Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Announces Steam Guard

Valve Corporation announces a new Steamworks feature called Steam Guard, which sounds like a deodorant or an account security feature. It turns out to be the latter, as they say this "allows users to link management of their account to a specific PC. Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval." They say Steam Guard, which will be available to third-party developers, will also support Intel's upcoming Identity Protection Technology, a hardware encryption scheme for 2nd Generation Intel Core CPUS that replaces the need for an external key generator. "Account phishing and hijacking are our #1 support issues," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "With Intel's IPT and Steam Guard, we've taken a big step towards giving customers the account security they need as they purchase more and more digital goods." As an aside, this is the first time we've seen Gabe referred to as Valve's President, as his title has always been Managing Director. We've inquired about this fairly unimportant distinction, but have yet to receive a reply.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

4. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:42 necrosis

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:33:
Hyatus wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:23:
Also, I'm kind of curious what happens when a PC dies and you can no longer log into it.

Eh yeah, that was my immediate worry too. I like the idea in and of itself, but what kind of recovery options are there?

Creston
Yeah that is always my first question about security like this.

What happens if it "breaks"?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:33 Creston

Hyatus wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:23:
Also, I'm kind of curious what happens when a PC dies and you can no longer log into it.

Eh yeah, that was my immediate worry too. I like the idea in and of itself, but what kind of recovery options are there?

Creston

2. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:26 El Pit

Wow, this is soooo much better than announcing "Half-Life 2: Episode 3" or even "Half-Life 3". Thank you, Valve! Thank you very, very much.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

1. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:23 Hyatus

I wouldn't mind this as an optional feature, but I hope it's not a requirement. Also, I'm kind of curious what happens when a PC dies and you can no longer log into it.

I also use multiple computers in the house for Steam so I don't mind it informing me that a computer is trying to log into my Steam account, but it better still let me do it.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo