Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gilbert Would "Love" Maniac Mansion Rerelease

Eurogamer reports Double Fine's Ron Gilbert told GDC attendees he would "love" to see LucasArts rerelease Maniac Mansion, saying "I would love for them to re-release Maniac Mansion the same way they did the Monkey Island games. I think that would be really neat." The original Maniac Mansion was released by LucasFilm Games for Commodore 64 and Apple II back in 1987. "I've often thought it would be fun to go through the game and fix a lot of the problems I mentioned and get the puzzle structure more like we did in Monkey Island," he said. "But then other times I think 'do I really want to do that?' Maybe the game really needs to have those flaws. Isn't that a little bit like George Lucas going back and fixing all those problems with Star Wars? Maybe the game really needs to be what it is back then."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 7, 2011, 09:42 wtf_man

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 13:42:
Dosbox? ScummVM my brother!

As for the changes, I'm just not big on remakes or texture packs or whatever else, I like to play games as they were originally presented.

I think the last time I played the original Monkey Island 1 and 2 was in the late 90's... ScummVM wasn't out yet.

Anyway... I did enjoy the remakes. I think it's the right direction to go for modern humorous adventure games... Unlike Monkey Island 3 and 4, which lost all the charm going fully "3D". I don't think 3D works very well in Adventure games (other than Grim Fandango... and that was only the characters... the backgrounds were all 2D).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Gilbert Would "Love" Maniac Mansion Rerelease Mar 7, 2011, 07:50 avianflu

the first one is by far the better one. And that's the one almost no one played.

It has about 6 (?) different endings and all are worth seeing. My fave is when the tentacle gets the meteor.

13. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 7, 2011, 00:26 Sepharo

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 22:10:
I never played the original MM... well, I have briefly loaded it up on ScummVM, but never played it extensively. Before my time.

I'll play it eventually though. I don't need a remake, I personally prefer the original versions of the Monkey Island games to the remakes.

We used to play Maniac Mansion in "computer lab" back in elementary school. I remember being the first one to actually ever enter the house once I found the key.

But I ended up getting my true fill and eventually beating it via the in-game computer in Day of the Tentacle. Who doesn't love playin' games inside of other games?

12. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 6, 2011, 13:42 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 10:35:
I don't see anything wrong with the remakes. I enjoyed not having to run dosbox and the higher res images. The voice acting and UI changes weren't necessary... but not a hindrance either.

Dosbox? ScummVM my brother!

As for the changes, I'm just not big on remakes or texture packs or whatever else, I like to play games as they were originally presented.

11. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 6, 2011, 13:33  Blue 

Mead wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 10:24:
What Lucas "fixed" weren't problems.

Han shot first, goddamnit!

I think that's the point he was making, which is why he related it to the sentence that followed:

"Isn't that a little bit like George Lucas going back and fixing all those problems with Star Wars? Maybe the game really needs to be what it is back then."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

10. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 6, 2011, 10:35 wtf_man

Kosumo wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 19:55:
I thought there would be crying about Tie-Fighter by now? You guys are slipping

I know you are joking... but...

1. The topic is about the Adventure Game genre.
2. Ron Gilbert had nothing to do with the Star Wars series at Lucas Arts.

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 18:06:
Yeah, and we'd love to see some new Outlaws and Grim Fandango too but LA has its head too far up its ass to ever do something common sense like this.

Amen!

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 22:10:
I don't need a remake, I personally prefer the original versions of the Monkey Island games to the remakes.

I don't see anything wrong with the remakes. I enjoyed not having to run dosbox and the higher res images. The voice acting and UI changes weren't necessary... but not a hindrance either.

I'd love to see an updated Grim Fandango. They wouldn't have to do much to the graphics except work on higher res monitors... they just need to get it to run properly on modern machines... some of the puzzles are timed to the CPU and are impossible on a modern machine without mo'slo or something similar.

9. Re: Gilbert Would "Love" Maniac Mansion Rerelease Mar 6, 2011, 10:24 Mead

What Lucas "fixed" weren't problems.

Han shot first, goddamnit!

8. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 6, 2011, 04:22 StingingVelvet

Domgrief wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 02:14:
I think Mr Gilbert's ambivalence is quite justified. As nice as it would be to have it re-imagined for the 21st century... was the game really that good?

In its time it was one of the best games available, but our expectations for plot, writing and humour are very different to what they were around the time during Sierra and Lucasarts' heyday.

Very few adventure games since the Lucasarts heyday have been half as well written as they were.

7. Re: Gilbert Would "Love" Maniac Mansion Rerelease Mar 6, 2011, 02:14 Domgrief

I think Mr Gilbert's ambivalence is quite justified. As nice as it would be to have it re-imagined for the 21st century... was the game really that good?

In its time it was one of the best games available, but our expectations for plot, writing and humour are very different to what they were around the time during Sierra and Lucasarts' heyday.

6. Re: Gilbert Would "Love" Maniac Mansion Rerelease Mar 5, 2011, 22:10 StingingVelvet

I never played the original MM... well, I have briefly loaded it up on ScummVM, but never played it extensively. Before my time.

I'll play it eventually though. I don't need a remake, I personally prefer the original versions of the Monkey Island games to the remakes.

5. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 5, 2011, 20:34 ASeven

space captain wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 18:04:
zak mckraken

This and Maniac Mansion would be even better than Monkey Island. Man, how many hours I lost on my C64 trying to finish both. True classics.

4. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 5, 2011, 19:55 Kosumo

I thought there would be crying about Tie-Fighter by now? You guys are slipping  

3. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 5, 2011, 18:26 nin

If they included the option the toggle back to the original version, like Monkey Island, I'd be ecstatic.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Gilbert Would "Love" Maniac Mansion Rerelease Mar 5, 2011, 18:06 Cutter

Yeah, and we'd love to see some new Outlaws and Grim Fandango too but LA has its head too far up its ass to ever do something common sense like this.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Gilbert Would Mar 5, 2011, 18:04 space captain

zak mckraken  
Go forth, and kill!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo