Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Braben Still Wants Elite 4

Frontier Developments' David Braben conducted a postmortem of Elite at the Game Developers Conference, discussing the classic space combat game, notes PC Gamer. When asked about Elite 4, he says the possibility of another installment in the series lives after all these years. When asked if Elite 4 is "still on the table," he said: "Yes. It would be a tragedy for it not to be."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 4, 2011, 07:20 stingray

Seems to me David Braben still likes to ride on that wave of past success.

The problem I see is that the gamers that used to play Elite are slowly but surely growing out of playing video games altogether. Back then he didn't have the means to create a AAA title, now he does, but space games have been relegated to a niche market over the years which have too little ROI to be worth the risk. It looks very unlikely that Elite IV will ever get released.

I look forward to DNF though, whenever it does come out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 20:45 Theo

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 10:33:
Elite 4 has been rumored to be in development for more than a dozen years. Where everyone's been picking on DNF as the ultimate vaporware, Elite 4 really should have taken that crown.

It's never going to appear.

Creston

Tell me about it, i REALLY wish they would just shut the fuck up untill its done. Or, Just shut the fuck up period. Elite 1 was a large part of my childhood, i loved the game.

But the boat has sailed - stop teasing unless prepared to back it the hell up.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

10. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 17:59 Wikidd

Braben did develop First Encounters. The reason why it was so buggy was because the publisher decided to ship an alpha build so they could have it out in time for Christmas.

That resulted in a lawsuit that was settled out of court, one would expect heavily in Braben's favour.

9. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 12:59 Doma

where can one watch all these talks that happened during gdc?  

8. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 11:08 Wildone

I tend to agree..unfortunately:(

Elite would never have existed by todays conventions..what a game that takes patience and effort?!?W AAA WAAA WAAAAA

7. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 10:33 Creston

Elite 4 has been rumored to be in development for more than a dozen years. Where everyone's been picking on DNF as the ultimate vaporware, Elite 4 really should have taken that crown.

It's never going to appear.

Creston

6. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 10:04 Armengar

venomhed wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 09:39:
All I have to say is that they need to make it so that you can get out of your ship, FP style and go into buildings within cities, buy/sell/explore, get in vehicles. A modern day translation of this game just won't do.

There was a game like this - mercenary 2 I think it was. Was quite hard and good for the time.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

5. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 09:44 InBlack

Ahhhh Elite. The nostalgia is warming up my ice-cold heart...  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 09:39 venomhed

All I have to say is that they need to make it so that you can get out of your ship, FP style and go into buildings within cities, buy/sell/explore, get in vehicles. A modern day translation of this game just won't do.

3. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 09:34 ASeven

FUCK YEAH! Loved Elite and love Frontier even more, bring on Elite 4!  

2. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 09:28  Blue 

gilly775 wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 09:26:
There was an Elite 3? The last I played was Elite 2. Anyway, looking forward to this. Could be an offline Eve Online. lol.

Yeah, it was called Frontier: First Encounters, but Braben had no involvement in it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Braben Still Wants Elite 4 Mar 3, 2011, 09:26 gilly775

There was an Elite 3? The last I played was Elite 2. Anyway, looking forward to this. Could be an offline Eve Online. lol.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo