Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II - Retribution Patched

Steam News announces the promised patch for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution is now automatically available, updating the just-released real-time strategy expansion. The change list follows.

• Players no longer need to wait for all of their enemies to leave the game in order to be able to select Continue on the post game stats screen
  • Fixed an issue that could cause users to become stuck on the post game stats screen after using the Link button and selecting Continue
  • Fixed an issue that could cause users to suddenly drop to the Main Menu from the post game stats screen
  • A full party of 3 should now instantly enter a Last Stand match instead of searching for one
  • The name field of a new campaign will now be pre-populated with the race chosen
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the AI from displaying custom badges
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the preview for the Imperial Guard Laser turret arc from displaying
  • Optimized texture mipmapping to improve memory performance on High visual settings and below

View
1. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Patched Mar 3, 2011, 20:38 Flatline

I have mixed feelings about Retribution.

I like the game a lot, and there's been some improvements here and there (the honor guard alt units were badass) but at the end of the day I miss having the built-in squads. Controlling 4 individual heroes seems anemic.

The other issue I have is that you kind of lose the whole point of the squad-based combat in DoW2, where you only controlled 4 or 5 groups, but each of those groups had a lot of options within them. Now, I'm controlling like 8-10 squads, and each only has one or two abilities/options. I'm just not feeling it any more. The second half of the Imperial Guard campaign was more or less "spawn a guardsman unit, equip with flamers or plasma if you have it, spam the lemun russ tank drop that your commander gets, fill in with occasional shock troop or heavy weapon squad". Then I'd select all, hit a for attack-move, and go swarm the enemy.

The single player game feels less focused from it, which is a major pity.

Maybe a merging of the two where squads attached to your heroes would have worked better.

Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
>> 1. Mar 3, 20:38 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Patched Flatline
  2. Mar 4, 03:00 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Patched entr0py

footer

Blue's News logo