Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Announces Steam Guard

Valve Corporation announces a new Steamworks feature called Steam Guard, which sounds like a deodorant or an account security feature. It turns out to be the latter, as they say this "allows users to link management of their account to a specific PC. Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval." They say Steam Guard, which will be available to third-party developers, will also support Intel's upcoming Identity Protection Technology, a hardware encryption scheme for 2nd Generation Intel Core CPUS that replaces the need for an external key generator. "Account phishing and hijacking are our #1 support issues," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "With Intel's IPT and Steam Guard, we've taken a big step towards giving customers the account security they need as they purchase more and more digital goods." As an aside, this is the first time we've seen Gabe referred to as Valve's President, as his title has always been Managing Director. We've inquired about this fairly unimportant distinction, but have yet to receive a reply.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:35 aphistic

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 14:30:
Zyrxil wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 14:19:

Again, what? This is about changing account settings, not locking games to a specific PC.

no but it sets up the infrastructure for locking games in place more than it does any sort of account management protection. you'd be wise to be wary of some rape lurking behind this announcement. it'd be foolish to think otherwise with all the attention and effort this project seems to have behind it.

Hang on, let me get your tin foil hat for you...

Reducing the number of support requests for their #1 support issue is worth "all the attention and effort this project seems to have behind it" solely due to the cost savings of not having to support that issue as much any more. They have millions of users, if a small percentage of those open support tickets for account security issues, that translates into big bucks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:34 necrosis

Virus wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 14:16:
It's painless on iTunes until the recovery fails and doesn't grab all of your music. I've been going back and forth with Apple's customer service for almost two years now trying to get back an album I bought on the iTunes store just after the iPhone launched. Luckily I was able to recover the album via torrent (after paying full retail price) because Apple certainly didn't give a flying fuck.

(If you've ever wondered why Apple products are "bug free", the expression is "deny till you die")
This must have been many moons ago being iTunes music has not hat DRM for at least 2-3 years.

22. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:32 necrosis

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:54:
Hyatus wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:23:
Also, I'm kind of curious what happens when a PC dies and you can no longer log into it.

They can do the same thing apple does with Itunes. You can log into your account management and reset the activated computers.

Limit the amount of resets to 2-3 times a year or whatever, if need more resets you have to contact support.
5 machines can be active and you get 1 reset a year.

21. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:30 TurdFergasun

Again, what? This is about changing account settings, not locking games to a specific PC.

no but it sets up the infrastructure for locking games in place more than it does any sort of account management protection. you'd be wise to be wary of some rape lurking behind this announcement. it'd be foolish to think otherwise with all the attention and effort this project seems to have behind it.

20. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:29 DangerDog

Zyrxil wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:55:
DangerDog wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:47:
Your game purchase has been locked to the PC you're using, for security purposes of course.

Developers would never abuse such a system.

What the what?

Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval.

If it's just for extra account security then what would be the point of making it available to "third-party developers"? What does EA / Activision / Ubisoft etc have to do with your Steam account security?

Sounds to me like it could also be implemented into some form of extra DRM in the name of "Identity Protection". Imagine the next Activision Call of Duty that implements this system, no need for CD-Keys as the game is locked to your PC hardware.

19. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:25 Zyrxil

Yes, Management, as in your account password, email, and CC info.  

18. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:21 SpectralMeat

this "allows users to link management of their account to a specific PC

Steam: SpectralMeat

17. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:19 Zyrxil

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 14:13:
As long as this is optional, then thats cool, Valve needs to realize some people travel and often use more than 1 pc with their steam account, especially for smaller indie games.

16. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:16 Virus

It's painless on iTunes until the recovery fails and doesn't grab all of your music. I've been going back and forth with Apple's customer service for almost two years now trying to get back an album I bought on the iTunes store just after the iPhone launched. Luckily I was able to recover the album via torrent (after paying full retail price) because Apple certainly didn't give a flying fuck.

(If you've ever wondered why Apple products are "bug free", the expression is "deny till you die")

15. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:15 SpectralMeat

I don't think they said anything about limiting the number of PCs you can activate your Steam account on, with the account owner's approval of course.  

14. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:14 Bumpy

El Pit wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:26:
Wow, this is soooo much better than announcing "Half-Life 2: Episode 3" or even "Half-Life 3". Thank you, Valve! Thank you very, very much.

Indeed. Valve is pretty much just a Steam service now.

13. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:13 KilrathiAce

As long as this is optional, then thats cool, Valve needs to realize some people travel and often use more than 1 pc with their steam account, especially for smaller indie games.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

12. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:08 Wildone

I already had my TF2 backpack looted ad vavle locked me out of my own account, did nothing about the theft. Luckily I didn't purchase any of those items  

11. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:02 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:54:
They can do the same thing apple does with Itunes. You can log into your account management and reset the activated computers.

Limit the amount of resets to 2-3 times a year or whatever, if need more resets you have to contact support.

Yeah exactly. I was surprised at how painless this process was for iTunes of all things.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

10. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:58 vermin

but does it protect your steam account from valve  

9. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:55 Zyrxil

DangerDog wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:47:
Your game purchase has been locked to the PC you're using, for security purposes of course.

What the what?

Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval.

8. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:54 SpectralMeat

Hyatus wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:23:
Also, I'm kind of curious what happens when a PC dies and you can no longer log into it.

7. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:48 baltar

It would be nice if they had a option to manage which computers are, shall we say "authorized managerial computers" versus normal computers that cant change settings. That way if I have more than one comp at home, I can make all my comps at home "authorized managerial computers"

If one comp breaks, I can go into the other one to manage steam at least.

6. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:47 DangerDog

5. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:46 nin

I'd take a keyring fob like what Blizzard offers over this...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo