Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Rock, Paper, Shotgun notes that the entry on Old Man Murray was deleted from Wikipedia (thanks Ryan), which seems like a shame, and is a little inexplicable. They suggest this may have been part of someone's agenda, so perhaps this can still be remedied. I'm sympathetic, both as a huge OMM fan, and also because after surviving one nomination for deletion, this site's entry suffered "speedy deletion" the second time it was nominated. I never tried to add to the article myself, as that seemed tacky, so this is at least partly my fault, but it does seem odd that a site that offers "3,573,885 articles, and 23,384,576 pages in total" feels the need to remove articles in such a manner, it's not like it's an actual book that's getting too big to carry. Oh well.

Deleted Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Necrorun.
Flaming Zombooka 2 Level Pack.
Energy Physics.
Links: The Seven Deadly Sins of Gaming.
Dog Must Eat Standing Up.
Television Shows Out of Their Time. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Huge 'Game of Thrones' news- 'Dance With Dragons' publication date revealed.
Toymaker Produces Action Figures of Old Spice Guy, ‘Most Interesting Man’.
Mario versus the flagpole - animation.
Media: Sheen Wars - Darth Sheen doesn't have time for these clowns.
The 50 Greatest Opening Title Sequences of All Time. Thanks Dark Roasted Blend.
Follow-up: Third "Transformers" Trailer Debut Dates.
Robert Kirkman on 'Walking Dead' season two- 'You haven't seen anything yet'.
Anne Hathaway confirms she's Catwoman.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2011, 00:34 Umbragen

Old Man Murray, their review of Deus Ex as a seminal moment in the history of both internet journalism and satire. I had an email address at evilemail for years, a 'paid for' address, I thought they were brilliant, but working for Valve? What the fuck? I hope their parking is paid for.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 20:41 Bucky

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:40:
TorchMaster wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:44:
With that said, there are many that think this is the best fantasy series by the best writer in the genre, so if you aren't familiar with it you should consider checking it out.

He's really overrated in my opinion. His taste for cruelty appeals to peoples inner deviant but the series itself doesn't seem to have any direction and his prose is good but not up to Patrick Rothfuss, Steven Erikson or Joe Abercromie. His characterization is strong, I will give him that at least. He writes in a style I liken to a medieval soap opera and I suspect that's where a lot of his "mainstream" fantasy appeal comes from. I'm surprised anyone is willing to tolerate the years long wait between his books either, the man spends umpteen hours updating his blog about cons, football and pizza but whoops he can't seem to write until his advances are due. At one point a friend of mine was whining about how he had missed his fourth announced release date for his latest book. I couldn't help but think of a terrible battered spouse analogy.

My vote for best author in the genre would probably go to Erikson, though that's partly colored by the fact that I'm re-reading the series right now as preparation for the last two books (of which the last was just released, I believe).

25. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 17:00 Paketep

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:51:
Both Martin and Jordan would (have) benefited GREATLY from an editor that would have said "Look, it's a good story, but how about you cut half a million words, mkay?"

So true. I haven't even touched the last WoT book, which if I remember correctly is now being converted into three books being written by a different author who spoke with Jordan and got his notes before he died.

As for Fire and Ice, I'm doubting whether to wait, since this book took 5 fucking years and there are still, what, 3 books left apart from this one?. It'll be 20 years before he finishes (assuming he does). I can read them all then.

As for the wikipedia, the fact that Blue's is not in there, and that a stupid editor with a grudge can delete one of gaming's most important websites of all time shows how irrelevant it's becoming. Next time they ask me to contribute, they're going to be waiting a long time for my dough.

24. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 16:02 Ratty

PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:46:
I'm just now working my way through Wheel of Time (on my wonderful Kindle) and am up to 25% through book 4. At what point should I expect the series to start nosediving?
Umm, maybe in the next few pages? I don't remember when I exactly became disappointed. I think it was in the one where they had to find some magic dinner plate weather controlling device thing. Talk about a huge plot that had zero bearing on the series and was created solely to sell one more book. I'm a HUGE WoT fan. I love the world and mythos Jordan has created. But he really started writing a bunch of useless books to extend the series and milk more money out of the franchise. Seriously, you could cut out like 5 of the books and not miss a thing. This Sanderson fellow has been excellent though. His style is indistinguishable from Jordan's to my eye and both books he's written have been some of the best of the whole series. I can't think of any other series where someone else has taken over the reigns from a deceased author and did a better job. Don't get me started with the Dune abominations.

Edited to hide potential spoiler.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2011, 16:19.

23. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 15:58 Verno

I'm just now working my way through Wheel of Time (on my wonderful Kindle) and am up to 25% through book 4. At what point should I expect the series to start nosediving?

A lot of people seemed to be turned off by A Crown of Swords but I was fine until Winter's Heart.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

22. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 15:51 Creston

It's still good for another two to three books. Then Jordan started bringing back dead enemies (making everything that happened in books 1-7 irrelevant,) and at that point it was Fonzie time.

I think the most retarded thing in Wheel of Time was that the heroes could walk from one end of the continent to the other in the space of half a book, but when (secret) the Aes Sedai march on the Tower to reclaim it, it literally takes them like five fucking books to get there.

Both Martin and Jordan would (have) benefited GREATLY from an editor that would have said "Look, it's a good story, but how about you cut half a million words, mkay?"

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 15:46 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 15:40 Verno

TorchMaster wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:44:
With that said, there are many that think this is the best fantasy series by the best writer in the genre, so if you aren't familiar with it you should consider checking it out.

He's really overrated in my opinion. His taste for cruelty appeals to peoples inner deviant but the series itself doesn't seem to have any direction and his prose is good but not up to Patrick Rothfuss, Steven Erikson or Joe Abercromie. His characterization is strong, I will give him that at least. He writes in a style I liken to a medieval soap opera and I suspect that's where a lot of his "mainstream" fantasy appeal comes from. I'm surprised anyone is willing to tolerate the years long wait between his books either, the man spends umpteen hours updating his blog about cons, football and pizza but whoops he can't seem to write until his advances are due. At one point a friend of mine was whining about how he had missed his fourth announced release date for his latest book. I couldn't help but think of a terrible battered spouse analogy.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 15:22 Ratty

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:19:
Never have read any more of the Thomas Covenant stuff. How did the later stuff do compared to the original three books?
I think the first trilogy was definitely the most enjoyable. The others were definitely worth reading but in each terrible things have happened to the Land and it's all just weirder and more depressing. I'm not liking the third trilogy as much as the first two so far.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 13:19 Mr. Tact

Ratty wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 12:01:
Just finished the third new Thomas Covenant book...
I read the original three when they came out. When he did the second trilogy I attempted to read it and ran into the "I don't remember enough" problem.. since then I really try to wait on novels when it's clear there is going to be a series...

Never have read any more of the Thomas Covenant stuff. How did the later stuff do compared to the original three books?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 12:55 SCPM

I really want to read the "Song of Ice and Fire" books, but I'm going to wait until GRRM completes the series before I even pick one up. I'm not going through what happened with Dune all over again. Actually, I might as well ask those of you reading it, is each book like the Dune books, in that they end with a cliffhanger and no true sense of resolution?  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 12:01 Ratty

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:28:
Ratty wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:02:
Loved Game of Thrones but it was one of those things where by the time the next book came out I totally forgot the characters and plot of the previous books..
This is why I have purchased the books but not read them yet... I am waiting for him to finish.
Just finished the third new Thomas Covenant book but after I had tried to read the first chapter I decided to go back and reread book 2 first and it made all the difference in the world. I had forgot so much of it it was like reading it entirely new for the first time. I think I tried that with Game of Thrones but as somebody said there are so many characters and subplots I would have had to go back to the very first book and start all over. I think you have it right, wait for it to be finished. The TV series will hold me over in the meantime.

15. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 11:44 TorchMaster

I just finished Book 3 of the "Song of Fire and Ice" series last night. I have issues with the writing style here, but the second half of Book 3 was tremendous. I'm hooked again and ready to continue.

I feel there are too many characters presented, there is too much jumping around across viewpoints, and too much focus on descriptions of meaningless visual details. These books would be better if edited down from 900 pages in my opinion.

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:42 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:35:
He'll finish his life LONG before he ever finishes that story...

Creston
Maybe. If so I'll at least know ahead of time to expect an unfinished ending. Or decide not to read them because of the lack of an ending...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:35 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:28:
Loved Game of Thrones but it was one of those things where by the time the next book came out I totally forgot the characters and plot of the previous books..
This is why I have purchased the books but not read them yet... I am waiting for him to finish.

He'll finish his life LONG before he ever finishes that story...

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:28 Mr. Tact

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:19 nin

IIRC, they had a huge fallout with... I think it was UGO, over getting paid. Once the checks stopped coming, they stopped writing.

I always wondered what happened there, why they suddenly stopped one day...

Damn awesome site back in the day...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:15 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 10:31:
Blue wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 10:19:
Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek were both hired by Valve.
So, they are too busy working to post?

IIRC, they had a huge fallout with... I think it was UGO, over getting paid. Once the checks stopped coming, they stopped writing. All the guys that contributed to the site at one point or another have all long since moved on.

Chet and Erik write the funnies for Valve, Seanbaby writes for Cracked, etc.

RIP OMM. You were teh awesome.

On a sidenote, Walking Dead Season Two. FUCK AND YES.

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:06 Dmitri_M

If this can sit on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenaline_Vault - so can bluesnews, dammit.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2011, 11:02 Ratty

Loved Game of Thrones but it was one of those things where by the time the next book came out I totally forgot the characters and plot of the previous books so just kind of gave up. I've always intended to pick it up from the beginning at some point and read the whole series all the way through but I'm kind of wondering whether I should hold off until well after the new TV series gets started. I'm thinking it might make the series fresher and more enjoyable with some surprises that might have been spoiled by rereading the books.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo