Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Guard Beta

Valve's just announced Steam Guard system is now in beta. Word is: "As a Steam account holder, you can now take advantage of this additional level of account security, further prohibiting others from gaining access to your account. As a beta participant, once you've verified your email address with Steam, Steam Guard becomes available for your use and is enabled for your Steam account by default." To demonstrate the security this provides, Gabe Newell gives out his username and password at Cebit (thanks VG247 via Reddit).

View
10. Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 09:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 08:35:
I wasn't talking about it being used as a DRM, I was talking about it being used as a security feature for the users.
Yes, you somehow believe this will only be a benefit to users, and not used in any way to increase control over future games. I believe you are mistaken.

I don't believe you're grasping what I am talking about.

Valve's use of cloud computing is not meant for control, but the ability for someone to access their information on a non-primary system. In other words, I can access my Steam information on a friends computer if I am visiting them.

I understand the stated purpose of cloud computing, and also what it actually boils down to: formerly private data stored elsewhere, under someone else's control.

This doesn't do anything you couldn't do before, with minor effort, aka a floppy disc or CD-R or email, sending/taking game saves/info to another location. Steam already allowed you to log in with your account name at any computer obviously. Does cloud computing make this easier for less tech savvy people? Sure. Is giving up control in any way acceptable for the minor increase in convenience? Not in my opinion.

4) You brought up the main hassle yourself, for most users: how to change to a new hardware group. Is this going to be ridiculously annoying? Probably.

Based on Valve's previous changes to Steam, it's probably going to start rough but quickly smooth out. I wouldn't expect it to be any more difficult than it is to 're-activate' Windows.

I guess we differ on what is tolerable, for no appreciable gain? Hopefully this system ends up like you imagine, a beneficial added security layer, not a huge hassle and eventual new games tied to one machine through Steam, as I suspect.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 5, 19:59 Re: Steam Guard Beta jimnms
  2. Mar 5, 20:50  Re: Steam Guard Beta eRe4s3r
  3. Mar 5, 21:59 Re: Steam Guard Beta KilrathiAce
  4. Mar 5, 22:31  Re: Steam Guard Beta Kajetan
  5. Mar 5, 22:47   Re: Steam Guard Beta MoreLuckThanSkill
  6. Mar 6, 04:37    Re: Steam Guard Beta DarkCntry
  7. Mar 6, 07:48     Re: Steam Guard Beta MoreLuckThanSkill
  8. Mar 6, 08:35      Re: Steam Guard Beta DarkCntry
  9. Mar 6, 08:44       Re: Steam Guard Beta Overon
>> 10. Mar 6, 09:55       Re: Steam Guard Beta MoreLuckThanSkill