Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Loot Drop

VentureBeat has a profile of Loot Drop, the new social gaming developer recently formed by John Romero and Tom Hall. They say the company now has 11 employees, including recent addition Brenda Brathwaite, and their goal is to launch four games this year, with their first game due "in the coming months." It sounds like after helping create a couple of the most successful shooters in history (DOOM, QUAKE), as well as one of the genre's more notorious flops (Daikatana), The Romero is committed to more casual gaming: "We have satisfied hardcore gamers for decades. Now itís time for the rest of the world. Our opportunity is to teach the rest of the world how to play games."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 4, 2011, 09:36 Burrito of Peace

space captain wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 16:43:
whatever happened to that russian mail order bride he got?

Clearly she couldn't make a game to save her "relationship".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 21:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 18:12:
That's a lot of hate there.

Doom was a masterpiece, and Romero largely crafted it. Doom wouldn't have been nearly as popular without the atmosphere. It went beyond technology.

And, despite id not releasing a decent game in over 10 years, I'd still take them over Raven's games using their engine.
That was almost 20 years ago. What's he done since then? While Doom was a great game for the time, that was still largely due to the technology and the fact that the entire concept was still new. He doesn't seem to have evolved with gaming.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 19:30 heroin

"whatever happened to that russian mail order bride he got?"

How's our local troll? I see you guys are keeping it well fed.

22. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 18:12 Beamer

That's a lot of hate there.

Doom was a masterpiece, and Romero largely crafted it. Doom wouldn't have been nearly as popular without the atmosphere. It went beyond technology.

And, despite id not releasing a decent game in over 10 years, I'd still take them over Raven's games using their engine.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 18:06 Wraith

I find this perpetually irritating.

John Romero is one of the most overrated hacks in the entire gaming industry. Bar none. The guy has no grasp of any game mechanic besides deathmatch.

I'm not kidding. ID's games have always prospered on the strength of their technology - they owe their success entirely to John Carmack. Their game design has been laughably poor.

Doom - you shoot things which try and kill you. Quake - you pick up keys and open doors, then you shoot things which try and kill you. Doom III - You shoot things which have mysteriously locked themselves inside closets to wait for your arrival.

ID has no ability to craft a narrative, nor do they understand gameplay mechanics, incentive and longevity. Quake 3 Arena typifies ID's thinking. You shoot things which shoot back.

ID makes the engines, then Raven makes a decent game using them. Because sure as shit, ID does NOT have a clue.

Romero has never demonstrated any gameplay innovation - hell, the guy doesn't even understand the gameplay basics which drive Deus Ex, BioShock, Darksiders, Company of Heroes, Thief, Diablo II or Dead Space. On the contrary, he consistently demonstrates his inability to understand anything beyond moment-to-moment reaction-based gameplay.

Deus Ex and Anachronox were the only two good things to ever come out of Ion Storm - and it's notable that John Romero had nothing to do with either of them.

I had high hopes for Rage, but I strongly suspect ID is going to show they've not learned anything in the last 20 years. If Rage is another linear experience in which all the player has to show for his efforts his progress *through* that linear experience, then it'll be time - yet again - to wait for someone else to pick up the tech and craft an interesting game with it.

As for Romero? Who really gives a fuck. Romero is to Warren Spector as a flea is to a colossus. His latest outpouring of self-importance is irrelevant.

20. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 16:43 space captain

Blue wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:29:
I'm torn over whether this should be dignified with an answer, but Brenda actually is currently in a relationship with John. I think it needs to be said that your comment seems unfair, as she has more than enough game development credibility to warrant working in any number of studios.

whatever happened to that russian mail order bride he got?

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 15:43 Beamer

she has more than enough game development credibility to warrant working in any number of studios.

Indeed. Wizardry, Jagged Alliance, the Chair at SCAD...

Did I mention Jagged Alliance? Did anyone else read that instruction manual? It was actually funny.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 15:36 Cutter

Decades, eh? Heh, yeah. So if you could just go ahead and do that, that'd be great, yeah. And I'll make sure you get another copy of that memo.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 15:33 Burrito of Peace

All done in sarcasm, Blue.

Though I guess that shouldn't be a surprise with the shenanigans that happened during his time at Ion Storm.

16. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 15:29  Blue 

The Advocate wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:20:
Their logo makes me want to punch a puppy and kick a baby.

Also, which of the three did Brenda sleep with to get that job?

I'm torn over whether this should be dignified with an answer, but Brenda actually is currently in a relationship with John. I think it needs to be said that your comment seems unfair, as she has more than enough game development credibility to warrant working in any number of studios.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 15:20 Burrito of Peace

Their logo makes me want to punch a puppy and kick a baby.

Also, which of the three did Brenda sleep with to get that job?

14. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 14:46 Carcifier

The correct mocking of this story is...

"John Romero is going to make your grandma his bitch!"

How will he do this? With a rocket launcher strapped to a toad's back! That one was for you Billy! RIP

13. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 14:41 kylania

Wow, what a horrible logo. Why any company would want a company logo that made people physically uncomfortable to look at it is beyond me.  

12. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 14:07 rist3903

Translation:

"We can't get hardcore gamers to take us seriously anymore, so we are going to avoid making anything they would be interested in."

11. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 12:48 Mead

He certainly hasn't lost any of his signature arrogance...  

10. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 12:25 Optional nickname

This goes to eleven.  

9. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 12:23 Lit_Reflex001

They better pray they can get Facebook to take their product.  

8. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 12:00 MajorD

Do you think he is going to make the 'rest of the world' HIS BITCH!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that jab!!!

7. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 11:46 SpectralMeat

Daikatana 2 FTW !  

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 11:40 nin

"Our opportunity is to teach the rest of the world how to play games to be my bitch."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo