensions for the monolith in 2001?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 20:01 sliv

8-10-3 vs expert.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 19:04 xXBatmanXx

Wow....just having a great day.
My PS3 YLoD.......

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 18:13 shul

Blue, I suggest you make sure there is no on going mold problem in your basement , that's a common problem in this situations..

Also, I didn't get the description, can you post a picture of the two holes side by side when you have the time ?

thnx

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 16:49 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 7, 2011, 14:35:
POV of Motorcycle Versus Deer at 85 MPH. NSFW.

That is ONE LUCKY SOB!

No kidding. Damn. that poor deer got flung like a hundred yards or so!

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 16:28 xXBatmanXx

STUPID FUGGIN PHONE!!!

HTC Tilt 2. Dropped it last night. Picked it up, put the battery back in, and started it up. Went to put the pw in and it says "password not valid". hmmm try again. Nope.

I look online and it is a common problem. WTF!?"

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 16:09 banddirector

Just replaced an old utility pump that I used to pump out my flooding driveway with one that has a sensor in it to make it more automatic: It starts every 3 minutes; if it senses it's pumping something it keeps running until dry, otherwise it shuts off after a few seconds. Hopefully this will work as intended so I don't have to keep checking to see if a lake is forming out there ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 14:35 xXBatmanXx

POV of Motorcycle Versus Deer at 85 MPH. NSFW.

That is ONE LUCKY SOB!

9. basement floodings Mar 7, 2011, 14:32 Jim

That's the same madness nearly everyone in Rhode Island went through last March (Google Image search "Warwick Mall Flood" to see how bad it got).

These events make me question the sanity of anyone who thinks basements are still a good idea in new home construction. If it doesn't flood this year, the next time it does flood is a year closer.

Jim

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 13:17 Creston

5-3-5 vs expert right now, and getting bored. I started off 0-0-3.

It's funny in that it uses all statistical data to predict YOU, but in doing so it becomes sort of predictable itself.

Still pretty cool.

Creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 11:30 sauron

2-6-2 vs expert. Either it's surprisingly smart, or I'm overthinking the game.  

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 11:24 nin

2-7-1 vs expert

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 11:16 mazling

50-35-41 vs veteran. Quite clever isn't it ;-)  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 11:12 RoboNerd

Re: "Overheard locker tot outrage"

Did spell check just fail The Herald Sun?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 10:40 nin

i have two of those in my house: one in the front and one in the back. they have to be roto-rootered once a year or they get clogged (thank you, tree root).

Exact same issue here. Wonder if Blue has had that done?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 10:37 scorsese.fan

i have two of those in my house: one in the front and one in the back. they have to be roto-rootered once a year or they get clogged (thank you, tree root). when you open those caps, its like something outta 'the ten commandments'. the sewage seems to flow from back to front and out under the street. and if you need to get another one of those caps, it costs about eight bucks.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2011, 10:05 The Half Elf

Hey Blue you thought about a sub pump in that hole? I have the same sorta hole in my basement (with pump).  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo