Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification

The quote from last week about the DRM is Assassin's Creed Brotherhood saying "The PC version of Assassinís Creed Brotherhood, after an initial login, will be playable offline in single player mode," was widely interpreted to mean the game would require one online connection every time you played. Then Verno pointed out a tweet by Gabriel Graziani that said this about authentication: "Once after install... then offline play will be available to you." We contacted Ubisoft and confirmed that the stealth/action sequel will only need a single online authentication, after which the single-player campaign will always be available.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 3, 2011, 21:07 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 23:26:
Step 1: Come up with DRM based on authentication. People won't go for it, but that's ok, since you:

Step 2: Crank it up a notch, and see if it still flies. It won't, but that's fine, since then we have...

Step 3: After everyone is suitably outraged, roll it back to the original plan, and watch gamers give praise. You're now a saint, people buy your product, and you have the auth you wanted all along.

You chumps are being played.

What exact DRM free pc games do you play? That said I don't know the last time I played a UBI game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 3, 2011, 10:35 reisub

I never get games day 1 (Portal 2 is awfully tempting though) but if word here is favourable I'll probably pick it up soon after. I've wanted to play an Assassin's Creed since the first one but some things put my off it and the second, well...

I accept Steam so I can't really moan about this level of DRM too much.

22. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 3, 2011, 09:41 Verno

AC2 is a pretty big improvement over AC1 but the plot is....ehhhh. I mean it's worth it for the introduction to Ezio but AC:B has a decent roundup in terms of the overall story arch. Still though I can understand not wanting to play the games if you can't do it in order. Shame Ubisoft lost another customer due to silly DRM.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

21. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 3, 2011, 08:30 necrosis

Verno wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 20:17:
Thanks Blue for following up on that. It's a fantastic game and willingness to change should be met halfway so I will pick this up on Steam. This is no different from DRM from companies like Activision, EA and so on. I know some of you own games from those companies. Give it some thought is all I'm saying, don't dismiss it outright.

The only question I have is AC2's DRM reduced to this level?

Doesn't appear to be unfortunately.
Well then I will still skip AC:B. What is the point in getting AC:B if you dont play AC2, which I wont touch because of the DRM.

20. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 3, 2011, 06:56 Verno

Step 1: Come up with DRM based on authentication. People won't go for it, but that's ok, since you:

Step 2: Crank it up a notch, and see if it still flies. It won't, but that's fine, since then we have...

Step 3: After everyone is suitably outraged, roll it back to the original plan, and watch gamers give praise. You're now a saint, people buy your product, and you have the auth you wanted all along.

The original plan is quite acceptable compared to what other publishers do. I don't really care about their plans so long as they deliver games I want to play with protection that I can live with. You own games with worse DRM, chump.

19. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 3, 2011, 06:45 J

Whiners love to whine

18. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 3, 2011, 06:26 TheVocalMinority

My thoughts exactly - The classic Door-in-the-face technique

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

17. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:52 Quboid

I presume this is aimed partly at me? I don't think Ubi are saints, far from it. I distrust them a lot, but I'm not going to deprive myself of games I'd like to play just because they used to be nasty. If everyone did that, there would be no incentive for them to back down. It was rash to pre-order and not wait for post-release reports but hey, someone has to do the post-release reporting.

I bought Ubi games, the ones worth buying. Then they put always-on DRM in and I stopped buying Ubi games. They are removing the always-on DRM and I've bought an Ubi game. That's not being played, that's sending Ubi a message - albeit a message they'll never notice.

- Quboid

16. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:35 raVen

Nope, I had to replace my CD-R drive in order to play the game. I have a long hatred of Ubisoft.  

15. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:34 Jerykk

First game I regretted buying from them was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I bought 2 copies, one for me, and one for my brother and his family.

Uh, Sands of Time didn't have UbiDRM. It had a basic disc check, if I recall correctly. You must be thinking of Forgotten Sands.

14. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:26 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:11 raVen

Hey, I've been burned more than 2x by these asshats. First game I regretted buying from them was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I bought 2 copies, one for me, and one for my brother and his family.

I couldn't play it for weeks due to DRM, and that was before all of this online auth nonsense. Since then the only games I've played from UBI have been on console, and since this always online DRM push I refuse to even buy their console games in protest.

I honestly don't think there is anything they can do to regain my trust at this point. I have plenty of other games to play and other companies to support anyways.

12. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 23:10 Jerykk

This is definitely an improvement, though being forced to make an Ubisoft account is annoying, particularly if you buy the game on Steam. Depending on how this goes, I may actually start buying Ubisoft games again.  

11. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 21:38 Dr. D. Schreber

That's not sensible. Writing off entire companies gives them no incentive to actually change.

But hey, it's less effort to feel empowered by generalizing instead of actually being an informed consumer who researches individual products.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

10. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 21:24 ASeven

A step in the right direction but they still have to earn my trust again. Still, a good step. And still, all the money Ubisoft spent on the DRM was for nothing it seems.  

9. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 20:31 Mashiki Amiketo

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 20:17:
Well I judge every release on it's own merits. I'm crazy like that.
I judge every release based on how badly the company who wants my money is trying to screw me without lube. I'm quite sensible like that.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 20:23 Quboid

I agree with Verno and I've pre-purchased on Steam. I never bought AC2 because the DRM was unacceptable. They've changed it, I've considered the new circumstances, and while it's not ideal, it is acceptable. I hope people like Verno and me will result in a sales spike that helps them see that draconian DRM is bad for business. Hey, I can dream.

Am I right in thinking that multiplayer is like The Ship? That was a great concept, so tense.

- Quboid

7. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 20:17 HorrorScope

Well I judge every release on it's own merits. I'm crazy like that.  

6. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 20:17 Verno

Thanks Blue for following up on that. It's a fantastic game and willingness to change should be met halfway so I will pick this up on Steam. This is no different from DRM from companies like Activision, EA and so on. I know some of you own games from those companies. Give it some thought is all I'm saying, don't dismiss it outright.

The only question I have is AC2's DRM reduced to this level?

Doesn't appear to be unfortunately.

5. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 19:47 raVen

Too little, too late. Ubisoft can go die in a fire.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo